scruffy1

take the red pill

ah, amd...

having just gotten farcry 4 on special from steam, i was looking forward to some mindless bloodshed and heroics

what i got was recurrent lock ups and blackscreens

i returned my overclock to normal, and did a myriad of config adjusts, with no great benefit

have just swept the drivers and reinstalled "crimson", and was impressed that it downloaded 107% of the files before install.... i am full (over full) of confidence

i would like to believe an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz with 16gig of ram and an hd7950 can run the game, but ubisoft have fucked me over before...

anyone have suggestions to minimise my pain ?

Go searching for other cases of the same occurrence I suppose.

If you had problems then chances are that you've been screwed over by some known issue which there might be a fix for.

"Ah AMD" alright - Since 2001 I've probably run ATI cards 2/3rds of the time. I prefer their control panel and rather see them get my $ than nVidia but they can be a major PITA with drivers and new software at times.

One thing to try though is use a utility that completely rids you of the display driver, do the uninstall using the normal Windows method, boot to Safe and use utility, reboot to normal and install new driver.

The AMD utility I found to not even work at times, pretty sure I ended up using Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.

Edited by Rybags

thanks ry

been there, done all that... i am obsessive in my google-fu, but it seems like far cry 4 is a dog wrt stability

have done a "safe" sweep of drivers and a clean reinstall, and found crimson sets the fan to 30% without adjust for load... thought heat was possibly a problem, but no, even with 55% fan manually, it plays sometimes for an hour, sometimes for a minute of two

at least setting it to frameless instead of fullscreen means it just crashes to the desktop, rather than freezes, although sometimes it still does that d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d... noise and spontaneously reboots

and that with the video underclocked and marginally (+5%) overvolted

will re-set the cpu to stock and try another time

the game itself is pretty good (if you enjoy far cry)... the being sent back to start over repeatedly by crashes is frustrating

Weird that it'd crash out that badly. And the HD7000 series has been around over 3 years so it's not like it's having teething issues.

Actually, looking @ the AMD site they're calling it a Legacy device.

Maybe give the Crimson drivers the big miss and just go back to an older Catalyst package.

i moved to crimson because the catalyst drivers didn't work right... but maybe i will revisit them just to prove it to myself

thx for your counsel

try turning off soft shadows?

may not be relevant but it has helped the odd person with different hardware.

Have you checked whether you got a corrupt download from steam?

Right click the game in the library. Select properties. In the tab "Local Files" click "Verify integrity of game cache"

AD

The initial release of the crimson drivers were botched and the fan control wasn't working.

if your having problems with crimson drivers use ddu to remove any remaining files then go back to cat 15.7.1

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

sucks that your having problems but iv been playing farcry4 with my friend the last few days with a 290 and crimson no problems other than farcry4 botched network code making some units\vehicles invisible and others bug out on the road just standing there

so its not across all cards\systems but the new drivers haven proven to have there fair share of problems im just lucky i guess that the worst i have seen is some compass corruption if fallout4 which they apparently fixed for the 390 quicker than the 290...

Edited by Dasa

thanks for all the input folks - although i had already done all of the things suggested, as my google-fu is strong

eventually discovered that as the SPD ext for the two pairs of ram were not identical, it was unstable at xmp settings; once i dropped it back to 1333 from 1600 it has been (almost) without fault - the occasional hard reset that i suspect is still courtesy of the slight mismatch at lower speed, and will manually raise tras to 25 to meet the "worst" sticks'

379125d1451995360-bsod-other-crashes-try

otherwise it is now great 1920x1200 with all settings at very high - haven't measured frame rates, but no stutter that i notice (so numbers are rather irrelevant)

card maxes at 70c on auto fans - i didn't install the crimson equivalent of ccc, i just let it auto-configure, and it seems to be happpy

even better, i forgot to turn up the case fans last night when i was playing, and the cpu didn't go over 55c (megahalems cooler with a single 120mm fan, plus 120's front and back and a 140 top vent fan in an ancient but gorgeous lian li case)

so now all i get ti hear is the sweet sound of high-res carnage :D

thanks again team

sorry to ubisoft for ever doubting your programming .... ..... (although i have prior experience to make that an insincere statement) :P

edit : the ram was solid at 1600 for 8 cycles of memtest, but i noted that it failed test 6 first run with all 4 cores enabled

maybe a heads up for stress testing, that memtest doesn't automagically employ more than a single core to push the memory, and the fail with all 4 cores enabled was not at cpu overclock

Edited by scruffy1

Strange that your Memtest doesn't use all cores.

I've got a ~ 2007 Dell laptop with built in Ram tester that uses all cores. And my ~ 2009 Dell Xeon system has the same and will use 8 logical cores of my Xeon.

Good lesson in there though... running Ram over spec won't necessarily show failures until you really give it a stretch.

Good lesson in there though... running Ram over spec won't necessarily show failures until you really give it a stretch.

the machine would occasionally go a bit strange on initial boot, and spontaneously reboot

i was wondering as to psu issues, but it's a corsair hx650, although i note it is almost coming up for its sixth anniversary !! has a guarantee of 7 years and hasn't been pressed too harshly

memory fail on boot makes sense

thanks again for all the help, to everyone

The initial release of the crimson drivers were botched and the fan control wasn't working.

/Sigh. So that's what probably cooked my R9 270X then. Crimson drivers on Win10. /sigh

/Sigh. So that's what probably cooked my R9 270X then. Crimson drivers on Win10. /sigh

yep

the crimson "ccc" equivalent leaves the fan at 30% regardless of load, and you need to manually reset it to overclock every time you boot up (if you are gaming)

interestingly, if you don't install the control centre, the fans work fine with load - my 7950 doesn't exceed 70c when gaming, and the fan goes to 43% ...or 57% when i forgot to turn up the case fans 0_o

edit : checking the logs, it was 69c when the 57% fan was up, so it appears that the logic of the fan maintains temp max to < or = 70c

i'm happy to let it dynamically adjust speed (one less tweak to bother with), and gpu-z logs it in the background to assuage my paranoia

Edited by scruffy1

Just updated... only doing benchmarks but so far the fan control seems right.

Sure as shit though, I don't like the direction the control panel has gone. CCC was just about right a couple of years ago and the new direction sees the interface looking cheap and nasty and the number of things you have control over go down.

I also stupidly allowed their "Gaming evolved" app to install. Just what use that is, I guess I'll find out.

ed - well, Gaming Evolved aka "Raptr" is gone now... hopefully. Popups while browsing is one thiing but an application that just spams your desktop isn't welcome on my machine.

Edited by Rybags

I think the AMD catalyst drivers had a bad reputation hence the new crimson drivers. Apt name, the colour of AMD GPUs when the fans controls don't work!

yep, gaming evolved is crap

the uninstaller that comes with ccleaner gave it the flick first try, and on my reinstall i just ticked the very least i could accept to get the video drivers

not before it had pre-emptively downloaded everything "just because" though

my current joy is waiting forever for win7 to consider "updating" a clean install of win 7 on a "new" htpc build - hours and counting, even though the initial install and sp1 was pretty quick

it's rumoured redmond are doing their best to encourage taking up win10 (blech!) by making continuing win7 harder to do

bastards !

AMD have dropped driver support altogether for newer cards and 32-bit OSes, not even Win8 or 10 are catered for.

They just continue to do things to alienate people, and wonder why they're the underdog in all sectors of the market.

no serious modern gamer would be rocking a 32 bit system surely ?

and no serious nerd would have moved from win 7 unless pushed (which is what i think the "update reluctance" i am witnessing is really about)

i rather like windows 10

i look at them dropping support for 32bit as a good thing imo there shouldnt have been a 32bit version of win10

crimson is working well for me and i love the fps limiter its so much better than vsync

agreed that evolve\raptr is a heap of crap it never worked

32 bit support becomes sort of moot anyway.

When Windows 8 hit Beta, I decided to give it a burl on the old Athlon XP.

Mysterious BSODs a few minutes into each attempted install. Somewhat annoying that they didn't give you a proper error message, just a barely related error code that you decipher for yourself.

Turns out the SSE instruction requirements among probably a whole bunch of other things wasn't being met.

So essentially the 32 bit version becomes very much a niche product, probably only useful to original Core architecture and late Pentium 4 owners.

the crimson "ccc" equivalent leaves the fan at 30% regardless of load, and you need to manually reset it to overclock every time you boot up (if you are gaming)

No need to do that scruffy.

Open the Crimson CCC thing, go to gaming, click add and browse for the gaming executable. Once added click the game link then select the profile overdrive tab. Turn on fan speed control and set the fan speed to what you want.

Apply and close out of the software.

Now when you launch the game the fan speed should increase to what you set and when you finish gaming the fan speed will go back to auto.

IMO what ATI need to do is allow custom fan speed against GPU temp. EG you could set the fan speed to reach max at 70c or 60c or whatever.

Pretty much... it's a stupidly simple algorithm. Either use constantly variable PWM control based on a piss-easy formula where temperature has a direct relation to duty cycle.

or use the up/down stepped method where when temperature "zones" are crossed the fan speed will be selected according to a table entry. Have the zones for up/down skewed by 2-3 degrees so the fan isn't constantly going through a big speed step.

But as it is we have drivers, utilities and the like to choose from. It's like the manufacturers decide to just pass the buck and leave it up to the consumer to deduce that the default setup is crap and you have to go out and find a better solution.

Edited by Rybags

No need to do that scruffy.

Open the Crimson CCC thing, go to gaming, click add and browse for the gaming executable. Once added click the game link then select the profile overdrive tab. Turn on fan speed control and set the fan speed to what you want.

Apply and close out of the software.

Now when you launch the game the fan speed should increase to what you set and when you finish gaming the fan speed will go back to auto.

IMO what ATI need to do is allow custom fan speed against GPU temp. EG you could set the fan speed to reach max at 70c or 60c or whatever.

didn't work for me

so now i just leave it on auto until i get keen to start screwing it up again

as for win 10 - i believe it is a virus given the amount of times it attempts to take over my machine uninvited