Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Surface3 vs Laptop

What is it you need storage for?

What is it you need a physical keyboard and mouse for?

I still think %500 is too much. That's enough to get you a Lenovo thinkpad E450 with an i5.

If you get a laptop, the screen doesn't need to be as good because the range of viewing is relatively restricted - hence most budget laptops don't have IPS screens.

I need a keyboard and mouse for banking and such. Was looking at the ASUS Vivobook book range cheap and all specs look similar to the ASUS 100TA 2in1 ,as you mentioned the screen is reflective and could be a problem. IPS Screens seem expensive AS you mentioned what will i be using it for . Once i get my Desktop and move i probably not use the laptop or tablet again. With my MS Phone i should be ok.

So cheaper is better just have to learn with the consequences of backward technology. I use JB's for my shopping ,hate Hardly Normals.

I do most of my banking on my phone and previously on my tablet. No mouse, no physical keyboard, no problems.

It sounds like whatever you want to buy is to basically do what other people would on a phone or tablet: why do you needa bigger screen? Why can't you do what you need on your phone? If you can't, why not replace the phone?

Well if the MS phone had a descent browser and such then that would be fine. But with IE ,mini Opera and UC browser they all seem to block java applets needed for banking and web browsing. So it could be a MS thing to block these applets.

Not really sure what is going to happen when i move that is my main concern too and how long will i be without a stable net connection.

Replacing the phone with what ? It was phone that i needed for SMS for security purposes.

So i am back to Tablet or Laptop (small). Going into JB's later this week might look at Tablets and Laptops more.

I'm surprised your baking doesnt work on your phone.

My good mate has a Windows phone, and his is perfectly fine for commbank and Suncorp.

Wierd.

Surface PRO's are great, untill you realise that with the angle of the stand, and the softer keyboards, they're a nightmare on plane tray tables.

If I were in your shoes, and had no need for high intensity computing on the go (just videos, music, reading, websurfing and banking). I'd be finding the cheapest, most simple Android or Windows tablet and using it.

Android will show up a mouse pointer when you plug one in (or bluetooth one).

Failing that, a Lenovo Ideapad or a HP Stream laptop.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/lenovo/lenovo-ideapad-100s-11-6-laptop-white/856603/

They're below $300 so if something happend to them you'd be annoyed, but not heartbroken.

Also the stream gets like 9 hours battery, makes almost no heat, weighs almost nothing.....

why not?

If your phone can't do what you want - get one that can?

Like you said, you're not likely to use a tablet or laptop if you get a new desktop. But a phone is always useful as a phone and small tablet.

• Like 1

I'm surprised your baking doesnt work on your phone.

My good mate has a Windows phone, and his is perfectly fine for commbank and Suncorp.

Wierd.

That part is fine ,just need to give commbank my mobile number. The app installed fine.

Its the web browsing i need which MS phone is crap with using.

But getting a cheap laptop could work. Thanks.

Yeah get a STREAM then.

Read some reviews.

and keep in your mind what you'll ACTUALLY be using it for.

Youtube and music.

Office tasks.

Pictures

Internet.

Banking

Facebook

etc.

The performance is almost not even relevant (even though its pretty good) since it'll fly at all those tasks easily.

Its very easy to get hooked into reading reviews and noticing it does pooly in This game or that game, and 'Other Laptop' does GREAT, for only $80 more (or some such).

But why would you need it?

• Like 1

Went to my original thoughts on the Asus T100HA ,looked at one in Hardly Normals.

It was smooth in opening and closing stuff ,the mouse pad was very responsive and just perfect for my small fingers.

Its the old model which is the better one ,so it can be removed from Keyboard and turned into a tablet.

Might go back tomorrow and grab one. The HP Stream looked ok ,but it looked like a toy in the blue colour.

yep.

Its very toyish, and cheap, and light, and something you can carry and if it breaks, oh well.

Sometimes, for things like laptops, I like that in a device....

Christmas present for yourself M_S ,maybe ?

yep.

Its very toyish, and cheap, and light, and something you can carry and if it breaks, oh well.

Sometimes, for things like laptops, I like that in a device....

Christmas present for yourself M_S ,maybe ?

Nah I have an expensive laptop, and need an IPS screen thanks to my shitty eyes.

But I did come to terms with the fact that its going to get damaged, knocked about and in the end broken entirely.

It just hurts to know a $2k toy is going to eventually break rather than a $200 toy.

• Like 1

My phone has an IPS screen (more resolution than the netbook LOL) and the netbook screen is not, the netbook screen is definitely dull and lifeless compared to the phone.

Ok bought a Asus TA100HA ,looks nice.

Just need a email address and a Virus checker for Win10.

Hang on you bought something from Hardly Normal and it runs Windows 10 ???

Hang on you bought something from Hardly Normal and it runs Windows 10 ???

Yeah JB's had the new model which was awful ,White and it will not undock into a tablet. So Hardly Normals it is.

Need to charge it up first ,stupid thing comes with a flat battery. So it takes 8 hours to charge as it will not turn on.

Looks very nice and compact.

battery was flat ,took 1 hour to charge enough to boot. Very slow at charging worse than my phone.

Got it setup on my wifi and such now.

If it's been sitting around too long, the battery would slowly discharge itself and go flat.

nah its shipped with a flat battery as lithiums explode when charged ,so i guess they ship them with flat batteries for safety.

Even MS phone batteries are only half charged to stop them exploding.

Hmmm.

Ok got my MS Phone and TBook on the same email address for MS Win10 and sync'ing. Phone gets email but not TBook ,have get phone for emails.

Maybe i should a extra email address for TBook and just leave MS Phone email for sync'ing.

Anyone know of a email service i can use when i am mobile.

Tried to register my TBook with Asus is says i have already ,my MS phone email is already in their Database. Even the serial for device is already registered.

No idea how Asus got all this info so fast.

If it's been sitting around too long, the battery would slowly discharge itself and go flat.

Its a Lithium; that'd be a DAMN long time, since correct Lithium storage charge = 33.3%

Its a Lithium; that'd be a DAMN long time, since correct Lithium storage charge = 33.3%

True but all batteries have some leakage regardless of what type they are.