RenascentMisanthropy

The story behind your Avatar?

Mine has had a few variations on the theme, since Atomic first kicked off 15 something years ago. But I've reverted back to my original.

The reason - it made me laugh. I had made a decision a long time ago that I am not going to take my online life that seriously. So something that was light hearted and stupid was all I needed.

I had taken 2 acid trips.

:)

You certainly know it when you see it/experience it.

Edited by Damo

Mine's the Tauren Chieftain 'Ressurect' ultimate from Warcraft3, a very big part of my life.

Then it was still relevant in DOTA, which is still all I play.

and now? Its just because its on the poster next to my PC (the avatar atomic logo poster) that it remains.

I chose it initially because it was both my favorite army to play, but also because I joined here shortly after I decided to stop pleasing people, and just be me. Lost a few 'friends' gained a lot more true ones. And just kinda started my life over.

Everywhere else its a grim reaper neko skeleton looking very confused.

Mine use to be Schultz and was for years. I miss that one. I am using this one because I use it with my ozbargin account thanks to Gravatar.

Don't have mine set at the moment. Normally it's a mandlebrot set.

I had a program called "Fractint" many MANY years ago. (Atomic V1 days). I generated the mandlebrot and used it as my avatar.

The end.

AD

I had a program called "Fractint" many MANY years ago. (Atomic V1 days). I generated the mandlebrot and used it as my avatar.

I REMEMBER FRACTINT!!

I also get unreasonably excited when I run into someone who remembers a piece of old software from waaaaay back :-)

• Like 1

I REMEMBER FRACTINT!!

I also get unreasonably excited when I run into someone who remembers a piece of old software from waaaaay back :-)

I played around with coding mandlebrot sets in high school, but was limited to 2/4/16 colour displays. Then at uni, around 1992, someone showed me fractint on a VGA 386 - was sooo cool.

• Like 1

I REMEMBER FRACTINT!!

I played around with coding mandlebrot sets in high school, but was limited to 2/4/16 colour displays. Then at uni, around 1992, someone showed me fractint on a VGA 386 - was sooo cool.

Had a mandelbrot program on my 16Mhz 286 WITH a co-processor. It was still slow LOL

I wouldn't have gotten that in a million years, all along I thought it was something off South Park.

You idiot LOL

I had to check what I was using, been that long. Pretty obvious tho. I like Green Lantern, was the first interesting super hero/sci fi as a kid. And my av usually changes depending on what i like at the time.

• Like 1

Good GOD! I thought you were dead to Atomic, Middy! Nice to see you back here again - however briefly.

• Like 3

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I loved the TV medical drama: House M.D. In my teens, I somewhat admired House's cynical and hilariously douche-like behaviour which is compensated by his genius intellect and passion to find the truth.

I was not a very happy person for a long time and found it comforting that a TV character of intricate levels of personality shared the same type of misery, passion for truth, loneliness and cynical wit about the world as I do. I therefore felt comforted and assured that I'm not that bad. It made me feel like I'm him and that's awesome! I thought he was so cool for being an asshole and being able to get away with it all the time and yet go through such deep pains and insecurities that everybody else can go through such as addiction and loneliness.

But that was the young, naive me trying to be romantic and living as an escapist. The 'now' me still reveres on the character of House and his self destructive behaviour and intellect because he taught me that life is about having good company. More so, the show has illustrated how trivial negative events in life are, no matter how big or small they are. They may not always go away and they may be powerfully damaging, but your life is still there on the door ready to be opened for the next day.

I also found the character of Dr Gregory House incredibly romantic as he can be an asshole and save lives yet go home, play sentimental piano with some whiskey and still get high whenever he wants.

There is just something incredibly contrasting between the freedom and crippledness found in the House persona and that I admire as a creative writer.

Hugh Laurie is also a top bloke. He's funny, loves the blues and is a great actor in his own right which I wish I can see more of on the big screen. He is also incredibly humble at interviews which I find rare to see nowadays in the celebrities we see.

Okay I'm done.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie
  • Like 2

/checks calendar to see that it really is not Dia de Muertos

Somehow, I missed seeing Tak's entry. Very stealthy, Tak!

And I've had some interaction with Mr Twinkie again already, so... /belated wave

• Like 1

I like tarts. This was probably the best lemon tart I made, visually at least. Wished I knew what I did so I could replicate it.