Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

Thermal goop, what's your preference these days?

i just grabbed some grizzly and liquid ultra

only place i would use the liquid ultra though is under the cpu ihs

as5 is on that list at 9,43

Been using a HSF that requires screwing in from the back which makes reapplication a major operation - been meaning to modify my case backplate such that taking the motherboard out isn't necessary.

As such I just use the normal cheap silicone stuff because in my experience the silver based types tend to dry out and lose effectiveness after a while.

By the looks of the test, the T12, Silmore and probably 1 or 2 others fall into that generic silicone class. Sort of funny that there's so-called enthusiast products that are aimed at power users that performed worse in the test.

So all up, looks like about a third of the compounds tested were either worse or so close to the generics that it'd barely be worth using them.

ed - would have been nice if they did include some "control" items like the cheap bulk paste that electronics shops sell, and if possible some of the pre-applied tape/gunk that some HSFs still come with.

Edited by Rybags

I swapped from AS5 to Noctua NT-H1 as soon as it launched, preferring the consistency and ease of removal (plus it's non-conductive). It lasts for ages without drying and needs no curing time. One tube/syringe goes a long way.

I swapped from AS5 to Noctua NT-H1 as soon as it launched, preferring the consistency and ease of removal (plus it's non-conductive). It lasts for ages without drying and needs no curing time. One tube/syringe goes a long way.

good for ihs but apparently not so good for bare dies it has a tendency to pump out with all the expansion\contraction from hot to cold over time

• Like 1