Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

maximum resoution

Is there a point at which we will stop seeing increase in resolution? Have we already reached that point? Can anyone make use of resolution greater than "4 k"? The human eye must have limitations.

I am interested in individual experience. For me I think 2560 x 1440 is enough. I can't see tiniest details at a distance that lets me see the whole screen properly.

Anyone using "4 K"?

I am interested in individual experience.

Then perhaps you should have put more effort into your OP, and asked what you really wanted to know.

Discus.

Eventually we'll probably have cinema screens that use equivalent technology to TVs. As such, even 16K resolution would be pretty paltry.

For home use I don't see reason to stop at 4K. We have times where rendering or transmission over whatever standard of cabling becomes a bottleneck but the next generation in each component usually sorts that out.

A lot of it comes down to application and how far you view from.

Tablets with the povvo 1024x600 res in screens of 7-10 inch size are OK for viewing videos and many gaming situations but pretty useless if you want to deal with text or productivity situations.

Similarly a low-end TV that does 768 rather than 1080 vertically is still fine for watching TV but not much chop as a computer monitor.

When I go up a res (on my desktop PC), I go up in screen size.

The only reason I 'settled' on 1280x768 on my 15" laptop is the onboard GPU is pretty shit, and native res gaming makes life easier.

• Like 1

Tablets with the povvo 1024x600 res in screens of 7-10 inch size are OK for viewing videos and many gaming situations but pretty useless if you want to deal with text or productivity situations.

I disagree;

By that math Text should be hard to read on my 1920x1200 21" monitors.

In a productivity situation you should rightfully expect a 16:9 display to comfortably show 200 columns of text (fair enough most in use fonts these days are proportionally spaced so it's an inexact science).

In fact, the courier font for this reply window if you switch from WYSIWYG to BBCode mode works out to about 230 columns on my 1920x1080 monitor.

That's 8 pixels per character which has been generally accepted as the minimum since the 1980s.

But of course these days we tend to have scaled rendering of fonts - in such cases the more resolution you throw at it the better.