Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PointZeroOne

New PC build

So looking like I can actually get the funds together over the next couple of months to put together a new PC.

Sure I can look at the parts guide here and else where, but I like to pick parts and try and get best value.

So now I've been going, well do I get a cheaper MB? Do I go NVIDIA, do I go ATI?

Do I go for cheapest, but best for my dollar, do I save up a bit more, etc etc.

So here is what I'm currently looking at.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=B97CA72828D47CD8!6379&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AHMzzKm9lyaTvXo

All the prices are based off PC Case gear.

Some things are a nice to have, like an SSD, do I really need a power supply like what I've put in the build, or should I just get something cheaper, that isn't modular etc etc.

I've stuck with ATI for years because I had a bad run of NVIDIA (a very long time ago) and then switched to ATI and never had an issue.

I've picked the ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance Motherboard because it has USB C.

My current PC has lasted me around 7 years, with a GPU upgrade about halfway through that. It can run Rainbow Six Seige and the Division beta on lowest settings at a terrible non native res for my monitor.

My current monitor won't be getting upgrade so it'll still be 1080, I hope for this new PC to last me just as long.

I don't need top of the line graphics, but it needs to be no worse than a PS4 (my main goto for gaming)

I'd be throwing in a bit better CPU - the i5-6600 or 6500 shouldn't cost too much more and is somewhat faster.

Plenty will disagree but I'd go for a cheaper PSU, should be able to get a half decent 500W under $100.

SSD for sure. 120 Gig as a minimum.

Graphics card - maybe an AMD R9-380? That could come in under $300 freeing up cash to go elsewhere but I suspect it'd suffer compared to the GTX970. You'd probably get away with a 2 Gig version of either if you're not going to 4K video and/or multiple monitors for games.

I'd be throwing in a bit better CPU - the i5-6600 or 6500 shouldn't cost too much more and is somewhat faster.

Plenty will disagree but I'd go for a cheaper PSU, should be able to get a half decent 500W under $100.

SSD for sure. 120 Gig as a minimum.

Graphics card - maybe an AMD R9-380? That could come in under $300 freeing up cash to go elsewhere but I suspect it'd suffer compared to the GTX970. You'd probably get away with a 2 Gig version of either if you're not going to 4K video and/or multiple monitors for games.

Was wondering about getting a better cpu, as yeah the 6500 isn't that much more.

Yeah I'm tossing up between the R9-380 and the GTX970. I wasn't sure about 2Gb vs 4Gb as most places just go "duuuh go for the 4Gb it's better" but if the 2Gb version works fine for 1080 gaming then that'll totally save me money.

I used to run eyefinity, but I need 3 monitors of same resolution, which I don't have now.

ok tweaked the parts list and made a i5 6500 with an R9 380 2Gb and a cheaper PSU

It's at $1,170 instead of $1,276

I could drop the motherboard down to something cheaper to push the price down a bit more, but that'll restrict me adding extra ram in the future.

Not really a good idea to restrict future options just for the sake of saving 30 bucks (motherboard).

A few bucks might be saved going for a cheaper HDD... but I've had a 1 TB Green WD fail after just months in use so wouldn't touch that series with a barge pole any more, and the higher up WDs are more costly than the base Seagates.

Not really a good idea to restrict future options just for the sake of saving 30 bucks (motherboard).

A few bucks might be saved going for a cheaper HDD... but I've had a 1 TB Green WD fail after just months in use so wouldn't touch that series with a barge pole any more, and the higher up WDs are more costly than the base Seagates.

Yeah I don't really want to drop motherboard down, although the saving is $66.

I guess if I want just one PCIE 3.0 I could go the ASUS B150M-A Motherboard and save $40

As for harddrive, the drive will just hold my games. (current drive used is 1Tb and is full) I use onedrive and google drive for most other stuff these days. And my current PC has 4 1tb drives in it, so if I need more space I can pull a drive out of there. (Although these drives are as old or older than my current pc)

I'm fairly happy with the new price point, unless anyone else has other recommendations for tweaks.

Edited by PointZeroOne

i think a b150 mb is best suited to your build

the sfx psu is to small for the case

out of what pccg has this offers the fx 650 gold $119 is probably the best value option if you want it to be efficient and high quality with a 5y warranty

dont go below 240g for the ssd

new games are starting to need 16g ram and 4g vram without it you will need to start lowering texture detail or experience some stutters till you upgrade

you can save $20 by getting windows 8 then doing a free upgrade to win10

toshiba hdd are worth a look being the same price but having a longer warranty

i think a b150 mb is best suited to your build

the sfx psu is to small for the case

out of what pccg has this offers the fx 650 gold $119 is probably the best value option if you want it to be efficient and high quality with a 5y warranty

dont go below 240g for the ssd

new games are starting to need 16g ram and 4g vram without it you will need to start lowering texture detail or experience some stutters till you upgrade

you can save $20 by getting windows 8 then doing a free upgrade to win10

toshiba hdd are worth a look being the same price but having a longer warranty

thanks, was wondering about the ssd being too small at 120, also the "xf 650 gold" you mean xfx?

RAM is totally something I can add more of later.

I haven't got windows at all in this build as can install 10 without key and put up with the water mark until I have the $$ for a key or might be able to use my current PCs key

I've updated the "PCCG Radeon best option?" to include suggestions from here, it's put the price at $ 1,319.00 which I'll just have to take. It's feeling like a better build now.

Should I go the Samsung Evo 250g over the Sandisk Ultra II as it's a faster drive and 2 yrs more warranty?

why not sapphire 380?

its better than the 960 but a fair way behind the 970 at least in dx11 games it may catch up a bit in dx12 if this is anything to go by

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ashes_of_singularity_directx_12_benchmark_ii_review,6.html

extra warranty is nice as far as speed goes i have a sandisk ultra ii 1tb while my friend has a 500g evo and in coh2 i would load ~5s quicker simply due to overclocked ram @2133 we both have 3770k@4.2ghz

once he overclocked his ram to 1866 he caught up

so while the speed difference between the ssd is there its small in real world use and other things like cpu\ram speed may make a larger impact at least in some things

Edited by Dasa

Yep, the Samsung SSDs seem to get a few raves so go for that. Extra warrantee never a bad thing with those either.