twinair

Where are they now and what are they doing?

Someone told me there's a reunion thread of old farts in here.

So... how ya goin' you bunch of bingo lovers.

can't find my old avatar anywhere.. can't even remember what it looks like.

Must be alzheimers setting in

I'm going to sit back down at the bus stop now and wait for the bus which never comes, just like Harvey Crumpet

edit:

found the old Av in the archives

Edited by TransmissionDump

I haven't been around much. I didn't leave here on purpose. Just closed the tab one day when I went to bed, and just sort of never opened it again. I'm on Facebook all day, guess that's taken over now.

The last ten years actually encompasses the bulk of my time with Atomic, but in the time since I waned I got married, moved into management, had a hundred parties with my friends who these days comprise almost entirely Atomic-sourced people, got divorced. Moved around some more, in Bunbury right now, in fact these last two years hence. Took up jiujitsu. Broke my collarbone doing jiujitsu. Discovered upon returning from the collarbone that jiujitsu place no longer taught jiujitsu. Never really picked that up again either, though I hear there's quite a good school where I am now. Miss it a bit. Don't get roughed up any more. Crashed my car, bought another car. So on and so forth. Life shit. You know how it is.

I don't ever really seem to get ahead, I just sort of move gradually up in station and accomplishment at a rate approximating inflation, which I suppose has mostly to do with my not really knowing what I want in life. If I knew that I'd probably work towards it, but as it stands no path or future or potential endgame really jumps out and appeals to me, so I just sort of coast. It's not a bad life, probably sounds that way when I say it but I'm just being real chill, man. Real fucking chill. The pizza place here is good and really, what more do you want?

Gday there old friends.

10 years is a bloody long time and like a lot of you much water has passed under the bridge.

Me ? Well its a bit of a story.

As you may remember I left to start my own site dudeworld.com.au and it's still going strong. It makes me beer money from eBay ads on some of the content and I'm happy with that.

7 yrs ago I went through a terrible divorce and dropped off the online planet except for facebook (family and friends).

I've moved house 4 times since then getting back on my feet, chasing work and a girl. Married that girl last year and now working in an open cut mine driving monster trucks in the Hunter Valley.

Currently driving a Jeep Wrangler and riding my 11yo Harley Nightrain so that keeps me happy.

Only see 1 of my 4 kids regularly so that keeps me sad. I hate my manipulative evil Ex but that's ok too. Can't wait to watch her go under all 22 wheels of the karma semi haha. Karma never loses an address eh?

I'm on the whole happy enough, just taking things a day at a time and still love doing mad ass radical shit when I can. My last cool exploit was shooting aerosol paintcans, a railway light and a mobile phone with a 12 Guage shotgun at TD'S place. Man that was fun.

You know.. I really miss talking to you guys and girls. The sheer intellectual value, the good hearted banter and the willingness to help others in need. We really had something special back then.

Cheers, Richo.

I like that "back then" sometimes dribbles across into "now".

Look at the love for Dexxie & Kurai when their place burned down.

A massive number of us still have a bunch of Atomican friends, if in a somewhat more fractured way than we did in the forum's heyday.

• Like 1

I've been around the 'net since before there was one*, and I've never seen a 'place' like this one: just when you think that you're never going to see some of the old guard again, there's a spontaneous and magical coalescence and BOOM! a whole bunch of people are back again.

(*OK, technically, there was one when I got involved, but it was still limited to DARPA and some US universities. The public was still dealing with BBSs and screech boxes.)

Anyway...

I'm glad to see everyone again, to know that you're all still alive and mostly happy - despite Life kicking your teeth in, in some instances.

• Like 3

10 Years eh? Rokay, here goes.

Started my 'way-back-10-years' single (again), then met my current partner who I've been with her now for just shy of 10 years ;)
Moved up in the company I've been with (17 years this year) from an analyst role to a management level (QM). With my previous role in the RAN this makes 25 years in the Defence Industry...which makes all these grey hairs make more sense now :)
There quite literally hasn't been a single capital acquisition in naval or air for defence I haven't had my hand in (army not so much...I dabble, but that's it...those guys don't have as nice toys as the others). This job has given me a hell of a lot of opportunities and has taken me to a lot of interesting places, that's for sure.
Successfully project managed 3 large defence programs from our side of the table & currently closing out another one (this'll make 4 over the last 5 years).
Running with the lead team on a bid that'll land us one of the bigger commonwealth jobs to come out for the forseeable future.
Aligning myself for a move from the current senior consultant role to principle consultancy the next few years & focusing on aircraft (heavy & fast-jet) support optimisation.
Travelling (flying) for work *way* too much at the moment.
I've come to accept that we're not having kids & I'm okay with that.
We have become *massive* craft beer wankers & homebrewers

Took up photography then spent the last 10 years in peaks & troughs of actually shooting things....more troughs than peaks sadly. I do have a pretty impressive collection of cameras & lenses collecting dust though :p
I have collected a great range of old 70's & 80's sci-fi novels...recapturing my youth has been fun.

Over the years I have refined my group of friends down to a tiny core team. Very lucky to count physt among them.
I've been lucky enough to have ridden some of my 'dream rides' - all over Belgium & up the Koppenberg, Eikenberg, Bosberg, Taaienberg, the Kappel-muur & through the Ardennes.
I'm very lucky to be in a position to ride Mont Ventoux & Alpe d'Huez later this year.
I've cycled just shy of 80,000km in the last 10 years...and that's still not enough!

Lost 22kg; put 8kg back on. Trying to lose that again but work & work travel isn't making it easy.

Have managed to get a lot of personal travel done:

• NZ
  • Japan
  • Singapore
  • Vietnam
  • Thailand
  • Korea
  • China (from the east coast, north, then west right through to Kashgar & beyond)
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Uzbekistan
  • Belgium
  • Netherlands
  • France
  • Germany
  • Switzerland

And a lot more coming before the end of the year.

Taking my second bite at Long Service Leave.
I don't build computers for myself so much any more, mainly friends & family. I do game the absolute living shit out of my own setup though & have a pretty solid flight sim rig going on a 46" HD setup :3

I am still.....a massive, opinionated asshole.

Not too shabby for someone who's only hitting 44 this year ;)

Edit: wall of text formatting!

Edited by seehund
  • Like 1

Wow, look who's come out of the wood work!

The Dude, TD AND 1shot!

Oh, this fucking guy.

Who let him back in?

At least he stuck with Takoma and not Katoma..... that was a wierd time dude.... dont do that again :P

You know.. I really miss talking to you guys and girls. The sheer intellectual value, the good hearted banter and the willingness to help others in need. We really had something special back then.

Cheers, Richo.

Well then.... post more? lol

For those who dont know where that quote is from; besides us.

-----

EDIT

-----

While I'm here:

Edited by Master_Scythe

Kyrgyzstan

I like to consider myself a worldly sort of person...but I've never heard of this fkn place.

What's it like? What did you do there? Good food?

Spent a couple of weeks on a slow crawl through the country. Started in China for 2.5 weeks, visited some out of the way 'autonomous regions', lots of train rides cross-country to Kashgar (west China), through the Torugart Pass/no-man's-land into Kyrgyzstan for a couple of weeks, then into Uzbekistan for another couple of weeks.

Lots of staying in yurt camps, driving through deserts (Gobi in China & Kyzyl-kum in KGZ), homestays, etc.

Got to see one of the oldest Qurans in an amazing mosque (Id-Kah) in western China & visited some incredible cultural museums with some amazing artifacts in UZB & KGZ.

Spent an unplanned few days in a yurt just down a trail from the Tash-Rabat caravanserai after a small accident with a truck put our van out of action - that was pretty awesome. Days spent at altitude under amazing blue skies watching big, fuck-off eagles glide overhead with hardly anyone around for hundreds of kms.

Epic trip & a great way to see the other side of these countries that not many get to see & most don't give a fuck about.

The food sucks balls. Mutton, potatoes, dill....lot's of fucking dill & mutton...did I mention potatoes?

• Like 1

Just been Googling the place. Some absolutely stunning country side. Wow.

Ha!

Still looks beautiful, though. What time of year were you there? Looks like it could get very fucking cold there.

Nice links....I'm now going through the other pics and wishing that my children would hurry up and grow the fuck up so I can leave them behind and do a similar thing, ride around places I've never been to before.

Very inspirational images. Awesome stuff.

And this was the crapper at Son-Kul :D - https://flic.kr/p/4SeCsa

That is a great deal of fuck-all. More than parts of the interior here I've seen - it has grass (tundra?) and mountains - but that's about it by the look of it. I'm guessing that if you break a leg when your satphone is dead, so are you.

The electric car company I've founded has been doing pretty well. We're working on our 4th model now, and we're aiming for this to be an affordable every-man's car.

The company is pretty mature now, though, so I've been spending more of my time on my aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company. You might've seen that we were in the news recently about our awesome reusable rocket design. After a couple of failures we've finally got things right, we've actually got a rocket landing on a barge in the ocean.

Rob.

• Like 1

The electric car company I've founded has been doing pretty well. We're working on our 4th model now, and we're aiming for this to be an affordable every-man's car.
The company is pretty mature now, though, so I've been spending more of my time on my aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company. You might've seen that we were in the news recently about our awesome reusable rocket design. After a couple of failures we've finally got things right, we've actually got a rocket landing on a barge in the ocean.
Rob.

wut...

Rob.

wut...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk