kikz

Bash coming to Windows 10

Announced yesterday at Build2016, Bash and the Linux CLI is coming to Windows 10. Yes THAT bash.

The new functionality will be enabled as part of this summer's Anniversary Update to Windows 10.
"This is brilliant for developers that use a diverse set of tools like me," he said. "This is a genuine Ubuntu image on top of Windows with all the Linux tools I use."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331014/microsoft-windows-linux-ubuntu-bash

Edited by kikz
  • Like 3

It's not just bash, like running cygwin. It's a full Linux layer, it can run ELF executables compiled against the Linux ABI. Almost natively (It uses kernel drivers to translate Linux syscalls into Win32 messages).

Edit: Clicky! http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-not-linux-on-windows-how-it-works/

Ededit: Google "Windows Subsystem for Linux" and look at all the lol-worthy mis-interpretations of what's actually going on here.

So much of the supposed tech-savvy nerd-o-sphere really has no idea how computers work, but go ahead and fill the gaps in their knowledge with bullshit.

Edited by SquallStrife

So this is like the windows on Windows (WOW) for older windows 32-bit apps on 64-bit systems?

So this is like the windows on Windows (WOW) for older windows 32-bit apps on 64-bit systems?

A bit like that, except there is no thunking of API calls from the Linux space to the Win32 space.

E.g. You can't start Notepad from the bash prompt. You can't link Direct3D into your Linux app.

Edited by SquallStrife

A bit like that, except there is no thunking of API calls from the Linux space to the Win32 space.

E.g. You can't start Notepad from the bash prompt. You can't link Direct3D into your Linux app.

I wouldn't expect Linux API calls to map to Win32.

Wine does the reverse, so they possibly could have gone down that road.

Wine does the reverse, so they possibly could have gone down that road.

I'm aware of WINE on Linux but WINE was like Windows XP era wasn't it.

Announced yesterday at Build2016, Bash and the Linux CLI is coming to Windows 10. Yes THAT bash.

The new functionality will be enabled as part of this summer's Anniversary Update to Windows 10.
"This is brilliant for developers that use a diverse set of tools like me," he said. "This is a genuine Ubuntu image on top of Windows with all the Linux tools I use."

Question: why not use an arch-linux image?

Ubuntu is the most windows like of all the linux distros, well the most common of them

I'm aware of WINE on Linux but WINE was like Windows XP era wasn't it.

It's maintained to this day, and is fairly capable.

Point being, though, API translation is being done in a major project. :)

Because it was a partnership with Canonical.

Bastard SquallStrife beating me before i posted :).

Edited by Xen

Because (regardless of the partnership) its always wise to build a platform based around the most used\most popular product.

Ubuntu has the widest spread of users and devices.

Because (regardless of the partnership) its always wise to build a platform based around the most used\most popular product.

Ubuntu has the widest spread of users and devices.

It's called Windows Subsystem for Linux, it's not built around Ubuntu, they're just testing it against that with Canonical.

There's no reason that you wouldn't be able to use any Linux distro on the final product.

Edited by SquallStrife

Its in the latest version from windows insiders on the fast ring. Saying that, it is buggy prelease version so we should wait

My work laptop downloaded and install the newer build 1511 (10568) and it caused the blue screen with the white rings spinning around for hours. Had to roll back to the previous version for it to work again.

Since then, it's now picked up the new update...