Ishta2000

Home FreeNas server not being detected by my smart TV.

Hi All,

So my FreeNas home service is working great. I can save all my documents, videos and photos to it. I access them through my HTPC on my Sony UHD TV. Problem is if I want to use my TV to try and access the content on the service my TV cannot find the server. It says the Media server has not been setup. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers

Hi All,

So my FreeNas home service is working great. I can save all my documents, videos and photos to it. I access them through my HTPC on my Sony UHD TV. Problem is if I want to use my TV to try and access the content on the service my TV cannot find the server. It says the Media server has not been setup. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Cheers

Have you actually set up a DLNA server on it?

There is a plugin for plex if you have not.

RTFM. Being Sony TV it should be DLNA. You might have to browse available DLNA servers on the TV and enable the ones you want to use.

On the NAS box there might be work to do as well. With PC based servers you generally have to tell it what directory base to start with and which media types to provide. It also might want to build up an index (which IMO is a PITA). Also check if there's any security stuff that needs taking care of (e.g. enable which devices can connect). Almost forgot - with some servers you can select what device type is receiving, with my Sony Bluray it actually works better if I change it to Sony Bravia or just Generic DLNA device. If there's selectable device type at the server end it can affect which filetypes play successfully.

Haven't used a dedicated box type for DLNA so can't offer much more.

• Like 1

RTFM. Being Sony TV it should be DLNA. You might have to browse available DLNA servers on the TV and enable the ones you want to use.

On the NAS box there might be work to do as well. With PC based servers you generally have to tell it what directory base to start with and which media types to provide. It also might want to build up an index (which IMO is a PITA). Also check if there's any security stuff that needs taking care of (e.g. enable which devices can connect). Almost forgot - with some servers you can select what device type is receiving, with my Sony Bluray it actually works better if I change it to Sony Bravia or just Generic DLNA device. If there's selectable device type at the server end it can affect which filetypes play successfully.

Haven't used a dedicated box type for DLNA so can't offer much more.

Thanks Rybags.

Do you know much about FreeNas? Am I am able to upgradet the OS without wiping the drives and losing my data?

Cheers

I know next to nothing of FreeNas. But what I did read mentioned the OS is typically booted off a flashdrive and should be independant of whatever hosted media is hooked up.