twinair

Where are they now and what are they doing?

Since 2006...

Visited nearly twenty countries

Lived most of the last decade overseas

Gained proficiency in a foreign language

Moved more times than I could be bothered recalling

Finished two masters degrees, currently in the middle pf PhD

Decided to step out as a professional player this year. Some of my first independent gigs this week, performing and presenting in Prague next month

Survived and thrived

Edited by komuso
  • Like 3

kK4DM.jpg

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

there, i fixed that for you

• Like 3

Had injuries and illness that have involved hospital stays, surgery, recovery periods but over it for the most part.

Hope all is well now mate!

For the most part, but my shoulder is somewhat shithouse.

First stay in hospital was what it took to stop smoking. That's almost 4 years now.

Most recent one was in large part due to dodgy eating. Too much fat and junk food can catch up with you.

Quitting smoking is currently numero uno on my list of things to do.

I'll be 40 this year....must give up the fags before I hit that milestone. Should probably quit smoking, too.

It's easier than I expected, I'd done it 2 times before for short periods - about 4 months when I was 17 then about 5 weeks 10 years later.

But that said the lingering cravings and other general reminders of the habit last way longer than expected.

Patches were a huge help though I used them probably twice as long as recommended. Then the gum became a habit even though I hate chewing gum.

Other stuff happened in 10 years too. Had a girlfriend who did the dirty on me about 2.5 years ago. I made the decision not to have anything further to do with her. As if by karma though, she copped a cuntact of her own in a different way later down the track.

Didn't realise you'd remarried. Wasn't your first trouble & strife from NZ?

But that said the lingering cravings and other general reminders of the habit last way longer than expected.

You're not wrong there.

Funny story....first time I met my mother inlaw, we tucked into a bottle of gin. She saw my B&H smokes and said to me oh wow, I used to smoke B&H, they were my favourite. I haven't had a smoke for 25 years, do you mind if I have one?

Sure I says...

She's now back on the smokes, after not smoking for 25 years!

I feel terrible, but it was her fault really :)

And she works for the NHS in the UK in the cancer research centre!

Nah, my first missus was British....funnily enough, so is my current wife. It's not that I'm into British women, it just so happened that way.

Quitting smoking is currently numero uno on my list of things to do.

I'll be 40 this year....must give up the fags before I hit that milestone. Should probably quit smoking, too.

Try sucking on lifesavers instead...I hear there's a heap of them at the beach.

"I haven't had a smoke for 25 years, do you mind if I have one?"

Gee. I was just thinking all high and mighty thoughts like ... " I'll never get like that ! ", and ... " Dis-gust-ing the smell is just revolting ! " :D

In twenty- five years though, I wonder what the tobacco industry will be like. Tailor-made's don't smell like tobacco to me now, so

yeah I wonder what the concoction will evolve to ...

/end derail.

The point I was trying to make is that once a smoker, always a smoker. No matter how strong you are, you may stay that way for ever. But you're always so close to the edge that it's easy to fall off.

My old man hasn't smoked in ages, but the way he looks at me when I light up a smoke...I know he wants one badly. He'll never have one though. We've been pretty pissed together, he never caves in. He's pretty head strong.

Good on him. I thought I'd be buried holding a ciggie . I never thought I'd enjoy a single beer or port or coffee if I couldn't have

my Old Holborn rollies. I smoked for more than half my life though. No. For so many reasons I will not smoke again.

Here's a reason : dusting my home. ;) such a simple task that daily cig smoke makes a total mockery of.

Heh.

I quit again two years back, just stopped, but you are dead right about the cravings, not for nicotine, it's the habit itself and the social nature.

The past ten years for me?

Bit of a blur in a way, couple of relationships, married again now, lost two good friends, one to suicide and one to the demon grog, 10 years would be just less than when I lost my dad.

Had a few different jobs but back self-employed again, a new business gathering steam which is about time, the last one nearly took me to the cleaners, had to sell the house and renting right now. Actually I don't mind it though, the old place had become way too big as the kids left.

My health has been relatively fine, until very recently. Apparently had a brush with Epstein-Barr somewhen and as a result some low level glandular fever that leaves you fatigued. It will go away, had it before.

Cannot say the same for my wife, had a silent heart attack around three years ago, only picked up 18 months later, not operable so treating with meds, lots of doctor visits. Then a year or so ago she discovered she was one of many victims of a stupid medical procedure that was very popular a few years ago and is undergoing the consequences. Not nice at all, going to be a real scandal when it properly hits the news.

Was traveling a lot, mostly to Asia at the start of that decade, it has slowed up dramatically and I am perfectly ok with that.

Cheers

wow.. 10 years? I moved house, closer to work, got a cat, lost job, moved back to the country to be near family who then had some health issues that i'm glad I was around to help with, started helping at my parishes youth groups, got my security licence, been interstate 5 times (3 of those for work), cat died, now waiting for some new work to pop up.

But i'm happy. :)

Kinda.

I do look forward to the future. I've had an idea for a buisiness rattling around my head for the last few years that I think would be an asset to whatever community i'd put it in. But yeah, just got to pull the finger out and get some $$ together to make it a reality.

• Like 2

Ten years hey? Shit.

In that time I got married, and became un-married. Bought a house with her, sold it, and just a few months ago bought a house for myself.

Still in the same job, getting my dinky 10-years-with-the-company gift in September. So, yay, I guess. Do I mind it? It's OK. It has its moments, but it pays real well so... yeah.

I became an uncle to twin boys, they turn 3 later this year. Precious little things, they are.

That's about it really. Not much to say for myself. I live alone with my cat, surrounded by nothing but my vintage computers and games.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

In the last 10 years

* I'm divorced.

* Moved interstate a handful of times. I'm settled in Sydney for now

* My hair thinned out enough that I just shave it all off these days. I miss my mohawk.

* I got my first piercing 7 years ago. I've kind of gone all out since. Tattoos too.

* I have many extreme body mods

* I've been at JB Hifi for 9 years now.

* Went to hospital for early signs of heart failure last year. Many of my health problems are sorted now or any least manageable. Found out I'm diabetic.

* rediscovered my interest in horror movies. Helped a few friends produce a couple short films.

• Like 5

Ohh geez, tell her thanks for the oil way back when.. I was red as a lobster for a week after that sunburn! lol

Cannot say the same for my wife, had a silent heart attack around three years ago, only picked up 18 months later, not operable so treating with meds, lots of doctor visits. Then a year or so ago she discovered she was one of many victims of a stupid medical procedure that was very popular a few years ago and is undergoing the consequences. Not nice at all, going to be a real scandal when it properly hits the news.

--------
That was a responce to chrisG.. I guess i'll just PM him.. and learn the new forum setup :P

Edited by fredzfrog

Do you still eat a rose on Valentine's Day?

I was posting that animation before I was in atomic, and I'll keep posting long after
  • Like 3

Well...look what the cat dragged in!

Lost SEVENTY EIGHT kilograms?
Jesus H Christ in a chicken basket. That's really impressive.
Nice work.
You must feel like a different person.

Lol. Yep. Seventy Eight. I'm still on my way to the last 15kgs I need to lose.

And yep, I'm able to do much more. I'm weight training with a PT to build my strength and muscle, learning free weights as well as the machines. Bushwalking and dance classes are also fun. I've also reversed my diabetes, and lessened the symptoms of my other autoimmune conditions. Which are mainly why I had to lose the weight in the first place. I went from a size 24 to a size 12.

It's awesome.

That IS awesome.

Nice work!

10 years eh?

Shit - That's too long to even think about!

Nothing major has changed - Kurai and I are still happily together

We bought a house a bit over 7 years go.

Had it burn down about 2 months ago.

Several jobs, ups and downs but really, nothing severe - quite happy right now!

Got into Powerlifting and Kurai has actually competed in a couple of amateur comps! (I'll be up for my own soon!)

And I'm sure there's more, but there's been no other major things really. I like quiet...

• Like 1

I didn't even know this place was still here, let alone my account. Not sure I've ever been on here in 10 years (edit: must've been, since my sig is from an ep of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia from 2007).

Hmm ok, since 2006...

Got married in Nov that year (10 years coming up, wow), had 2 kids, moved to a bigger house to fit them and all the pets (2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 geckos, 5 fish, and now 6 birds).

Still working in the same place, no plans to move anywhere else.

Played a metric fuck-tonne of games in that time (of course)... not a great deal else to report though... I like stability and predictability (overall) :-)

Edited by Thylacine