Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

Asis Mobo CPU Led troubleshooting, help please.

Hi,

my brother's computer was overheating last summer and it did shut down a few times because of it. Now I was away overseas and told him to take it easy and I would look into it. Another thing was that occasionaly it would not start up. The CPU Led would light up and it would not post. Fan and all had power, but no post.

I returned and changed his thermal paste which did fix the overheating issue. The CPU red light still appeared. When this happened it would not post. He had to unplug the power for a few hours and the try to boot. It sometimes would post etc and it would work unless he shut down. Then the issue might appear again.

Now his PC consisted of the following:

AMD 8350 8 core at 4GHz PSU with noctua NH-U9B cpu cooler

ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 mobo

Corsair CX600M PSU

Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X GPU

16GB RAM and 256gb SSD.

Now trying to troubleshoot this error, I read somewhere that the CPU Led would light up when CPU is not present. So anyway he was in a hurry to get his PC fixed and so we did not bother with sending the mobo back, and we ordered a new mobo.

We now have the ASUS Sabertouth 990FX R2.0. So I installed the mobo today. I started a new clean install of windows, and after the first shutdown, the post issue appeared again. So we get a CPU Led and no post again.

Now the thing is that we could not have two failed mobos. So my thought is that it might be the CPU. The heating issues that he had might have cooked it or something.

He wants to get a new CPU.

My question is. Can we diagnose this issue? Is it really the CPU? And if it is, then we want to get the AMD FX-9590 4.7GHZ 8-CORE BOX.

Now the previous CPU needed 125W, and the new AMD FX-9590 4.7GHZ needs 220W.

If we do end up getting the new CPU, will the system handle it? Will the PSU handle it? Can you recomend a cpu heatsink to go with the AMD FX-9590 4.7GHZ? Cause my guess is that a cooler needs to be able to take 220W psu heat right?

Any thouhgts or direction would be appreciated.

thank you

To diagnose you'd want to try another CPU. But if even a new motherboard shuts down then it's pointing to the CPU or the power supply.

There's power supply calculators around so you could use one to deduce if your requirements are too much. Generally you should factor in 15-20% extra to be sure and it also helps to keep the PSU away from 100% as it lessens the load on it.

Cooling for a 220W CPU - yep you'd need the best you can get. I've just gone through getting a 130W Xeon up to scratch. If you were having problems with a lesser FX that uses little over half that power then you'll definately have issues with the more powerful CPU.

What I found is that when running at 300 MHz or more under peak speeds things were fine but if at top speed or kicking into turbo mode then that was when the trouble began.

The solution is not only good cooling for the CPU but also to get that heat out of the case. Video card cooling should be factored in as well. If it doesn't do a good job of controlling it's fan then consider something like SpeedFan to control it.

Thanks for the reply.

The system is cool enough, I mean we have the CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo fully loaded with fans.

As far as cpu cooling is consered, do they have specs that mention howmany watts cpu they can handle?

Have you checked for bent pins ,missing pins or broken pins and or thermal paste on the socket.

Also check for grounding issues on CPU mounting for the FAN ,sometimes they can short out on the mobo.

yes checked the socket for termal paste.. and all pin on cpu look fine.

Grounding issues on the CPU mount of Fan? How do you mean?

You tried throttling the CPU to lower speed to stop overheating. Apparently the FX8350 isn't known for being a cool CPU to run!

well I have the same CPU as my brother, but never had such an issue.We never overclock or anything either.

I would remove the Video card ,Ram and HDD's and any other devices attached. Then turn on Mobo and see if light still displays.

I looked up a power calculator and even the FX-9590 at 4.7 will be ok. But I think that it might just be an overclocked 8350 and it might not be worth the extra money.

Now regarding the issue, it is so unclear what this CPU Led is for. It's happening on both mobos. Today I checked and the Noctua cooler seems to be setup right. It is not touching naywhere else. Looked at the backplate as well.

The funny thing is that ti does it I mean the led lights up with no post, then if you unplug the power for a few hours it would post... and then on another shutdown it might not post again and the CPU Led lights up.

Could the CPU be damaged? I bought a new mobo, now going to order a new CPU and new Noctua cooler (bigger one this time)

I need to do a proper test of the Power Supply, will also take appart the cpu again. Clean it, check for bent pins and try again.

I am getting sick of PCs like this. When things fail and it is not certain what it might be. All these expensive motherboards, led indicators that are not accurate. CPU Led, is it the power form the PSU? Could it be the cooler fans that are 3 pin and not 4? Could this cause it? But why not all the time? How can it work and then not? Why isn't the problem all the time? Why would it post if left without power for hours?

I'm a bit puzzled, you done all you can other than replace CPU or PSU. I had an Athlon system (overclocked) and the CPU fan died. Well, the CPU cooked itself as well when the fan died. Never had that happen with any of my Intel systems though.

Earlier CPUs didn't have on-die sensors let alone safety functions to throttle or shutdown on overtemp situations.

Bios based systems are well and good but would likely fail if the system has a hang situation before the thermal runaway occurs.

Checked the PSU could a problem in their ,when you removed the power cable it was powering down. Could be a dud capacitor in their spiking the voltage or even a rail not supplying enough power.

Try a different PSU ,sounds more like the PSU now.

I'm a bit puzzled, you done all you can other than replace CPU or PSU. I had an Athlon system (overclocked) and the CPU fan died. Well, the CPU cooked itself as well when the fan died. Never had that happen with any of my Intel systems though.

I have never ever overclocked and always had AMD systems (my last intel was a 486sx 33, and a Pentium 3). I have never overclocked cause I always believed that I was shortening the lifespan of the system. And also because I never had the cash to play around like that. Always had AMD cpu and ATI/AMD GPU. I still remember my 3dfx voodoo ;)

Checked the PSU could a problem in their ,when you removed the power cable it was powering down. Could be a dud capacitor in their spiking the voltage or even a rail not supplying enough power.

Try a different PSU ,sounds more like the PSU now.

I will check the 8 pin for voltage with a voltage meter and see what reading I get. It will be a pain to spend money on a new CPU and CPU Cooler when it might be the PSU

• Like 1

Well, I just checked the 24 pin and 8 pin rail with my multimeter and all voltages seem fine. So now going to order a new CPU and Heatsink. Going to order the 8350 again cause the 9370 seems to be an overclocked version that requires more power. And going to also get the Noctua NH-D15 this time.

I'd be avoiding them new fangled GPU cooking Crimson AMD GPU drivers if I was you at the moment as well.

Edited by Jeruselem

Is this for the GPU? I installed these new drivers on my system (the new interface and all). My brother has AMD too, so I shouldn't use them? I need to read on this. Didn't they release an update to fix such a big problem?

Yeah, the new GPU drivers ... hopefully they fixed the low fan speed issue! The first Crimson drivers were pulled from release real quick.

Edited by Jeruselem

Well, I never update unless the software brings it up as a notification for an updated driver. So I guess it should be ok. I need to read up on this.

OK,

so I just installed the new CPU, new Noctua NH-D15, and installed windows 10, all my apps... then did the test. Shut down... same problem.

What's left to do now is to get a new PSU. Honestly what a waste of money :(

I just hope that when I change PSU it will be ok... and then I might build another system with the old mobo and cpu.

:( :( :(

Wasted so much money now. Getting a new PSU. Which I got that first, but like I said... the mobo indicator seems to be a problem for a lot of people. Without being clear what it is. I read so many different things online, from a bad BIOS to stabilizing voltages... hoestly have been put off by all of this.

We might get a new PSU and still have the same issue....crazy.

EDIT: could have built a new Intel system with all the money spent so far

Edited by ROUBOS

OK so we installed the new PSU. Corsair 650X edition which is GOLD rated. So far so good. It is fine. Could of been the PSU at the end, but now we've spent money and changed everything

When I was toying with the idea of AMD 6 or 8 core, someone mentioned the power requirements can be really high and that some motherboards have stability issues with them.

Where I live, the heat is terrible for half the year. If you don't run your pc in aircon, it's gonna bake the components especially psus

Edited by Jeruselem