OBA_spawn

Final Cheers To OBA

I have some sad news to deliver. I know quite a few people here would like to know, and have a chance to say goodbye to a very respected member of this online community.

Osama_Bin_Athlon, aka OBA, aka Doug, passed away on Friday the 18th of September due to long term health issues. There will be a final cheers to OBA held at 11.30am on Friday the 2nd of October, at his favourite watering hole The Dry Dock at Balmain. Please feel free to join OBA's two daughters Carrie, and Ricki (aka me, OBA_spawn), and OBA's sister Glenys for a final cheers to OBA at the venue, followed by a small stroll to the waters edge to sprinkle the ashes of OBA.

If you would like to attend, please let me know here so that we can get an idea of numbers for our booking.

If you have any photos of my Dad, could you please email them to me if you can at rmckeon9@gmail.com

We would love to have them.

Edited by OBA_spawn

This is really sad news.

RIP Doug. And condolences to his friends and family.

I only met him once, fairly sure at a medium sized Atomic event way back in 2004 at the Fox Studio complex (IIRC OBA_spawn was there also).

Also had the pleasure of his presence both here and at the Dudeworld forums.

He posted some pretty amusing stories over the years, might be nice if some of them could be gathered up.

Very sad news. My condolences to you and your sister OBA_spawn. And of course to his sister.

I only ever knew him here, and as Rybags said above enjoyed his yarns and conversations I had with him.

R.I.P Osama_Bin_Athlon

:(

• Like 1

I'm really sorry to hear that. He contributed a lot to this community.

My condolences to you, and all his family and friends.

Rob.

Edited by robzy
  • Like 1

I have some sad news to deliver. I know quite a few people here would like to know, and have a chance to say goodbye to a very respected member of this online community.

Osama_Bin_Athlon, aka OBA, aka Doug, passed away on Friday the 18th of September due to long term health issues. There will be a final cheers to OBA held at 11.30am on Friday the 2nd of October, at his favourite watering hole The Dry Dock at Balmain. Please feel free to join OBA's two daughters Carrie, and Ricki (aka me, OBA_spawn), and OBA's sister Glenys for a final cheers to OBA at the venue, followed by a small stroll to the waters edge to sprinkle the ashes of OBA.

If you would like to attend, please let me know here so that we can get an idea of numbers for our booking.

If you have any photos of my Dad, could you please email them to me if you can at rmckeon9@gmail.com

We would love to have them.

Aww, crap. I'm very sorry to hear it, OBA_Spawn. I only met the guy the once, but I liked him. My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

I won't be able to attend, unfortunately, but...I'll have drink in his memory.

• Like 1

Thank you. This community meant a lot to Dad.

And your father meant a lot to Atomic.

Like others, I only met OBA a couple of times, but I always thought it was particularly cool to get to meet such a significant personality of the Atomic community.

RIP OBA :-(

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear that, he was quite the character around here, being other side of the island I will not be able to attend but will be raising a glass and sending good wishes to him wherever he may be, a good place I'm sure.

Cheers

• Like 1

Vale OBA.

Shit, just this weekend I found my Issue 100 poster, the mosaic with all the v2 forum avatars. OBA's was one of the ones I recognised.

• Like 1

RIP Douglas,will miss our drinking sessions wheni used to come overto central,glebe,balmain,this gentalman taught me how to build OC computers.

Hadnt seen him for a couple of years due to family and work,i remember he told me of his illness,i feel your sorrow OBA_spawn as i lost my dad last year

I will do my best to make it next Friday.

Thomas aka "shirl"

• Like 1

Well, shit, I'm not even sure what to say.

My condolences dude, I'll definitely have a few drinks for him

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that. RIP OBA.
I remember the good old days when this place was really bustling, he was always a valued contributor to the tech sections of these forums.

See you opn the flip side.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Can't make it, but will raise a beer in his honour on the 2nd.

He was a good bloke and always brought value with him, whereever he went.

AD

• Like 1

This is very sad news.

Had many a good time here with OBA.

A true legend of the forums and im sure to his family.

RIP Doug :(

• Like 1

RIP OBA.

Never met him but enjoyed his lively contributions to the community, and they were many.

Thoughts are with you Ricki and all of OBA's family.

• Like 1