Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
slimdog360

Worries about loosing your job?

Is it just me or do other people worry about loosing their jobs? I'm almost 30 now, and I've been working in 'real' jobs (engineer) since about 2006-ish. Pretty much since the GFC the economy all around the world hasn't ben so great. Businesses are always going up and down and I'm always worried about loosing my job. It'd be nice to have just one comfortable position I could retire into.

Is it just me or do other people worry about loosing their jobs? I'm almost 30 now, and I've been working in 'real' jobs (engineer) since about 2006-ish. Pretty much since the GFC the economy all around the world hasn't ben so great. Businesses are always going up and down and I'm always worried about loosing my job. It'd be nice to have just one comfortable position I could retire into.

Why worry?

Work hard to eliminate any debt you might (or better yet, don't go into debt in the first place) have and then if things do go pear-shaped it won't impact on you 'too' much. either way and in ANY issue I can think of, 'worrying' does NOTHING to remedy the situation and only make things worse, both mentally and physically. You could also look into learning to make money that doesn't relate to that paradigm.

• Like 1

Not really. If it's gonna happen there's little I can do to stop it, and if it happens then I just have to try to find another one.

I'm single with no dependants or debts however so I can see how I might have less to fear.

Kind of difficult for me, I'm primarily self-employed, suppose I could fire myself :)

Cheers

"if you don't have the cash, then you cannot afford it"

^^ That's been my motto since I first began working part-time whilst still at school. Some people seem to be able to work

the credit system, not me, I find the fact of owing money really hard to compartmentalise appropriately.

Avoiding debt won't alleviate the worry of stability, it will just give you a little less to worry about should your present employment finish.

"It'd be nice to have just one comfortable position I could retire into."

You probably have just not found the right niche yet, is all.

Not sure we're supposed to feel comfortably situated in our choice of employment these days ... there are always more

coming into the workforce behind us. And they'll all be just as keen to find their place .;) um, sorry, that's not very comforting is it ?

For me, I like what I do and where I do it ... just hope it's still there for me too.

Not worried about employment, rather worried about future. I've got a job tomorrow and next year. But.. Small business. Hasn't been able to afford payrises. Cost of living is going up.

It's a great place to work. Excellent atmosphere and great people. But, I'd be willing to sacrifice that for financial security if necessary. 1 more year. No payrises, and I'll have to look for work elsewhere. Can't afford to stay there for more than 1year. And that sucks, The culture is awesome. What I've learnt is awesome. But... I love my house, wife and son too .

AD

• Like 1

Not worried myself. The demand for software devs is so high that it's near impossible to be unemployed unless you're picky. Even if that changes, I can just go back to working on my own projects. It's a low capital industry.

My employer is doing alright. Yes, the mining boom gone means our mining clients aren't spending but most of our clients are government anyway.

Most engineering work comes and goes with the industry it's in, and they all go through cycles, so the safe job until retirement probably won't eventuate.

But separately from the industry is how the company decides to convey their situation to staff. Some managers are like downplaying how well things are going, others, overstate the position. With time, you can make your own judgement as to how well things are going - are there customers/contracts to be had, and how the other companies in your industry going.

When things are not so good, play things a little safe - limit/avoid big new financial commitments, and perhaps up the level of your financial reserves - If your reserves are ok, then don't stop living, and try not to stress.

• Like 2

I had hoped I would not be dealing with job insecurity this year, but my last employer decided their word wasn't worth much... and my current one seems good so far, but I'm not enamoured with working with people with such bad tempers.

If I lose my job, it's not big deal - no real outstanding debt - but it would hamper my plans for later next year, which would be depressing.

• Like 1

I haven't worried about losing my job in at least 15 years. I was self-employed for one thing, then I had a secure, un-losable job in a university (it's basically impossible to get fired or forcibly downsized in an Australian uni) and then I left to try new things and now I work in the university industry for a large US employer who is expanding into Australia... which the tertiery education industry here can afford to soak up this expansion because our dollar has fallen and our universities are more attractive to foreign students again, so they should have increasing amounts of money.

We just picked up our second client, both very major universities, so I'm still safe.

Up shot is, it doesn't necessarily matter what you do, but it does matter what industry you're in.

Also, what others have said, don't be in debt. I have no useless debt apart from a home loan, and I have 6 months of expenses in the bank in case I am out of work. It would take some incredibly bad luck for me to get into strife.

My advice is, if you're worried about losing your job, start looking for another one. Don't wait until you're desperate, do it now.

• Like 1

I think it's important to have a backup plan, get at least 6-12 months ahead on all of your living expenses, then you know that should anything happen, you'll be okay.