Sign in to follow this  
grifter

Building my first ever computer.

Okay guys it took me all day, but I have a computer.

(Sort of.)

I plugged and screwed everything in (it sadly looks like a mess which I really want to tidy up once I have things running), turned it on and it went to a BIOS screen - which I guess means I have some success!

The fans also work, and some lights are lit on the motherboard as well as the power button, so maybe that also means I plugged in the panel connections okay.

But now I'm having trouble installing Windows 10 from

the USB version I purchased.

I changed the boot order so that the computer booted from USB first. I hit install, which it did, but then it kept booting from the USB and wanting to reinstall Windows. I then changed the order back around so that the SSD boots first. (Guessing this is a really sloppy way of doing this?)

Success! Maybe... as Windows opens and all looks good, however, apart from creating a user name and a password, there didn't seem to be any setup process?

Thinking maybe I needed to be online, I then discovered my motherboard doesn't have WiFi, so I had to unplug the router and move it into the room I'm setting up the computer.

I set up the router, plugged in the Ethernet cable and... nothing. For some reason it doesn't work.

And that's where I am.

So, is there something I've missed with Windows? My motherboard? Or something else entirely.

Thanks guys. It was a rather hard process... and still feels a long way off. But hopefully with your help I'll get there.

Wow, so I kinda have done it! :)

However, bit concerned that I can't get on the Internet.

Not sure what to do there. (Thinking maybe Ethernet cable broken, or motherboard faulty? Any way I can test what's up?)

Edited by grifter

Make sure it's not a crossover cable.

First easy test is try and logon to the router. Usually it's 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 or similar.

network drivers installed ok?

look ok in device manager?

network drivers installed ok?

look ok in device manager?

I didn't actually install any drivers?

Maybe that's the issue.

Since I don't have an optical drive, I'm guessing this is something I need to download and put on a USB drive to install on my machine?

To install, do I hit F11 when booting, then get the thing to boot the USB with the drivers first, then reset?

Also, my router (D-LINK VIPER) is in the lounge room connected to our ROKU and a music streamer.

There is a phone port right next to where I've set up my new computer though.

Is there anything I can get other than a super long Ethernet cable or another router just for my gaming computer?

If I have to buy another router, does quality matter than much when you have an Ethernet connection?

Thank guys. Not sure If I've missed something super obvious here...

Edited by grifter

if windows hasnt automatically installed the network drivers on install you need to load them onto a usb with another pc then just install them in windows

you will find the latest drives for your mb here https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150-GAMING-M3.html#down-driver&Win10%2064

other than running a cable to your pc through the wall or across the room you can get a usb wifi adapter provided there is nothing to serous in the way of obstacles between your pc and the router like steal and concrete if there is then use Ethernet over power adapters
Edimax EW-7811DAC Dual Band Wireless AC600 USB Adapter $29

Edited by Dasa

Thank you, I'll try that tonight.

No major obstacles so maybe that would be a good idea.

Would a cheap modem router connected via Ethernet be faster though?

Hey all I'm home now and still confused.

Do I install both the BIOS and the DRIVERS in Windows? Do I do this just by double clicking them open?

Do not update the BIOS. It's not necessary 99.9% of the time, but can cause some major headaches if it screws up.

If the drivers you have are installers, you can just double click them. Otherwise you may have to do the following:

1. Right-click the start menu button
  2. Click 'Device Manager'
  3. Find the device that corresponds to the driver in the list
  4. Right-click it and hit 'Properties'
  5. Click the 'Driver' tab
  6. Click 'Update Driver...'
  7. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software'
  8. Click 'Browse...' and navigate to where the driver is then hit 'Next'

That should work for pretty much anything that isn't an installer.

Hey guys, good news!

Internet working, and all drivers from the MSI website have been installed. Thanks for the advice re the BIOS, for some reason I thought that needed to be updated as well.

I've decided to go with a long Ethernet cable for the Internet connection.

Anyway, tonight I'm going to try clean things up a bit, as I have cables all over the place. Not sure what I can do with the CPU cooler fan though, as it's just super long:

http://imgur.com/T7iXbnt

Another thing, once I get my GPU, will I be connecting my monitor to the GPU port for best performance? Do I need to get a new cable for this?

Here's a pic of it all:

http://imgur.com/aVVG5ez

Thanks all.

You've done very well! I've never had the balls to attempt this

Thanks mate! It was tough, but mainly because I'm very OCD and anxious about stuff as a whole. Still worried that I "broke" things.

Great job, just clean up them cables alright.

Any tips?

Guessing I just try tie everything up with cables on the rear, and pull as much of the cable slack to the back?

Edited by grifter

cpu fan is plugged into system fan it should be into the cpu fan slot near the top edge of the mb for correct speed control

Edited by Dasa

Cables on the desk should be out of your way so you don't have to move the buggers when you use the PC.

Keep cables inside the case away from spinning fans or hot heat sinks. I do know the nVidia card to be installed later.

Edited by Jeruselem

Thanks guys, after reading reviews about the GTX1080 it keeps mentioning "4K" gaming.

Now, my monitor doesn't even hit 4K.

My max is 1920 x 1080.

So would the new GTX1080 be overkill for me? Should I just get a cheaper GPU that can max out 1920 x 1080?

Or would the extra power be handy?

Also, was it a mistake not getting a 4K screen? Didn't think many games used it... but seems to be all the talk in the 1080 reviews.

Edited by grifter

1080p is much easier to run smooth 4k wont be smooth even with a 1080 in many games so no it wasnt a mistake better of looking at vr to go with the monitor

gtx1080 may be overkill but its very efficient and will run games maxed for some time to come well worth it imo

Okay nice, thanks.

And "smooth" refers to refresh rate of the monitor?

As mine is 1ms, so guessing that's really damn good.

Also, do games simply play in the best resolution it can on your monitor, or is this something you have to set up yourself in the game's settings?

Edited by grifter

The GTX1070 seems to be a bit too crippled compared to the GTX1080, stick with a GTX1080.

Any idea when pre-orders will come out?

And would the Founders Edition be okay, or should I wait a bit longer for an MSI version?