Why in Modern times do we still practise this draconian festival?

Ok its supposed to celebrate a symbol in religion faith but what about everyone else.

Myself no longer believes in any form of religion but regardless of whether we do or not it is forced up on us. Why must society lose 2 days in this weekend ,yes we do Good Friday and Easter Monday. That equates to $200 million lost in production in every state generated for society. Most people think its a holiday but will not accept its values.

In a multi cultural society why is this being forced on those who do not practice that religion or faith. Secondly we acknowledge a religion that is full of paedophiles that no longer respect us.

Then we have the unions its a holiday and we deserve it ,bottom line no discussion.

So that means everyone does nothing for 4 days while everyone else holidays ,or prays. What a waste of all that production.

To me its the most boring time of the year ,nothing open so shopping is canned. Easter Saturday is just as bad but some shops open for minor things. Sunday and Monday is like someone died everyone just walks around bored out of their minds.

Why in Modern times do we still practise this draconian festival?

Ok its supposed to celebrate a symbol in religion faith but what about everyone else.

Myself no longer believes in any form of religion but regardless of whether we do or not it is forced up on us. Why must society lose 2 days in this weekend ,yes we do Good Friday and Easter Monday. That equates to $200 million lost in production in every state generated for society. Most people think its a holiday but will not accept its values.

In a multi cultural society why is this being forced on those who do not practice that religion or faith. Secondly we acknowledge a religion that is full of paedophiles that no longer respect us.

Then we have the unions its a holiday and we deserve it ,bottom line no discussion.

So that means everyone does nothing for 4 days while everyone else holidays ,or prays. What a waste of all that production.

To me its the most boring time of the year ,nothing open so shopping is canned. Easter Saturday is just as bad but some shops open for minor things. Sunday and Monday is like someone died everyone just walks around bored out of their minds.

Feel free to go to work on those days if you like, nobody will stop you. Plenty of non-religious holidays you can celebrate instead, though even those wont alleviate your anxiety over all of the 'lost production'. :)

Yep ^^ Ditto Jeruselem's comment.

"Why must society lose 2 days in this weekend ,yes we do Good Friday and Easter Monday.

That equates to $200 million lost in production in every state generated for society"

Why do you care codecreeper. Most days are "days off" for you yes ? Surely you have the time to pay your bills and get

your needs sorted around it .

"To me its the most boring time of the year ,nothing open so shopping is canned. Easter Saturday is just as bad but some shops open for minor things. Sunday and Monday is like someone died everyone just walks around bored out of their minds."

That's a tad selfish. No not everyone is bored out of their mind. Some people get to sleep; to catch up on

their household chores; to spend time; with their kids etc.

Edited by eveln

Calculations of the cost of lost production are pretty much crap anyway, it's like saying shops will sell more if they are open longer, no they won't the spending will just be spread out.

Holidays are essential in a working society to give the workers something to look forward to, if you think we have a lot of them check out Malaysia :)

Cheers

Three replies and all have sat on the public holiday reason ,but not its sole intention.

So why should it be classified as a religious long weekend then?

regardless of my status ,its was meant in general. Even for me its the most boring time of the year.

Ardent church-goers aside it hasn't really been a religious thing in most Western countries for a long time.

In the end it's about chocolate and kids and consumerism :)

Cheers

"Even for me its the most boring time of the year."

The above comment does not compute for me. Plenty of times I read you say you spend your life in your room.

With your games and on the net etc. You don't go out except to get your necessities.

So I don't see how this holiday is any different to say Aussie Day for instance. Most business are only strictly

closed for the Friday anyway. Some will trade if they want on the other days.

• Like 2

:)

I thought W.A. was bad but a host of shops will be open every day bar Friday, even then delis etc are open, is S.A. really that backward ?

Cheers

Don't listen to those stupid numbers about "lost productivity".

More like a way for bosses to whip a frenzy about slacking workers.

• Like 2

I thought W.A. was bad but a host of shops will be open every day bar Friday, even then delis etc are open, is S.A. really that backward ?

Cheers

"City of Churches", remember? If there's anything wowsers or religitards can get off on, they'll be doing it in Adelaide.

Hmm... I wonder if that's at all connected to SA punching above it's weight in the serial murder stakes? ;p

• Like 2

So I don't see how this holiday is any different to say Aussie Day for instance. Most business are only strictly

I know in SA ,ALL shops are shut on Friday ,recently the unions allowed some minor saturday trading ,but ALL shops are shut again on Sunday and Monday.

You don't go out except to get your necessities.

exactly ,shops are shut on Friday ,Saturday some things available ,Sunday i never go out . But Mondays i sometimes like to go out ,breaks the boredom.

Why have you turned this thread on me ,evelyn? As always it was about a whole situation ,not me

At least it is a better reason than to close for a horse race

Most Australians would still identify themselves as Christian, even if they no longer attend church

• Like 1

In QLD, things like RSL's, Pubs, Cinemas, Shooting Ranges, Servo's are all open on Good Friday, at least in the evening.

I for one go and drive my car on the mountains, in a safe and controlled environment....... <.< ^.^

I know in SA ,ALL shops are shut on Friday ,recently the unions allowed some minor saturday trading ,but ALL shops are shut again on Sunday and Monday.

You don't go out except to get your necessities.

exactly ,shops are shut on Friday ,Saturday some things available ,Sunday i never go out . But Mondays i sometimes like to go out ,breaks the boredom.

Why have you turned this thread on me ,evelyn? As always it was about a whole situation ,not me

It's just questioning your reasoning .

No one is stopping you from going out on any day you choose to go out.

What's wrong with going out for the sake of the fresh air ?

I thought codecreeper didn't even work. Nice that you can be in a situation of constant "public holidays" yet criticise everyone else who's lucky to get the dozen or so we're allocated each year.

I thought codecreeper didn't even work. Nice that you can be in a situation of constant "public holidays" yet criticise everyone else who's lucky to get the dozen or so we're allocated each year.

Was going to bring this up, thought it would be a bit harsh. But you're right.

Was going to bring this up, thought it would be a bit harsh. But you're right.

" Why is it a bit harsh ?" ... asks she who already brought it up.

People everywhere live according to their abilities and needs. Some people work from home all the time. It's just a fact, is all.

I don't get why business' being closed a few days is such an issue. There is life outside of doing business too ;)

Edited by eveln

If anything we should be enforcing p/hols more strictly by forcing certain businesses to be closed on the day.

It's already done for part of Anzac Day out of respect, no reason not to expand it.

As it is we have this bullshit 24 hour society thing going on, yet people still find reason to whinge that they can't do certain things.

Utter bullshit. I can pay practically any bill online, for the times I CBF'd most can be done @ the post office.

Supermarkets are available from ~ 7am till 11pm, department stores have at least a couple of late nights a week, KMart is probably still open 24 hours for whatever reason.

Cheers

"City of Churches", remember? If there's anything wowsers or religitards can get off on, they'll be doing it in Adelaide.

Hmm... I wonder if that's at all connected to SA punching above it's weight in the serial murder stakes? ;p

Or the gay stakes?

http://www.travelgayasia.com/destination/gay-australia/gay-adelaide/

hmmm, you might be onto something.....

ok who goes to church? and celebrates this Easter as it should be?

Catholics mostly, everyone else incorporates it into their regular Sunday service.

• Like 1

Well,

My mother for one, she's Anglican and will be in Church on the Friday and most definitely the Sunday.

In a group such as Atomic you probably won't find a larger number of church-goers but across society as a whole I think you'll be surprised, I know last year the church near us was standing room only on the Friday.

Cheers