Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Hippiekiller

Advice on VPN setup

Hello,

I am looking into using VPN service.
I am considering using CyberGhost but only want to pay for a plan that covers 1 device.
Originally I wanted to try and run it on my NAS where I run a torrent client, but I thought it might be good to try and set it up so it covers my entire network.
I have read that it isnt a great idea to run the VPN client directly on my router as the router would not be "fast / powerful" enough to handle it.

So I was thinking I could build my own router / linux box.. i remember many moons ago following a how to guide provided by atomic to build a linux firewall / gateway / router...
Sorry for sounding like such a goose, but it has been years since I have dabbled in anything *nix related.

one question though springs to mind, would it be possible to replace my ISP's provided router (I am on a fixed wireless NBN service) with a home made linux job that I could install the cyberghost VPN service on or would it be best to plug the supplied router into the linux gateway I try and build and then have that plugged into my switch?

I also remember many moons ago building a smoothwall box with 2 NICS in it that had similar setup with an ADSL connection.

Or am I just over cooking this?

Oh, reason I thought about the linux box was that I cant find out (or work out) how to install the cyberghost client on my shitty Thecus N2200 NAS.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Doing it at the router level will VPN all your traffic. Its probably the easiest way.

I'm quite a fan of hide.me

Yes, I was a happy client of hide.me but i personally dont like their customer support so i switched to purevpn