Sign in to follow this  
Xen

Wireless repeater

Does anyone know of a decent wireless repeater, there doesn't seem to be much in the market for them anymore.

I'm currently running a NP121 between the house and the shed but the bandwidth is not quite enough for 720p streaming.

I was going to run an ethernet cable to there but can't really be arsed digging the trench up again.

46050179_02.jpg

Was looking into similar myself. A succession of modem/router upgrades and it's like the antenna strength drops with each one.

One option is to run another modem or router in bridge mode. The problem though is that the standard for doing so seems to be a roll-your-own and as such you're best off using the same manufacturer's gear or even model.

Plan B, or in fact probably the better option is one of the ones that's just physically a wall-wart. Plug it into a strategically located AC outlet.

I haven't actually gone ahead with getting one, or in fact tested bridge mode with the spare gear I have (have a newish and older Netgear so they might play together).

Yeah i got a N300 when i upgraded the connection, trying to bridge that to the 7800N has been a pain in the ass.

Its a pitty there aren't an 802.11ac versions of the NP121 that i can find, I'm going to stick a laptop in the shed this afternoon and run a speed test and see if the high gain ant. makes much of a difference.

I though of EoP but not sure how it would really go with how the sheds wired.

try EoP it will either work or not.

i have been using EoP for over a year, even with our houses funny wiring it works well. modem/router>EoP>EoP>wifi router

getting 8mb/s+ across the network from any device with any connection, 1080p is hit and miss for streaming which iv put down to wifi interference or excessively large files.

try EoP it will either work or not.

i have been using EoP for over a year, even with our houses funny wiring it works well. modem/router>EoP>EoP>wifi router

getting 8mb/s+ across the network from any device with any connection, 1080p is hit and miss for streaming which iv put down to wifi interference or excessively large files.

Yeah for this it needs to be streaming or nothing, its connected to my CCTV system.

I've put high gain antennas on both of the units and I'm streaming 720p pretty well now, I just really want the extra distance though will be moving soon so the setup will likely change for then.

If the shed and the house are on the same metre box then EoP may work (depending on circuit breakers and wiring condition), but if the two buildings have separate electricity meters forget it.

Your first mistake is doing wireless repeating. This at least halves the available wireless bandwidth before any other factors come in to play.

What you need is a wireless bridge. With a wireless bridge the two end points only talk to each other via wireless and they feed back to routers etc via Ethernet.

Generally the best gear for this is generally the Ubiquiti stuff like their nanobridge, litebeam or airfibre products.

With this or similar gear you set op to of these devices outside pointing to each other and configure them to point to point wireless bridge mode.

At the house end you connect the Ubiquiti back to the main router via Ethernet or EoP.

At the shed end you connect a wireless AP or wireless router in AP/WAN bypass mode for local ethernet and wireless access.

In the past I have done similar with ordinary routers configured in point to point and point to multipoint mode (TP-Links are pretty good for this). However theses days the cost of even cheap routers and directional antennas is almost the same as "proper" units like the Ubiquiti stuff.

Having said that I currently run an Edimax EW-7303HPn V2 on my roof

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/au/home_access_points_n150_outdoor/ew-7303hpn_v2/

to provide the internet end of a link to my mothers house 100M away.

At mums end I have a TP-Link TL-WR743ND V2 in Bridge mode with an antenna lead and external directional antenna mounted on her gutter.

Seems to work well but I only did this because I already had the WR743ND and external directional antenna and I could get the Edimax at wholesale (plus I wanted to try one).

Ok so you have the Netcomm NP121. Is this the paired setup or do you just have one unit?

If you have the pair then connect the house one to the ADSL router via Ethernet or EoP. Do not use wireless for this bit. Try and get this NP121 in to a window facing the shed.

Set the house NP121 to AP router mode, Set it's LAN IP to within the range of your ADSL router IP range but prefferably outside it's DHCP range, Set the gateway IP to the ADSL routers IP and turn off the NP121's DHCP server.

Also set the wireless to a fixed channel. Never use auto channel for wireless bridges or repeaters it introduces more problems.

For the shed NP121 set it up in a window facing the house NP121 and set it to Client Bridge mode, do the site survey and connect it to the other NP121s wireless.

That should be all that's needed for Ethernet in the shed. If you want wireless in the shed too then you will need to buy another wireless AP to connect to the shed NP121, as setting the NP121 to AP repeater mode will kill your bandwidth.

I would just get a cheap TP-Link wireless N AP for this, eg one of these http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/list-12.html

• Like 1

At the moment all it is, is a Billion 7800N connected to one of the 121's with a 5db ant. on it as close as i can get it to the back of the house and the other 121 is in the shed with a 5db ant. which has been placed outside the shed using the magnetic base that then connect via Ethernet to the CCTV system.

Now that we've moving that is likely going to need to change in some way along with bandwidth issues are going to be more likely given ill be moving from a 4 channel cctv setup to an 8 channel.

So the DVR is now most likely going to have to live in the house somewhere and ill need to run the BNC cables in which case i can just hook it up with ethernet.