mkarsikko

Tell me about your gaming!

So, newbie here, from the land of Angry Birds and late Nokia, currently doing Psychology Master’s Thesis on game playing preferences. Hah. I have an online survey which contains questions like why do you play, how much, what type of games e.g. It might seem a bit boring at first but you'll get the hang of it! It takes about 15 minutes.

Here's the link:
https://www.webropolsurveys.com/S/D5F22C5C1626F81D.par

(webropol is a commonly used survey site, google it!)

Edited by Chaos.Lady
Removed highlight because it was visually annoying

before i run right though it and find its not applicable to me at all since i left school year 8 due to bad health and have spent the last 20+ years to sick to have any kind of life outside of pc's does it have any allowances for that?

couldnt help but laugh at the first page of questions about about being able to cope with difficult situations when some days just feeding myself is more trouble than its worth

I can always manage to solve difficult problems if I try hard enough.

It is easy for me to stick to my aims and accomplish my goals.

I can usually handle whatever comes my way.

lol

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Thank you!!

Somehow can't quote you @dasa.

The survey is based on positive psychology: we believe games can be good for you. So it is also applicable to you, too.

Hey and to all of you who have already answered: could you please check if the link still guides you to a "submit"-page? I had a little bug there and had the "thank you"-page before submit, so it might have been confusing. If you click the link, it remembers your answers and guides you to the last page you've been to. So no need to do anything else but press submit. Thanks!!

Edited by mkarsikko

before i run right though it and find its not applicable to me at all since i left school year 8 due to bad health and have spent the last 20+ years to sick to have any kind of life outside of pc's does it have any allowances for that?

couldnt help but laugh at the first page of questions about about being able to cope with difficult situations when some days just feeding myself is more trouble than its worth

I can always manage to solve difficult problems if I try hard enough.

It is easy for me to stick to my aims and accomplish my goals.

I can usually handle whatever comes my way.

lol

Alright so now it qoutes. As said above, the survey is based on positive psychology. We believe on the positive affects gaming can have, and here we test it. So, I do believe you're also the right scope. Actually, anyone is who plays something :)

Sorry mkarsikko. I think what you are seeing is the ratio happening. You won't find many female gamers around the place - even here.

I'm not alone - absolutely not - however I can't think of any other female gamers that are particularly active here and there are certainly none on PCPP which is a boys club in a big way. Atomic is much less of a boys club, but it still is true to the real world traditional ratio of female nerds: male nerds and female gamers:male gamers.

The bottom line is - if you get any responses other than me I'll be fairly shocked. :P

The bottom line is - if you get any responses other than me I'll be fairly shocked. :P

I thought Elvenwhore was a gamer too. And Cat is still floating around the place occasionally, although sighting her is a bit like finding a diamond.

The whore is busy being mummy I think at the moment. And yeah, Cat's worth more than diamonds too. :)

• Like 1

I did it the other day ... took so long I forgot to say in here :P

@Chaos.Lady actually 30% of Aussie gamers are female! I've got about 20% of answers from females now, so the ratio isn't right yet. What I do believe is that female gamers are used to spam and are more suspicious than males.

And thank you all for answering!!

Edited by mkarsikko

Still, got to be a very dubious exercise to actually believe all the info gathered by the survey is real.

I mean, it's like any census taken. And as you say this is for a Psychology Master’s Thesis, then you have to really be

open to the fact you could well have collected a whole heap of codswallop designed to keep you forever befuddled :P

Still can't quote you eveln, have been trying for a while. Some bug here I'd say.

Well yes of course, any professional at least should know the problems with doing surveys on web. But, we also have amazing statistical analyzing techniques to help us notice spam. :)

Still can't quote you eveln, have been trying for a while. Some bug here I'd say.

Well yes of course, any professional at least should know the problems with doing surveys on web. But, we also have amazing statistical analyzing techniques to help us notice spam. :)

Don't you see a "quote" box on the lower right of the posts you look at ? That's very strange.

Spam, does that include real people who are responding with randomly chosen answers ?

Or answers that are what they want their selves to be rather than the 'reality' your questions were wanting ?

Don't you see a "quote" box on the lower right of the posts you look at ? That's very strange.

Spam, does that include real people who are responding with randomly chosen answers ?

Or answers that are what they want their selves to be rather than the 'reality' your questions were wanting ?

I do, but it doesn't always work. But this time does :)

Spam includes all. Also the construction of the questionnaire includes balancing questions that try to decrease the very usual effect that people usually answer what they should be, not what they are. This is common in all testing, not just in web. This is an old science, quite a lot has been thought through already :) And a major portion of psychology studies have to do with statistics.

Still looking after lady gamers!

Eve and Chaos are about it for the female portion of Atomic these days.

Alright, well at least I tried haha.

And to all who still want to answer (whatever gender :D), you have time till the end of this week!

Alright, well at least I tried haha.

And to all who still want to answer (whatever gender :D), you have time till the end of this week!

As someone that is studying psychology for honours and loves and believes video games can be something positive whether it can be therapeutic or an art form, I'll happily fill out your form!