Hi all,

I'm upgrading my graphics card and have a large number of cards to choose from in my price range.

These cards all differ in price by no more than around $50, so it's down to specifications and real-word performance to make the decision. Does anyone have input as to which card may be the best choice (or ones to avoid)?

1. 3G GTX 780 Ti Gigabyte-GHz
  2. 4G GTX 970 Gainward (3354)
  3. 4G GTX 970 Gainward-Phantom (3361)
  4. 4G GTX 970 Asus Turbo-OC
  5. 4G GTX 970 Asus STRIX OC
  6. 4G GTX 970 Gigabyte OC (WF3OC)
  7. 4G GTX 970 G1 Gaming
  8. 4G GTX 970 Twin Turbo OC

Thanks,

jt

overclocking? noise or power use a concern? as noise is the main difference between the 970 models

the 780ti is a old card and a bit more power hungry but still a solid performer

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/R9_390_PCS_Plus/30.html

what resolution you run also has an effect on the choice with amd doing better above 1080p

Hi Dasa,

My monitor is only capable of 1080p so anything greater is not a factor.

To be honest a card that idles quietly would be nice, but once it is working hard I don't care at all - it becomes background noise. At the end of the day if it's a huge difference in performance, I already have a rather noisy GTS 250 so it can't be any worse. Is there somewhere that compares the noise level of different models on one page? (ideally the ones in my original post)

Power use would only be limited by my current power supply. If I have to upgrade then so be it, but it's my understanding that modern cards may actually use less power than older counterparts?
Currently running a Corsair CX500 (http://www.corsair.com/en/builder-series-cx500).

Thanks for the quick reply! I haven't paid attention to the GPU market in a number of years so all I have to go on is what I find online.

jt

I have the Strix and it turns off the fan at idle and its basically silent under 55%. I think some other brands/models turn the fans off too. Another plus is most 970's run pretty cool and OC's well, so I'd skip the Ti but still a good card.

I opted for the evga varient (not on your list) for it's deadly acx 2.0 cooler

past experience with massive factory overclocks saw me frustrated with instabilitry with lack of available voltage to the gpu core (as dictated by the videocards' bios), not sure if that still happens these days but I've been scared by that experience and henceforth only grab the moderately clocked ones

Hey jt

I'd go for the G1 Gaming 970, it's built with gaming performance in mind, and is probably going to get you the most life out of your card right now.

The overclock edition is great too, but if you really don't mind the little bit extra, the G1 gaming edition is well worth it.

Gaming G1 970, it's worth it as you can OC better than most 970s are on par or slightly worse than a 780ti, but still probably better to get maxwell in case you want to go 165hz on some monitors.