Sign in to follow this  
Tahlrush

Adsl2 speeds Sinnamon park Qld?

Hey boys and girls, I'm currently in the process of finding a new house to rent.

A place I really like is at Sinnamon Park, I've done a search and it is just within the boundaries of the Jamboree heights exchange, I'm guessing 4km of line between the exchange and the house. I'd imagine it would be a pretty average speed being that far out. Does anybody live in the area or are that far from an exchange and could give me a rough idea on what speeds I could expect?

Thanks in advance!

There's graphs like this all over the place, probably gives a reasonable best-case expectation.

I'm about 1.4km line-of-sight which probably translates to a bit over 2km line length and get speeds a bit over 10.5 mb/s on Speedtest.net and reported connection of 12.6 mb/s in the modem control panel, so close to what's expected.

If it's a new area then probably an advantage of newer lines and equipment @ the exchange but possible penalty with stuff like pair-gaining. Generally any area under 20 years old seems to get well over it's share of complaints about crappy connections.

migrate_faq2.gif

Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah where I am now I'm only getting 3.7 down, so it is rough that's for sure.

Cool thanks again, helps a lot!

Another question, has anybody or have you had 2 people gaming fairly well off a connection about 6mbs down?

Edited by Tahlrush

1.5mbps down is enough to have 5 people FPS gaming (i know from experience) just dont try to surf or download while you game.

its all about pings, not download speed.

Looking at ADSL2Exchanges if you are right on the edge of the JREE Exchange Service Area I assume the house is over near Seventeen Mile Rocks. This area seems to have quite a few RIMs/CMUXs which means if the house is connected to one of those RIMs/Cmuxs distance to the exchange is irrelevant. It is distance to the RIM that counts. So faster speeds theoretically.

The downsides are on a RIM/CMUX you can only go with Telstra or an ISP that resells Telstra (ISPs often call these Off-Net plans), the RIM/CMUX may be ADSL 1 only (so 8Mbit max), the RIM/CMUX may be out of ports (so no ADSL for you till you can snag a port when one becomes free) or godawful RIM/CMUX backhaul congestion.

ADSL2+ says around 12 ports free on the RIMs/CMUXs but that site is often woefully out of date.

You could try and decipher the info on the Telstra Available ADSL Capacity – CAN spreadsheet http://www.telstrawholesale.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/adsl-reports-plans/index.htm but even that can be iffy at times.

Best I can figure out 2 distribution areas have nearly 200 ADSL ports free and two DAs are 2 and 10 ADSL ports available as at 23/12/2015. These numbers can change rapidly so only an indication of port availability.