Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

USB stick and security

Getting some USB stick with the usb c ports on them for transferring data from main pc for backup purposes. Just wondering how is the best way to keep these sticks secure. Is their such thing as encryption for USB sticks from Windows7 to Win10?

Want to put highly sensitive data on one stick like bank accounts and medical info for moving. Trying to think what program i can use that is compatible with Windows10 too.

-Windows bitlocker.

-ANY portable encryption software (used to be truecrypt, not sure whats standard now)

- WinRAR\WinZIP passwords. (weakness is they get to see the file name, but they cant extract the files without the password).

Me? I just keep my backup keys in a small safe.

• Like 2

Some USB flash and hard drives come with encryption software included.

I'd go for Rar personally - just use a medium/high security password, ie mixed case with some numerics.

Easiest method - make a temp dir on the PC then make a copy of everything to go across. Then Rar it with the password. Keep a copy on the flashdrive, in fact keep a copy on your phone if it's not too big but ensure it's got the decent password.

What I wouldn't do is - rely on flash or optical media to contain the only copy of such data. Or the only backup for that matter. Magnetic storage way more trustworthy.

Them sandisk cruzer drives have 128bit AES encryption. Yes I know that's not exactly super strong encryption.

Them sandisk cruzer drives have 128bit AES encryption. Yes I know that's not exactly super strong encryption.

Is that sarcasm? :P

you see the price of them too ? you can buy a SSD and put in ext storage device for the same price.

Don't buy media based on included encryption software.

As for flash drives. The price often doesn't reflect the capability. Sandisk are guilty of that too. They market the USB 3.0 "Ultra" flashdrives and the performance doesn't even warrant using the USB 3.0 interface. The "Extreme" drives at slightly higher price point is where it's at.

I got lucky... Woolworths were getting rid of 16 Gig USB 3.0 drives for 2 bucks each. Only 10 left at the time I saw them, grabbed the whole lot (they were the Hub brand ones though - not the best speed but still not too shabby and great value for the price).

Edited by Rybags

Best way to keep it secure is to not let other people access it physically.

You do know why microSD cards were invented, don't you?

Just put several layers of Glad Wrap around it before inserting...