Bludeus

ASUS GTX970 STRIX

Well I finally did it. Upgraded my Asus GTX680 OC Strix with an Asus GTX970 Strix. Was it worth it? Hell yes. Some of the newer titles I have been playing were starting to lag a little. Performance and frame rate drops were getting more and more frequent. The 970 has solved all that with solid 60+ f/s gamplay the new normal. Plus getting two free games with the purchase, namely Tom Clancy's - The Division and Farcry Primal I couldn't have picked a better time to buy. Next mission - 4K monitor.

Hi there, and welcome to Atomic (or are you a recycled regular?)

Been eyeing off one of those to replace my GTX570 but just waiting to see what happens with Pascal in a couple of months.

Hey. I have been a follower of Atomic for some time. Started reading the magazine about 12 ago and won a monthly case modding competition with them about 10 years ago. Haven't really been into the forum posting thing much. I am very happy with this card. Just need a 4k monitor to go with it.And maybe a new Mobo, CPU and RAM would be good too but will have to wait. The 970 has certainly given my machine a new lease on life.

What makes the "STRIX" model better than any other GTX970?

I have a STRIX GTX980 because it was on special at the time, are they factory OC'ed or something?

Factory OC'd.

I'm not sure they're really powerful enough to bother with one on a 4k screen, either.

I use the GTX980 on a 2K monitor (2560x1440), and I'm fairly sure that's about the sweet spot. Wouldn't want to go 4K without a 980Ti or higher.

• Like 1

i just "upgraded" to a gtx760 oc from gigabyte, and with my rig (2500k @ 4.2, 8gig ram, ssd + hdd), it is a happy choice to kick butt on 1920x1200

having spent several years in the interim with the red team, my return to nvidia has been great !

Just need a 4k monitor to go with it.And maybe a new Mobo, CPU and RAM would be good too but will have to wait. The 970 has certainly given my machine a new lease on life.

No point with 4k as a single 970 does not handle 4k well. You will need at least 970's in SLI or a 980Ti.

Single 970's are more a 1440P card and below.

Edited by mohawk

4K on that card migh not be a great idea. If you had the 980ti it's likely to be beneficial though

• Like 1

A 1440p monitor should do you fine for now.

Come a few more years when you upgrade again, 4k will probably be more of a standard and AMD/Nividia cards will be able to handle it with lower power and more performance.

God i can't wait for Zen, Pascal and Polaris.

Hopefully AMD survives. I really hated Nividia and their Gameworks.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

What is it you don't like about Gameworks? (I've never heard of it, reading up on it now, seems to be ok)

What is it you don't like about Gameworks? (I've never heard of it, reading up on it now, seems to be ok)

Edited by Mr.Twinkie
  • Like 2

[clip]

Ooo, nice. I mean, nVidia rigging benchmarks is hardly news, and nor is them fucking shit up for their competition, but that's the most comprehensively they've been exposed in quite a while.

[clip]

Ooo, nice. I mean, nVidia rigging benchmarks is hardly news, and nor is them fucking shit up for their competition, but that's the most comprehensively they've been exposed in quite a while.

Yeah the nice thing is over the last 6 months, this kinda stuff has finally been brought forward more vividly for the masses in simple to understand detail rather than a select enthusiast few. There's plenty more videos like the one i shared but the guy behind that particular video to which i have a fondness for is simple and effective in his communication. :)

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Meh, they're both guilty of manipulating benchmarks and locking in devs throughout history.

And can you blame them? The way nerdlords buy hardware these days is to consult magazine/review site benchmark graphs. Get to the top of that chart and you'll get buyers without question.

Computing is so cynical these days.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

It is sometimes just good business and money making has always given litttle for morality but AMD has always been more ethical, pro-consumer and pro-industry with their open source/open door policy on sharing their stuff but Nvidia just isn't and its starting to really damage the quality of games being released.

If Gameworks wasn't shown to be damaging to the developers and the consumers (who owns nividia cards as well), then i'd jsut simply write it off as Nvidia has big bucks and made an interesting business move. Instead, it really looks like they're just stamping out AMD to become a monopoly of computer graphics.

I don't want a monopoly, I want competition.

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

The only thing I can think of after watching that: Why don't AMD pull their finger out and fix tessellation!!

It's a part of D3D11, irrespective of what middleware (hairworks, tessfx, whatever) it's implemented through.

Edited by SquallStrife