Sign in to follow this  
GTAV6

Do many of you use Bluetooth keyboards with PCs?

I bought a Logitech K810 recently and I'm pretty happy with it (apart from the lack of "End" & "Home" keys?), but the Bluetooth connection is a pain. It's always dropping (i.e., five or six times a week), and you either have to wait for a minute or two, or call up the Bluetooth services tab on the keyboard properties to force it to reconnect. Is there any practical way to find out if this is a Bluetooth, Logitech or Windows 7 issue?

It's a real pest when it drops on the down stroke of a keypress and you get rows and rows and rows of that particular letter marching across your screen until it finally reconnects and registers the key release...

I've got numerous wireless devices though not all in use at once and not all connected to one host.

BT can be susceptable from interference from WiFi and other wireless devices. I've found and I think it's common rule-of-thumb that in robustness terms WiFi on top then Bluetooth then general 2.4 GHz stuff.

Can you relocate the BT receiver at the computer end? And what type of power does the keyboard use - disposable battery, rechargable battery, integrated battery etc?

I posted elsewhere the woes I had with my Logitech mouse (wireless but unified Logitech receiver, not BT). Turns out these things are sensitive to what type of battery you use.

The Super Heavy Duty were utterly useless. Main symptom of problem is the scroll wheel stops or works intermittently. The fix is to use Alkaline batteries.

Sorry, I'm no use to you here, GTAV6. I do have a BT kb, but rarely use it - it gets used for Mum's tablet much more often, and that works flawlessly so far.

Only on my phone and that's to other phones, and rarely my netbook (don't use a BT mouse or KB)

BT is a phone battery killer!

Edited by Jeruselem

The BT receiver is plugged into the side of my monitor, roughly 400mm from the keyboard. It's a Targus Bluetooth 4.0 dual-mode micro USB adapter (the BT software also installed a bundle of nasty online gambling games that were a nightmare to remove! Colour me unimpressed...). My Wi-Fi router is about 1.5 meters away. Battery is a built-in Li-Polymer, recharged via micro USB. Intriguingly, Logitech claim you can get two hours per day worth of typing for a year on a single charge if you switch the back-lighting off!

The other thing that's a pain is that the BT doesn't function until Windows is up and running - if you need to use the keyboard for anything during POST, you have to dig out an old USB one first.

Can you try and setup a best-case scenario like put the receiver on a short extension cable and direct to a motherboard port?

Then have it somewhere near the keyboard, preferably away from sources of RF interference.

I don't think any BT devices work without the OS and driver active. The nature of the beast is that they're intended to be portable across hosts and you need the driver running so the pairing can take place.

not a keyboard but I use a bluetooth mouse. I am happy with it now. When I first started using the BT it used to drop off all the time then fail to resync....argh.I was always switching from BT mouse to wireless .....really really annoying. New BT drivers become available and once installed it has been smooth sailing every since.