Sign in to follow this  
phenomenal187

DVR / Home Security

Looking into getting some home security up and running. Goddamn Junkies are everywhere.

Are the budget Security cameras worth it?

I'm specifically looking at getting on of these systems from ebay, but at JB HIFI an 8 channel SWANN setup is $799.

Is this a case of paying more for the brand name, or is there really a justifiable reason to pay 4x more?

Edited by phenomenal187

I've got a Swann system that i bought of catch of the day a while back for about $400 which was a four camera system.

With a branded system you get a bit more certainty from it, how they are setting an 8 channel system for $200 I have no idea I would really be questioning the quality there even though it does specify they are 600TVL cameras.

For $200 thats not a whole lot to be out of pocket if it doesn't work out but you need to think of things like warranty as well.

For decent quality cameras, $100 per is probably in the ballpark. On top of that you then have the recording unit, it's UI, storage space, etc, to factor in.

600 TVL is really low quality. You want something around 1200TVL if you can.

I'm using a Floureon 960h system. It's a four port but comes with 2 cameras and no hard drive... Hence cheap. iirc it was about £80. I already had a 1Tb drive kicking around so used that.

However....

Just sent this email off....

My CCTV system installed 6 months ago has been working flawlessly (except for not getting the email to work !) has developed what appears to be horizontal white lines or "Sparklies".

It's a four port system but was purchased with just two cameras (OEM). Both cameras succumbed to the sparklies at the same time.

I checked all the cables and unplugged each camera individually but the problem still persists. I have also tried plugging the power feed into an entirely separate power outlet.

I plugged in my old Video Camera to test the unit and as you can see in the video, there is no issue.

Are the cameras malfunctioning ?

Regards

I'm thinking of upgrading to 1500TVL system after Chrimbo as I want an extra camera to cover my driveway anyway

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014R01UGG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3GECW62LBTENA&coliid=I35H08XK5BHZIA&psc=1

Edited by Outcast_Aussie

600 TVL is really low quality. You want something around 1200TVL if you can.

Just for anyone interested in ^that line, here's a quick YouTube comparison of lower rez options:

Bearing in mind that YT itself is going to introduce some graphic muddying, AND you can mess yourself up by watching in a lower rez than it could possibly go to, I'm personally not that fussed about the big TVL numbers.

I've resolved that issue I had....

It was the Camera PSU breaking down.

I bought an upgraded system and before I changed everything over I tried the new camera psu.

Success

I don't know much about electronics but looking at it's power outputs I'm not surprised really.

Old psu is 2000mA
New is 2A (Both 12v)

2000 mA is 2 Amps.

Like a PC or anything else, it's good to have a power supply that's capable of providing somewhat more current than is needed.

Also in the modern day, a lot of power supplies will work on mains voltage from 110 - 250 Volts and uses PWM techniques to step down to the required voltage.

The advantage is that they tend to be a lot cooler running and more likely to survive the situation of running continuously for years at a time.

Plus, they should tolerate drift of passive components within them so over time continue to provide the same output voltage whereas older style types will often just fail or go overvolt.

• Like 2

For outdoor cameras, use Black and White. Don't both with colour. At low light they tend to be crap unless you spend a LOT of money.

Motion sensor lights are worth more than infra-red illumination. (Deterrence is better than catching after they've trashed your place)

Look up local laws on what you are/aren't allowed to record. (Eg. Getting some of the street in your image may be a no-no)

AD

• Like 1

I have a 4chan swann kit ($300). Very simple. Works fine.

I like that it can be powered from a 12v battery.

The cameras need some extra IR spot lighting set up at night to see into the corners of one's yard.

Just took a screengrab of my new setup at night (1500TVL=720p)

I should point out that the back garden has a 48 led infra red booster on the wall. Cam 2 is my driveway beyond the back gate

tN955fW.jpg

Edited by Outcast_Aussie
  • Like 1