Sign in to follow this  
kikz

New sim rig pc build check

I'm building a new pc to power my sim rig (while my old simrig - 2600K, 2xR9 280X - will become my coding and FPS single monitor gaming machine))

My sim rig has triple 27's @ 5760x1080, so the PC has to be able to run at that res, and run fast. My current machine does it at about 60-100 FPS with details about low-medium, on most games, but 20 FPS on my truck sims (ETS2 and ATS).

This is what I've selected and it'd be great if someone can cast their eye and check all the parts make sense together. I'd like to spend $3,000 and get the best value for money.

I know there is the GTX 1080 coming soon but I really need a second machine this week, as coding on my sim rig (it's a full rig, with a racing chair) is distractingly uncomfortable.

- Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core LGA 1151

- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 z170 DDR4 motherboard

- Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black

- Samsung 950 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Corsair Graphite 230T Case with Window Rebel Orange

- Corsair Hydro Series H75 CPU Cooler

- Microsoft Windows 10 home 32bit/64bit USB Flash Drive

- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB Video Card

- Corsair TX-750 V2 750W ATX Power

$2,983 from umart.

cheers

Edited by kikz

Only you'll know where your bottlenecks are for a system that specific.....

Just a few thoughts that fly through my head though.

From a 'gaming standpoint' it looks fine, but that many monitors at that resolution.... Are you VSYNCing at 120hz?

If so, might want to consider an SLI of the same card.

Do you need a K edition chip? Does it need to be overclocked?

When I build a dedicated rig (usually cabinets, but still) I always UNDERclock them a little bit to ensure less heat and maximum stability. (usually just 2~3 multiplier down, and it can allow as much a 0.5v undervolt)

I'd save money on the motherboard (I hate gigabyte anyway, I'd go an Asrock).

And if its a dedicated Sim machine, does it need 512GB of storage? You'd have 10 full sims at 50GB each (depending on realism)..... Thats a lot of 'gaming' for a dedicated rig.

Just some stuff to think about.

I agree with the build overall, but I'd probably spread the funds a little differently.

When I build a dedicated rig (usually cabinets, but still) I always UNDERclock them a little bit to ensure less heat and maximum stability.

Sorry, but this is stupid. Chips are made to run at their datasheet clock speeds and voltages.

• Like 1

Thanks MS. Some answers,

- I generally don't vsync. monitor only supports 60hz anyway. I also don't experience tearing, so don't bother with vsync.

- I may not need a K edition. Just thought I would cause I'm watercooling and O/Cing my current 2600K and it'll be a while before I get a new CPU (obviously, by looking at my current :)) so I'll get something I can OC later to get more performance.

- The PC itself is well ventilated, not in cabinets - the rig is aluminium frame.

- Logic behind this mobo is for the 2 x M.2. I was going to get a Gigabyte Z170 D3H for $215 (some $120 less) until this morning then read some performance reports which show the G7 30% faster (not overall performance of course, just mobo).

- You bet it needs 512 GB! Some of the sim games I play: iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Stock Car Extreme, Automobilista, Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, Project Cars, Codies Dirt (and sometimes the F1 201x games - of which there are 4). Most the actual decent sims all have addons and mods and custom paints. My custom paint folder for iRacing alone is 12GB (it downloads the paints of the people in the particular race - I could clean out the ones I don't use often and redownload at the time tho). I'll also do my video editing on this machine. This includes using FRAPS to record races, as well as GoPro recorded data. Though the raw files don't usually stay around after upload to youtube - or I could copy to one of the NAS drives....

- I'll have to look at ASRock mobo's - I've used Gigabyte for years and years and never had a problem.

I'm really keen to ensure I have decent frames and lots of pretties at the same time. The M.2 drive is important because the faster I can load a race, the faster I can get practicing and qualifying (talking iRacing here), which may mean an extra lap in a session of only a few laps of qualifying. IMPORTANT :)

When I build a dedicated rig (usually cabinets, but still) I always UNDERclock them a little bit to ensure less heat and maximum stability.

Sorry, but this is stupid. Chips are made to run at their datasheet clock speeds and voltages.

Trust me;

When you visit a cabinet in the wild 10 years later, and the fan is siezed from dust and Airflow is 0 because the filters were never changed.

Plus the owner has added some pirated 'high end' Roms (working the onboard GPU\CPU to its max) it helps. A lot.

It's stupid if you can assure that the device is going to be cared for, but an arcade\dedicab is usually a utility like a toaster or a vacuum to the business.

I'd love to see a non-undervolted i3 survive when the fan seizes and its pushed hard. They throttle like no tomorrow.....

(my pride and joy is an 8mhz overclock on an old E1400, down to 0.87v... at 100% cpu stress testing, it reached 7*C above ambient, and thats it. I removed the fan, and only reached 12*C above ambient.)

Ive actually started using a crossflow design with a 160mm case fan on either side, and no fan on the CPU at all, just the biggest generic heatsink I can find.

Even on a 40*C day, I'm never breaching 90*C (with throttlestop running).

My use is very different to Kikz, but just explaining why its not such a stupid idea when actually put into practice.....

Chips are only made to run at their datasheet clock speeds and voltages when you meet their running conditions.......

Thanks MS. Some answers,

- I generally don't vsync. monitor only supports 60hz anyway. I also don't experience tearing, so don't bother with vsync.

- I may not need a K edition. Just thought I would cause I'm watercooling and O/Cing my current 2600K and it'll be a while before I get a new CPU (obviously, by looking at my current :)) so I'll get something I can OC later to get more performance.

- The PC itself is well ventilated, not in cabinets - the rig is aluminium frame.

- Logic behind this mobo is for the 2 x M.2. I was going to get a Gigabyte Z170 D3H for $215 (some $120 less) until this morning then read some performance reports which show the G7 30% faster (not overall performance of course, just mobo).

- You bet it needs 512 GB! Some of the sim games I play: iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Stock Car Extreme, Automobilista, Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, Project Cars, Codies Dirt (and sometimes the F1 201x games - of which there are 4). Most the actual decent sims all have addons and mods and custom paints. My custom paint folder for iRacing alone is 12GB (it downloads the paints of the people in the particular race - I could clean out the ones I don't use often and redownload at the time tho). I'll also do my video editing on this machine. This includes using FRAPS to record races, as well as GoPro recorded data. Though the raw files don't usually stay around after upload to youtube - or I could copy to one of the NAS drives....

- I'll have to look at ASRock mobo's - I've used Gigabyte for years and years and never had a problem.

I'm really keen to ensure I have decent frames and lots of pretties at the same time. The M.2 drive is important because the faster I can load a race, the faster I can get practicing and qualifying (talking iRacing here), which may mean an extra lap in a session of only a few laps of qualifying. IMPORTANT :)

-Without VSYNC you will probably get away with the 980 fine. Always easy to add another if you need it.

-K series Makes sense then; as above, my experience is with building dedicabs, so things like overclocks cant be risked when they go to the wild.

-M.2 sounds good, but is storage really your bottleneck? I'd almost put money down that its not. For me thats not a good reason to spend so much on a motherboard when there are very cheap alternatives out there. I understand the loading times thing, but $330? You'd be better off Raid0-ing a couple of 240GB SSD's I'd imagine.

- I thought the sims might take up the 512, I didnt know there were so many though. I expected, say, 6.... meaning 35GB each in a 256GB ssd. I was clearly mistaken. Carry on :)

-Asrock Mobo's are genuinely amazing. I've had so many DOA boards from Gigabyte I avoid them now. But been using asrock for customers, and myself for 10+ years and never a single fault. And usually half the price.

Makes sense overall though :)

Honestly? Run some system monitors, load some games, and see where your CURRENT bottlenecks are, then max those bastard areas out!

Edited by Master_Scythe

Most my bottleneck is the whimpy ass GPU :) I'd drop 2 GTX 980 ti's but TBH shelling out for the extra R9 280X at the end of 2014 was a complete waste of money so not really feeling the love from multiple cars right now. As they say, better off just getting the biggest baddest single card you can afford and run with that. The main problem being support. None of the games I play regularly, well, the ones that machine is truly being build for (iRacing, ETS2/ATS, and Assetto Corsa) support Crossfire. So I pretty much fucked up there :) I think they support nVidia surround tho. -- either way I think if I spend 4K on this build I'd have no balls left to take those sim corners fast :p

Eradicator did a pretty extensive comparison using Assetto Corsa a while back, I might have to revisit that :)

Though thats the difference with SLI vs Crossfire.

in my experience, SLI is much, much, more successful in terms of 'support' (or, more that the game doesn't NEED to support it, the drivers are just.... better)

I still think the m.2 card will be slower than a Raid0 2x 240Gb SSD's.

I cant find a direct comparison, but Its a gut feeling.

Though you want LOAD times, not write times.

Raid1 SSD's ftw (if you're not maxing out the bus)

RAID gives me the creeps. But this PC is different than all the others I've built, in that there will be no data that needs saving on it and a crash of drives just mean a rebuild, and there won't be heaps of little dev tools to install

BUT component failure will mean missed track time and that will impact competitiveness and that's bad.

I treat my sim racing less like gaming and more like competitive sport (if you know anything above iRacing and racing leagues in general, it's all PvP).

ATM I've removed the more expensive Gaming 7 board for a cheaper board with only 1 M.2 slot and saved myself $120

Edited by kikz

thanks all.

yeah pigs can fly. I did that too :) the dedicated sim stuff is easy. Need video ram for high resolution - faster is always better regardless the game - then it's a matter of which is better nVidia Surround or Crossfire but I'm not doing that this time and the 980 ti is a favourite of sim racers :). Being a triple screen sim racer for many years, it's all stuff I know. My question is more is the combination of components sensible (compatiable) - e.g. I haven't picked an physically incorrect mobo for the cpu. and have people experienced any problems with a similar config.

yeah for sure MS. my only active experience with RAID 1 is poor performance as the drive rebuilds. Can't say I've ever had a physical hard drive failure while running RAID 1 and just gone and bought a replacement drive matching the failed one and just plugged it in and it's all good. 550Mbps * 2 still < 2200Mbps from M.2 :) . Thanks for your input that. Definitely a good point.

I've just pressed click on the purchase button, so more FPS and pretties shall be mine by weeks end :)

I'm building a new pc to power my sim rig (while my old simrig - 2600K, 2xR9 280X - will become my coding and FPS single monitor gaming machine))
My sim rig has triple 27's @ 5760x1080, so the PC has to be able to run at that res, and run fast. My current machine does it at about 60-100 FPS with details about low-medium, on most games, but 20 FPS on my truck sims (ETS2 and ATS).
This is what I've selected and it'd be great if someone can cast their eye and check all the parts make sense together. I'd like to spend $3,000 and get the best value for money.
I know there is the GTX 1080 coming soon but I really need a second machine this week, as coding on my sim rig (it's a full rig, with a racing chair) is distractingly uncomfortable.
$2,983 from umart.
cheers

I see a very big problem there...

Windows 10 is included in that list :P

• Like 1

win10

Jokes aside, it's rock steady, and faster than Win8.

• Like 1

win10

But not as good as 7

trollolololol. not sure how windows 7 is better than windows 10. Particularly in the context of brand new and top end hardware.

win10

But not as good as 7

trollolololol. not sure how windows 7 is better than windows 10. Particularly in the context of brand new and top end hardware.

it's better because I use it! your argument is now invalid

win10

But not as good as 7

Windows 10 I think is still in the 'free upgrade' path; you have no excuse to be with such a slow operating system.

• Like 1

win10

But not as good as 7

Windows 10 I think is still in the 'free upgrade' path; you have no excuse to be with such a slow operating system.

But I like windows 7! 10 is crap imo, so new, so fancy, so... "different" *shudders at the word*

• Like 1

New and different and fancy... are we discussing Win10 vs Win7, or SoN vs Noddy?

Since kikz is gonna use the GTX980 Ti, it's a DX12 card. Windows 10 supports DX12 (officially).

Since kikz is gonna use the GTX980 Ti, it's a DX12 card. Windows 10 supports DX12 (officially).

Which, unlike SoN's personal tastes, is very relevant!!!!

:P

$2,983 from umart.
cheers

since your looking to oc the cpu down the line and you have a suitable mb get appropriate ram 3000 15-15-15 16g $149 it will improve cpu performance in games by ~10%

the h75 is loud and performs worse than a big hsf like nh-d15 which is very quiet

if you only want a single gpu maybe look at a higher quality 550w psu like seasonic g or xfx gold

maybe save some cash get a secondhand 290\390 oc it and then upgrade when new cards come out

Thanks Dasa. Is that approximate boost before the OC or just the difference beteween 2133 and 3000?

Yeah, I considered breaking up the crossfired 280x's I have and putting one in the new rig until the 1080 comes out. Probably not a bad idea...

Thanks for the tip on the cooler. I have a H60 which is fine, so assumed the H75 would be ok too.

cheers again.

Edited by kikz

just the difference between 2133 and 3000 http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37837493&postcount=14

its probably not much different to the h60 but a big hsf will always have much better performance per db vs a small aio its a simple matter of surface area and airflow restriction provided poor case airflow doesnt throw a spanner in the works

Edited by Dasa

Before I got to the bottom of your list I thought "Wonder which GPU he will run in SLI/XFire". Turns out your not going to run dual cards :).

I don't SLI or XFire myself as I have never really had a need for it, but maybe in this case dual 980s might be a good idea? Not sure how well the simulators are designed for multiple GPUs though.

Edited by smakme7757