codecreeper

Windows Phones Sandboxed

5.7" ips screen on the 640xl is the main culprit, as ips screens use backlighting.

Thinking of getting another windows phone with a smaller screen. Loved the maps feature it was very handy for me so if i do get another phone i will me looking at the apps for mapping feature. Being in a regional centre like Gladstone it helped me a lot ,even cut down walking times from my apartment to supermarket and avoiding a huge hill. I think leaving the phone on with screen on standby could also drain the power too. As you mentioned a large screen drains power fast this is why i am thinking maybe a smaller screen size.

Strange the app to download Windows 10 disappeared when i arrived back in Adelaide. And i also noticed the phone tracked my movements from Gladstone back to Adelaide. So the GPS tracker does work. Same as the taxi coming home they use a Mapping terminal with gps ,wondered how he knew where i lived so fast.

What does 'phone on with screen on standby' even mean?

Its like PC sleep mode where the screen shuts partly down and only time shows for 15mins then the screen turns off in a sleep mode until you either tap screen or hit button on the side.

You could buy one of those battery top up devices which charge your phone via USB.

You have to remember to charge those still.

Since i have been home i have not used my phone much ,but yes its the IPS screen that chews the power up. Over 24 hours home it has only used up 5% compared to when i was away at %55.

AMOLED screens are better on battery power since they can switch pixels on or off. IPS cannot do that.

Plugged my Phone into my PC and it wanted me to turn on Windows Update ,lolz yeah and get infected by Win10 on my PC.

I don't get how using the wifi radio uses more power than using the phone radio.

I'd wager it's partly the screen but mostly the websites, especially if it's not an especially quick phone. Even mobile sites now load so much bs.

Because the wifi radio is often a different chipset, and if you're not in strong reception spends more time seeking signal.

The mobile phone chipset is always on already, so its the drain you're used to.

Just announced from the Windows Conference in Redmond that next build will include a Fingerprint Scanner to log in too your phone.

Seems like the last build is the most stable of the builds for Win10 Mobile. Still trying to decide whether to stay on 8.1 update2 or upgrade to Win10.

Rang my brother on the mobile phone from adelaide to sydney cost me nothing as my plan allows me so many calls. And i could hear him very clear.