Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Surface3 vs Laptop

This has a fast charging system. You turn charger on ,then off and back on. It then activates the rapid charge in the Tbook.

Looking at laptop mouses today in DSE and Ebgames both wanted around $50 ,but DSE had the expensive ones too for $145.

Found out why i could not install a AV program ,Windows Defender blocks it.

Why does EDGE browser look unfinished ? Might chuck Firefox on it and noscript.

Some cheap mice don't work well with shiney surfaces.

Cheap ,but brand is Logitech so its good.

I've got one of those type of tables at work, shiney white surface.

Just use a pad...depends what surface your desk/whatever is

The only reason I ever plug a mouse into my laptop is for gaming. Then again, trackpoint > trackpad

The only reason I ever plug a mouse into my laptop is for gaming. Then again, trackpoint > trackpad

I was looking for sensitivity control for the touchpad but when Win10 upgraded it disappeared ,used to be on the lower left corner.

In Win10 the sensitivity control is hard to look for ,not in the mouse area.

Wow you do not realise how much comes through when Wifi is left on for this TBook. Checking the Wifi data usage in Win10 it says 1.3gb all i download was Firefox and a AV plus Thunderbird. So Windows updates must be why so much data downloaded.

Found out too if you download new version of Thunderbird you can also signup for a Free email Account.

You're probably catching up on the last few months of Windows updates, it will settle down after you got them.

• Like 1

I ended up settling on OE classic rather than Thunderbird.

A few random crashes didn't exactly impress me, plus I don't like the idea of applications that constantly want to update, especially email clients.

MS got Outlook Express right for the most part when they released it and had periodical patches and such, stuffed if I want my desktop environment to become the same annoying situation as Android with things constantly wanting updates (the situation with Flash being more than bad enough).

• Like 1

Wow you do not realise how much comes through when Wifi is left on for this TBook. Checking the Wifi data usage in Win10 it says 1.3gb all i download was Firefox and a AV plus Thunderbird. So Windows updates must be why so much data downloaded.

Found out too if you download new version of Thunderbird you can also signup for a Free email Account.

If it's over Wifi, there should be a checkbox\toggle that says 'This is a metered connection'.

This stops windows from updating its live news tiles and doing background things over that connection.

Keep in mind, you're then responsible for remembering its Microsoft Patch Wednesday and checking for updates.

• Like 2

If it's over Wifi, there should be a checkbox\toggle that says 'This is a metered connection'.

This stops windows from updating its live news tiles and doing background things over that connection.

Keep in mind, you're then responsible for remembering its Microsoft Patch Wednesday and checking for updates.

Not really going to use the Tbook much . But just read about the Anniversary Update coming ,looks like it might be huge.

I turn my wifi on when i wanna use it now and then turn wifi off in router ,so easy to do.

Are you paying for 5GB of quota from your ISP per month? Because otherwise FIIk why you care so much about a few GB of patches.

• Like 1

I concur.

Hell, I even have a public wifi for neighbors and local kids to use.

It just runs OpenDNS with the strictest possible DNS listing, and voila.

I live near a train station, and you can JUST recieve the signal.

I hope someone's appreciating the free wifi :)

• Like 1

Are you paying for 5GB of quota from your ISP per month? Because otherwise FIIk why you care so much about a few GB of patches.

I concur.

Hell, I even have a public wifi for neighbors and local kids to use.

It just runs OpenDNS with the strictest possible DNS listing, and voila.

I live near a train station, and you can JUST recieve the signal.

I hope someone's appreciating the free wifi :)

Not really worried . Just comparing it to my MS phone usage.

I get 60gb a month quota i rarely use 25g of it a month for gaming patch downloads and such.

Going to buy a external device tomorrow ,got one usb3 stick for recovery purposes. So deciding between a 128g Sony SSD or WD 1 TB usb3 external drive.

This TBook is really snappy its fast and responsive .

for backup?

The old style HDD.

They do things like show signs of failure, and can have data recovery performed.

Most SSD's just fall on their head without warning.

• Like 1

bought a MS mobile mouse ,heaps better now. Typing this message on my TBook now.

Just installed open office on it too seems to run fine.

Changed my mind on external drive bought some USB sticks , cheaper. Backups on USB stick is fast.

Now if i can only turn touchpad off while i am using mouse.

Now if i can only turn touchpad off while i am using mouse.

There are 4 possible options

1. look for a FN keyboard shortcut, that has a picture of a hand, and a ( \ ) through it. Thats the touchpad toggle.

2. Look deep in the mouse drivers menu, there is USUALLY a 'disable when mouse present' option

3. If there is a tiny light on your touchpad, tap it (or near it) it might toggle.

4. There should be an option to place the touchpad icon in the system tray. Then even without the above 3, you should eb able to right click it and 'disable touchpad'.

Failing all that,

http://www.howtogeek.com/223404/how-to-stop-accidental-trackpad-clicks-in-windows-10-and-other-mouse-enhancements/

Whack the typing delay to LONG, and it'll at least reduce the problems with it.

• Like 1

. look for a FN keyboard shortcut, that has a picture of a hand, and a ( \ ) through it. Thats the touchpad toggle.

this option i found. So easy to turn off and no touchpad mistakes from resting hand on touchpad.

now the battery drains fast lost 10% just doing nothing over 2 days.

So... it'll go completely flat if you do nothing with it for almost 3 weeks?

It shouldn't be moving when you're typing - the drivers should be locking it out, for exactly that reason. It's why I plug a mouse in for gaming - touchpad and trackpoint are horribly lagged after key pressing.

So... it'll go completely flat if you do nothing with it for almost 3 weeks?

Is that good or bad? I remember reading something on a site that some features can drain a battery very fast ,even when laptop is turned off.

Have you heard anything about this ?

a) Is it a laptop or a tablet?

b) it sounds fine to me, but more importantly, is it a problem for you? Are you going to ignore it for two weeks and then expect it to work with 100% battery as soon as you turn it on?

• Like 1