Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Saving a video offline

So a very long time ago (6 years! can you believe?)

I woke up at my girlfriends house, with her still asleep, and crept down to the computer to log into Atomic (as you did 6 years ago),

Someone in the staff had posted up a video which I REALLY enjoyed, called 'Good Morning Internet!' by a group called Spoonbank.

I know it was staff, because it was a front page link.

It was really quite clever, and I showed a lot of people.

Since then,. I can only asssume the group has had a falling out, as basically all their channels are closed, including the authors personal file host (which had the mp3, luckily i still have a copy).

What I have found, is one very last copy on the entire internet.

https://myspace.com/spoonbank/video/good-morning-internet/57406853

Now, I know ripping videos from your own cache is a dark dark grey area, but I really dont want to lose this memory and I dont intend to reupload.

Its a very special day in my life, which reminds me very vividly of a very special person, in addition it was a fun post from atomic in its glory days, and it was a good laugh that newyear with all my geek friends.

I've managed to find what I think is its RTMPE address (rtmpe://fms-videos.myspacecdn.com/;mp4:videos02/43/4a53d82da16f4b33b0a04afcb6a4f7e3/vid.mp4) but since its Adobe encrypted I can find anything that can save it, nor can I find it in my cache file.

Video Download Helper plugin fails, so does UNPLUG, RTMPDUMP also, and a few special apps,

I've also just finished fighting off a bunch of malware from various 'freeware screen recorders' which was a last ditch effort, such as CamStudio, and Bulents Screen Recorder now has 'we collect your data' in its EULA...

Does anyone have a way to help me in this?

Edited by Master_Scythe

Yep, those so-called helper programs are often limited to a few sites and usually stop working whenever a given site changes layout.

The alternative used to be to use IE then just trawl through the Temp Internet Files folder.

In the modern day I sometimes find it useful to browse the page source, it'll sometimes have a direct URL that you can just paste in then save the file rather than open it.

Seems in this case though it's just calling the SWF player and using an ID for the file.

/goes off to try the page in IE to see what happens.

Nup... not a lot of luck. I tried on another computer which had never had Flash installed, in IE the page offered up a Youtube embed but the video doesn't exist there.

One step closer - load up the Javascript and it's got a more direct link to the actual video: http://media.myspace.com/play/video/good-morning-internet-57406853-57406853/

Edited by Rybags

Pain, huh?

The type of encryption used I THINK is the same as Netflix uses; has anyone managed to successfully rip netflix streams? The technology is probalby the same.

I just recorded it using Simple Screen Recorder. Unfortunately I haven't defined the sound source correctly so it's mute !!

Gotta take the daughter to *work in a minute but I'll try again when I get back. If it works I'll upload it to youtube

*Works at Primark. Boxing Day in UK is first day of the sales

http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

Those sorts of things I thought of but they're problematic in multiple areas:

- any glitch will become permanent in your copy.

- any annotations, overlays, OSD stuff etc becomes permanent.

- you're stuck with the playback resolution if it happens to be different from the source.

- the source framerate may well be different from the framerate you grab at.

Maybe try that Windows 10 screen-recording thing (designed for let's plays) tricked in to recording the desktop?

Edit: "Game DVR" or something like that, I think it's called... Obviously since it's meant for recording games, the frame rate should be near-native.

Edited by SquallStrife

has anyone managed to successfully rip netflix streams?

FWIW, I'm guessing yes, judging from how many netflix originals shows I've watched without a netflix account.

Done

Had to do it on my laptop as I stuffed up Pulse audio making it real time for my Midi Keyboard

Anyway

Was interested in seeing how it was done. Anyhow the video was marked as private.

Done

Had to do it on my laptop as I stuffed up Pulse audio making it real time for my Midi Keyboard

Anyway

Was interested in seeing how it was done. Anyhow the video was marked as private.

Sorry.. I hadn't "published" it. Try now.

Looks like the Old Lord of the Rings Online video for noobs.

Loved it, Great Job on the repair and fixing it up.

hmmm ... i vaguely remember Hawkeye making a video like this after.

Hawkeye was wearing a pair of green tights and his wife was maid marion.