Sign in to follow this  
grifter

Building my first ever computer.

new gpu shouldn't require changing anything

you could get the rest of it now and set it up using igp if you want you just wont be playing much in the way of games on it till you get a gpu

looks like price drops have already started

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB $899
Price slashed! $150 off - normally $1049!

live feed from nvidia about the 1080 in about one hour

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

well you will be glad you waited

rrp is $50us less than 980ti was while gtx1080 is twice as fast in vr and 3x the efficency

on a single display gtx1080 is ~30% faster and twice the efficiency

au prices will probably start close to 1k at a guess

release date for stock around the world is may 27th

1607Base Clock (MHz)
1733Boost Clock (MHz)

oc 2000mhz+ on air

all in all much better than i expected and i get the feeling amd wont be able to compete with the 1080 for some time to come

Edited by Dasa

all in all much better than i expected and i get the feeling amd wont be able to compete with the 1080 for some time to come

On what do you base that, considering that both will drop around the same time, and AMD have been getting better numbers on dx12?

it just seems to much to hope that amd will be able to double titan x performance in vr but maybe they have been working on similar tech to nvidia that will give similar gains

they may be able to compete with single display performance and certainly on price

yes amd has been doing better in dx12 but the gtx10#0 also seems to scale better in dx12 than maxwell suggesting they have moved away from there single threaded architecture (single threaded is not the correct term its just not coming to mind right now)

time will tell and i hope to be pleasantly surprised by amd as i am by nvidia

Edited by Dasa

... (single threaded is not the correct term its just not coming to mind right now)

Synchronous computing? Since the new thing is asynchronous.

Mm, I dunno. I've been watching Adored talking about the two, and he seems really doubtful about either's superiority at this point.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

Say, have we covered monitor frame synch in this thread, yet? (Phone's hard to check on it). AMD's Freesynch vs nVidia's thing.

new gpu shouldn't require changing anything

you could get the rest of it now and set it up using igp if you want you just wont be playing much in the way of games on it till you get a gpu

I think this is what I will do, thanks mate.

Any chance I could run anything without a GPU? World of Warcraft maybe?

looks like price drops have already started

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB $899

Price slashed! $150 off - normally $1049!

live feed from nvidia about the 1080 in about one hour

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

Hooray! But think I'll just go with the new one.

well you will be glad you waited

rrp is $50us less than 980ti was while gtx1080 is twice as fast in vr and 3x the efficency

on a single display gtx1080 is ~30% faster and twice the efficiency

au prices will probably start close to 1k at a guess

release date for stock around the world is may 27th

1607Base Clock (MHz)

1733Boost Clock (MHz)

oc 2000mhz+ on air

Sounds great! Can I preorder from any Aus places?

Also, I've decided not to get a liquid CPU cooler. My anxious brain would always be worried the damn thing will leak. So going to get the "Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler" instead.

Might start ordering stuff today. Exciting!

Any tools I need to order to make things easier?

Edited by grifter

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/05/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-australian-release-date-and-price/

The new GeForce GTX 1080 has a $US599 recommended retail price, much cheaper than most fans were expecting. In Australia, we can reasonably expect that to translate into an Australian retail price of around $900, although there will likely be an early adopter’s tax on top of that too.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/05/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-australian-release-date-and-price/

The new GeForce GTX 1080 has a $US599 recommended retail price, much cheaper than most fans were expecting. In Australia, we can reasonably expect that to translate into an Australian retail price of around $900, although there will likely be an early adopter’s tax on top of that too.

Nice.

Few more things:

- Do I need to try leave something open or anything else to install the GPU later on?

- How can I install windows without an optical drive? Can I buy a USB version?

- Am I being too paranoid worrying about a closed loop liquid CPU cooler leaking? (NZXT Kraken x61.) As I love the look of it compared to a fan... and also seems to be an easier install and perform better.

Edited by grifter

No, just leave the placeholder dustcover slot covers alone when there's no GPU

Yes, you can install Windows 10 from a USB stick indeed. I've done it a lot recently.

Don't know about liquid cooling, I've never run it.

Edited by Jeruselem

thats changed a bit

cpu\mb can no longer be overclocked that means there is no point going over 2133 ram since the mb doesnt allow higher speeds

cant say i have liked any of my razer kb\mouse but others like em so if you have used em before thats fine if not well all i can say is it would have been nice if i could have tried them out first

Adored has had a chance to consider the stuff from the launch yesterday:

Take-home message: Nice job, nVidia - solid card. Massively overhyped PR, as usual, though. And expect this launch version to be destroyed in ~9 months when the new memory becomes available. If you're upgrading old hardware, go for it, but if your stuff is fairly current then you probably are just going to be wasting your money at this point.

thats changed a bit

cpu\mb can no longer be overclocked that means there is no point going over 2133 ram since the mb doesnt allow higher speeds

cant say i have liked any of my razer kb\mouse but others like em so if you have used em before thats fine if not well all i can say is it would have been nice if i could have tried them out first

Yup, I decided I didn't want to overclock for my first build, so I tried my best to put together "the best possible (quality, speed, plus looks) components for an un-overclocked gaming computer". Already have the DeathAdder Chroma and really like it. And tried the keyboard and liked it too! (I'm a sucker for the pretty lights.)

Didn't spot/know about the wasted RAM speed. Whoops. (Maybe it will still be relevant for my next build?)

Also now wondering if I bought the wrong case (too cheap and small?) and maybe should have spent more on the monitor...

But guessing everyone gets the thoughts they made a mistake!

What does everyone think of what I got, for what I was trying to accomplish?

Edited by grifter

Thanks mate.

What about the other stuff I picked out? Hopefully I did a good job.

Ordered everything from PCCG yesterday (Tuesday), so hoping it gets to Sydney before the weekend!

Edited by grifter

Boo.

My PCCG order went the wrong way.

:/

Damn you, STAR TRACK!

(Was it a mistake to get a monitor shipped?)

Boo.

Damn you, STAR TRACK!

Did it go to Austria instead? :P

Shipping a monitor is fine.

Boo.

Damn you, STAR TRACK!

Did it go to Austria instead? :P

Shipping a monitor is fine.

Ha!

No, went from Melbourne to Sydney. Then to Canberra. Now back to Sydney. (Hopefully soon on it's way to me in the Rocks?)

Glad to hear shipping a monitor is okay. I'm a bit OCD and worried it will arrive all damaged from the extra handling.

Guess who actually runs startrack, yes australia post and their useless mapping system!

Woo, everything arrived today.

Boo, big gash in one of the boxes.

Will have to wait and see tonight if all is okay.

Woo, everything arrived today.

Boo, big gash in one of the boxes.

Will have to wait and see tonight if all is okay.

Most stuff has a *lot* of packing around it. Unless that is a truly enormous hole, or your stuff should be fine.

That's why most pc gear is packed in such big boxes, they expect a bit of rough handling.