Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Surface3 vs Laptop

When i look at laptops and tablets look for what it can do ,not for what it should be.

But this youtube really keeps pulling me back to this Tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6jmls2f9Po

Ok its cheap at $498 but add a SSD for $99 for 128gb or $198 for 256gb and mouse its great.

It has Intel HD and a IPS screen.

Getting a large laptop seems good but its looks are still far behind compared to this Tablet.

Btw this stupid MS 640xl will not display some webpages properly.

tried another browser Opera Mini and the same thing happens.

The CPU in that thing is pretty low-end. Actually all the Atom CPU SOCs are intended for low cost, low power situations.

For the most part OK for surfing the 'net but don't expect much at all from it for gaming purposes.

As a comparison, the graphical specifications seem fairly close to an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) CPU, same # of execution cores (12).

But, the difference in graphical base and burst clocks, only 200/600 MHz for the x5-z8500 vs 650/1300 for the i7-2620M. Throw in (probably) slower system Ram, less graphical cache/buffer at that end and it probably performs even lower than what you might expect.

The graphics performance on the mentioned i7 is nothing impressive, you'd probably manage to run an older game like Far Cry or Half Life 2 OK at medium settings 1024x768.

http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/

As for adding or changing drives on that machine, I think your options might be limited. Chances are it's locked up tight, built like a tablet. The firmware might even expect it to have a drive of certain size and type present.

Edited by Rybags

The CPU in that thing is pretty low-end. Actually all the Atom CPU SOCs are intended for low cost, low power situations.

For the most part OK for surfing the 'net but don't expect much at all from it for gaming purposes.

As a comparison, the graphical specifications seem fairly close to an i7-2620M (Sandy Bridge) CPU, same # of execution cores (12).

But, the difference in graphical base and burst clocks, only 200/600 MHz for the x5-z8500 vs 650/1300 for the i7-2620M. Throw in (probably) slower system Ram, less graphical cache/buffer at that end and it probably performs even lower than what you might expect.

The graphics performance on the mentioned i7 is nothing impressive, you'd probably manage to run an older game like Far Cry or Half Life 2 OK at medium settings 1024x768.

http://ark.intel.com/products/85474/

http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/

As for adding or changing drives on that machine, I think your options might be limited. Chances are it's locked up tight, built like a tablet. The firmware might even expect it to have a drive of certain size and type present.

It has 5 * Atom cpu's inside so i am guessing this is why its getting good reviews ,it also in the PCTA mag with high scores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJGw36U4N8U

Not really sure about anything being locked.

Here are some specs ;

https://www.asus.com/au/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100HA/specifications/

Edited by codecreeper

Erm... no way does it have multiple CPUs.

That particular CPU is quad Core - these days that's nothing special. In fact of the phones and tablets I have, 2 Android and 1 Windows tablet all quad core. 2 single core Android phones, 1 quad.

"Locked" ? I'm not referring to the thing being locked down, it's the nature of the tablet types that you have even less versatility for adding more Ram or HDD capacity than with standard netbooks or laptops.

• Like 1

You're hard pressed to find multi CPU systems these days, unless they are proper servers. Laptops and netbooks, not a chance given the form factor. Multi-core systems on the other hand are everywhere.

• Like 1

It's all well and nice with the SOC becoming predominant on these smaller systems, but the common thing with practically all is the graphics performance, or lack of.

Forget resolution capability, it means little. Though of course these days anything under 1080i on external output is somewhat povvo. 3D rendering though, lucky if it's on par with the $40 cheapie PC cards.

JB's have sold out of this 2 in 1 ,back to Laptop searches then.

So its either Lenovo ( chinese brand ) or Dell.

Or just go out and buy a Tablet , hmmm?

Can't backorder at jb?

Not Really they have taken the product off their lists.

Checking Asus in Aussie it seems they too are not getting anymore in ,the CHI model is worse than the TA model and only comes in White.

I think before you buy anything you should work out what you actually want/need.

It's sort of pointless hanging stuff off a device just to get it's specs up to the next step in capability, you lose the portability and it ends up costing nearly the same anyway.

There's distinct muddy grey lines between cheap tablet, serious tablet, hybrid tablet/netbook, netbook, laptop, high end laptop.

Don't go cheap netbook expecting that somehow you can beef it up a bit and have it running the latest 3D games.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

I think before you buy anything you should work out what you actually want/need.

It's sort of pointless hanging stuff off a device just to get it's specs up to the next step in capability, you lose the portability and it ends up costing nearly the same anyway.

There's distinct muddy grey lines between cheap tablet, serious tablet, hybrid tablet/netbook, netbook, laptop, high end laptop.

Don't go cheap netbook expecting that somehow you can beef it up a bit and have it running the latest 3D games.

Not really interested in Gaming ,just need it to keep a link open for emailing and reading news sites on the web.

When i move i may not have access to landline for a while ,so i need good wifi so use near libraries or even get Telstra prepaid dongle for wifi.

After i get a Landline i get back on broadband and i can order new desktop system. I was hoping my Smartphone could have done some things for me but MS IE browser and Opera will not load java or anything script based.

So maybe a Dell laptop could do but as you said is it worth spending nearly $1000 for a basic laptop or $1500 for a better. Maybe just just buy a $800 unit and buy a external SSD or some USB sticks for storage.

Dell seem to have some new models coming in they look but reviews so far on Dells say they are just average. Lenovo has good screen but poor ratings with poor graphics.

Seems like a price drop is coming for Surface4 ,if Surface3 is having price drops of $300.

Some new models in 2016 laptop range are coming into shops now ,noticing the new Intel HD 520 chipset. Suppose to be faster and less memory needed for processing.

Starting to look at models with i7-6200u ,8gb ddr3 ,and 1TB HDD as base now. Only $200 diff between i7 and i5 now.

There's a Pendo that's fairly cheap and not a whole lot worse than the other detachable types.

It's pointless differentiating among i3, i5, i7 lines on prefix alone. The boundaries are blurred especially with the mobile CPUs. You have to just look at them based on speed, # of cores, available cache, feature set, power (TDP).

Even then it's not easy, seems places like Tom's H'ware don't keep their benchmarks up to date and comprehensive as they used to.

• Like 1

There's a Pendo that's fairly cheap and not a whole lot worse than the other detachable types.

It's pointless differentiating among i3, i5, i7 lines on prefix alone. The boundaries are blurred especially with the mobile CPUs. You have to just look at them based on speed, # of cores, available cache, feature set, power (TDP).

Even then it's not easy, seems places like Tom's H'ware don't keep their benchmarks up to date and comprehensive as they used to.

Their is site like PCTA called Notebookcheckreviews it does the same type of benchmarks like CPU power ,GPU and HDD or SDD speeds. Plus the battery life of the Laptop.

The new 2016 models coming in now are not these sites yet ,so it looks like i will have to choose blindly.

The Chinese laptops seem to have the HDD built into the case making them more slimmer in style. So most probably other brands will probably follow the same style of design.

If you want a Lenovo, buy online and wait for a (decent) sale.

If you just want something to check email and read online and whatever, IDK why you're spending so much.

If you want a Lenovo, buy online and wait for a (decent) sale.

If you just want something to check email and read online and whatever, IDK why you're spending so much.

Trying to keep budget down to $1000 but i would go higher if its worth it.

For $500 you can get a netbook or a 2in1 but storage is very low. 2in1 could be useful for viewing pages and such and keyboard for typing letters ,but these 2in1's are very popular.

Was originally going to get a 2in1 with a external hdd or sdd ,but it seems that will cost about $700 so why not pay extra and get a full blown laptop with all the trimmings.

$500 is a lot to pay to check email and google and facespace. Pretty sure I paid under $200 for a 7" Android tablet that did all of that, back in '12.

If you can't decide what you want to use it for before you set a budget, you're always going to second guess if you should have spent more and gotten more features, or less because you won't use them.

• Like 1

So it back to a cheap 2in1 for under $500 ,but a tablet could be better as i will have to look for a internet connection or wifi. Where i can buy a data block for a tablet easier.

Maybe a cheap Apple Ipad could be more suited. But i hate Apples.

The new ipad 9.7?

Samsung look better and cheaper at the moment. Apple is locking out all old tablets from upgrades according a Tech Site in USA.

I think i am going to follow Nich's advice and keep on a low budget , get a 2in1 for under $500. Then buy some USB sticks for storage they pretty cheap.

Can use the other $500 on my Desktop when i move.

• Like 1

What is it you need storage for?

What is it you need a physical keyboard and mouse for?

I still think %500 is too much. That's enough to get you a Lenovo thinkpad E450 with an i5.

If you get a laptop, the screen doesn't need to be as good because the range of viewing is relatively restricted - hence most budget laptops don't have IPS screens.

• Like 1