SonOfNoddy

Human instinct?

:)

The Barrett is not really a self defense weapon, unless you are wanting to defend against incoming Cadillacs :)

Glock is just a brand SoN, anything from .22 up, but there is no such thing as a non-lethal gun, doesn't compute. :)

I guess Cybes and I fall into a somewhat unusual group of Australians, we know a lot about guns but understand why we have the rules that we have in Australia and are realistic that the gun-loving Americans will never give up their weapons - to use an awful metaphor all we can do is snipe at them about it :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I guess Cybes and I fall into a somewhat unusual group of Australians, we know a lot about guns but understand why we have the rules that we have in Australia and are realistic that the gun-loving Americans will never give up their weapons - to use an awful metaphor all we can do is snipe at them about it :)

Cheers

it is written in the American consititution that they are allowed to own firearms

that is all the argument they need

Babies and guns go hand in hand, why do you think so many toddlers are blowing away their parents in the USA?

Cheers

it is written in the American consititution that they are allowed to own firearms

Actually it wasn't originally, that's why it's called the 2nd amendment and many of the States already do not honour part of it by not allowing citizens to carry a firearm and others only allow so with a permit.

It's the quickest way to confuse an American, point out they could always amend the amendment ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

Babies and guns go hand in hand, why do you think so many toddlers are blowing away their parents in the USA?

... if only the USA parents had half sane siblings that would take in the orphan/s ...

Cheers

Actually it wasn't originally, that's why it's called the 2nd amendment and many of the States already do not honour part of it by not allowing citizens to carry a firearm and others only allow so with a permit.

It's the quickest way to confuse an American, point out they could always amend the amendment ;)

Cheers

I'll remeber that next time I get into a gun control arguement

thanks

I agree that the ergonomic design probably makes it very easy for kids and untrained individuals to use guns. However, as for pulling the trigger, I'd put that down to a curiosity thing (when I was a kid and I didn't know what a button did, it wasn't unheard of for me to press it to see what happens - I'd imagine that most kids are like this) or because they're imitating something they've seen, either through TV/other media or from their experience (e.g. if they live in a gun-nut household in the Deep South).

Very likely, but as I noted I'd bet that gun was worked so you had to do not much more than breathe on the trigger, gun nuts do that.

An out of the box handgun needs a few pounds of finger pressure that a kid of that age would quite possibly not be able to bring to bear especially if it was in first shot double action but gun nuts again don't like their guns to be difficult at all to fire.

Pragmatically I don't like the shift from double action to single that a 1911 has if you don't have a round in the chamber but I'd never have a primed gun around kids anyway, why on earth the gun wasn't in a gun glove bemuses me but she caught the consequences, could as easily have been the kid shooting himself.

Cheers

I guess Cybes and I fall into a somewhat unusual group of Australians, we know a lot about guns...

BTW: Not sure I'd classify myself as "knowing a lot about guns"... For certain I knew people who knew (haven't seen 'em in decades) a lot more than I did. But for sure I will admit to knowing more than the average Aussie, since I was both a sports shooter and interested in both ballistics (bullet behaviour in flight) and terminal ballistics (after it hits). No doubt a collector would have a better knowledge of who made what action and when.

I guess Cybes and I fall into a somewhat unusual group of Australians, we know a lot about guns...

BTW: Not sure I'd classify myself as "knowing a lot about guns"... For certain I knew people who knew (haven't seen 'em in decades) a lot more than I did. But for sure I will admit to knowing more than the average Aussie, since I was both a sports shooter and interested in both ballistics (bullet behaviour in flight) and terminal ballistics (after it hits). No doubt a collector would have a better knowledge of who made what action and when.

:) Was not going to mention but actually a Barrett has a 10 round clip... :)

Must be damned heavy :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82

Cheers

Cheers

I notice that is also a semi auto, which rather fucks what I said before. :p

It's also confusing: the target rifles (plural) I've seen were definitely bolt. O wonder whether they were custom jobs for competition and just chambered for the BMG round, or if Barrett themselves made a variant for civilian or Aus use?

• Like 1

Cheers

It's also confusing: the target rifles (plural) I've seen were definitely bolt. O wonder whether they were custom jobs for competition and just chambered for the BMG round, or if Barrett themselves made a variant for civilian or Aus use?

Short answer - dunno :)

Cheers

Cheers

It's the M95, I've seen one once in real life.

It's essentially the same as the Barret M82 but bolt action and generally a much shorter barrel.

I like guns in the fact they are interesting tools, I also like saws for the same reason.

A .50 cal though? I don't much see the point, sure you can do your long range shooting but you'll be shooting what? 1000 - 1200 yards at the most, just get .338 or .30-06 and you'll still be able to shoot out that far.

Unless you feel the need to be hunting helicopters I see no point.

Cheers

It's essentially the same as the Barret M82 but bolt action and generally a much shorter barrel.

I like guns in the fact they are interesting tools, I also like saws for the same reason.

A .50 cal though? I don't much see the point, sure you can do your long range shooting but you'll be shooting what? 1000 - 1200 yards at the most, just get .338 or .30-06 and you'll still be able to shoot out that far.

Unless you feel the need to be hunting helicopters I see no point.

I love how this chat is taking place while congress is being shot at over in DC and the gunman is still loose...

Ahh - thank you, Xen. Speaking about the extreme-range target rifles, though... If those are the short barrel, the normal one must be 8' long.