SonOfNoddy

EMACS and VIM

Ok so...this has been a matter of debate for years now (the Text Editor Wars), and I didn't know where to put this...so I put it here, anyways...my friend got VIM to work in EMACS...so is everybody happy? Can we end this mindless shenanigans?

That means Emacs wins! We did it!

It's not so much as a victory, more of an alliance...but yeah, who gives a shit, we win!

You need to get out more.

^

My first 10 years around *nix, I used emacs 99% and avoided using vi whenever I could - started in text mode emacs, then later using x-emacs

My development then switched to IDEs and my text file editing needs became more simplistic usually around scripting and config file editing. Combine that with almost every system I have used running minimal packages It's hardly the systems from uni or a development environment with everything including a kitchen.sink package installed. I rarely use a graphical HMI.

It's now been 15 years since I have used emacs - I use vi exclusively for my *nix text file editing - and only use the basic commands (I don't have access to vim either).

People sometimes lament not having more than vi on the system, but I find once you have had to go through the process of developing Intellectual Property records that document every software licence and the right to use/modify that's passed on to the customer, then performed patching overhead analysis and security updates for every installed package... you start not putting a bunch of 3rd party packages on a system because one day they might be handy.

(and if you think it's tough to not have vim or emacs, consider the pain of not having bash :( so I always write scripts for /bin/sh - although I care about bash more because I like tab completion and history in an interactive shell)

Emacs is one of the best *nix distros around, all it lacks is a good text editor.

But that's the thing, my friend gave it a good text editor!

vi was pain due it's two operating modes.

I had to edit a particular text file for email aliases, using vi. Had to be real careful

I had to edit a particular text file for email aliases, using vi. Had to be real careful

New photo? looks good!

New photo? looks good!

Yup, movie props from an old movie

I had to use VIM at uni, but it didn't take me long to realise gvim was much much nicer to use, either on *NIX or WIN*.