Sign in to follow this  
grifter

Building my first ever computer.

When they say "1 ms" or "5 ms" response time when referring to monitors it's related to how quickly a pixel can change colour. Supposedly there is no industry standard for this and it's a variable quantity, e.g. worst case scenario would be full white to black transitions but ones like medium grey to black are quicker. But low number = better. These days any self-respecting monitor should be 5 ms or lower.

Response time is a seperate thing to refresh rate. Refresh rate is how often the monitor redraws the display, usually it's 60 Hz but gaming oriented LCDs can be had that go up to over double that.

Resolution - I'm not sure about nVidia but Radeon cards allow rendering at a high resolution then having it scaled down to the monitor's resolution. This can give better detail than just rendering at the native resolution but takes somewhat more processing power.

Heatsink/performance - a "better cooling" heatsink is good regardless of if you overclock, having the innards of the case cooler means you're less likely to have something die due to heat. Especial cases there being hard drives and graphics cards. Also, many CPUs have turbo modes these days which is a sort of built in overclocking. Similarly some graphics cards and drivers will also have a turbo mode by default.

Edited by Rybags

Okay thanks, does the cooler increase performance even if you're not going to overclock it?

Doesn't matter much if you're leaving on stock but OC is a different matter. OC increases heat production so the cooler works harder.

Having an efficient cooler helps keep the card from cooking itself.

Also wondering now if I try my luck with a second hand MSI GTX 1080 ti as a lot of people seem to be getting rid of it for the 1080.

Seems like this would more than exceed what I'm trying to do.

What sort of price should I be looking for?

980 ti are a good gpu but you do lose warranty with secondhand and they use a lot more power than the 1080

they seem to be going for $650 which seems fair

Thanks mate.

Not too worried about power usage.

Where's the best places to look for 2nd hand? Gumtree? Thanks all.

Anyone know how I can get my Asus VG248QE to be in 144Hz?

I found a display setting in Windows and could only get it to 60Hz.

I don't have a GPU yet, so maybe that's it?

I'm also using the Dual-link DVI Cable that came with the monitor. Is this what I should be using?

I'm thinking yes to both those. The monitor might have some doco with a table listing max refresh for different resolutions.

Thanks guys.

New things keep coming up just to confuse me :D

Might also sell my monitor.

Is there much of a second hand market for them? Do they much value? 70%?

(Want one with G-SYNC.)

$1179 at pccg but two brands are already sold out

gtx1070 founders edition are listed on staticice at $780au Friday 10 June