twinair

Where are they now and what are they doing?

Yeah, but why is Roberto impersonating him?

I've missed an inside joke?

Spent a couple of weeks on a slow crawl through the country. Started in China for 2.5 weeks, visited some out of the way 'autonomous regions', lots of train rides cross-country to Kashgar (west China), through the Torugart Pass/no-man's-land into Kyrgyzstan for a couple of weeks, then into Uzbekistan for another couple of weeks.

Oh! On a more serious note, I was in Uzbekistan last week. One of the best vacations I've ever had, mostly because of the people.

I'm jealous that you got to go to Kyrgyzstan. That was my first choice but flights were too expensive. That being said, I don't have any regrets about Uzbekistan. Out of curiosity, did you try for a Tajikistan visa?

Rob.

Spent a couple of weeks on a slow crawl through the country. Started in China for 2.5 weeks, visited some out of the way 'autonomous regions', lots of train rides cross-country to Kashgar (west China), through the Torugart Pass/no-man's-land into Kyrgyzstan for a couple of weeks, then into Uzbekistan for another couple of weeks.

Oh! On a more serious note, I was in Uzbekistan last week. One of the best vacations I've ever had, mostly because of the people.

I'm jealous that you got to go to Kyrgyzstan. That was my first choice but flights were too expensive. That being said, I don't have any regrets about Uzbekistan. Out of curiosity, did you try for a Tajikistan visa?

Rob.

No sadly. We were only in the region for a short time on a semi-organised trip. Loved Uzbekistan but didn't go much on Tashkent. Don't get me wrong, the people were great for the most part but there was some serious udercurrents of hostility & unrest following Karimov (the Pres) rounding up several hundred protesters, political dissenters & having them killed.

Outside the cities it was a LOT more relaxed. Absolutely loved Samarkand & the Registan.

Kyrgyzstan was totally different. Poor, small economy, not much remaining infrastructure after the split from the USSR in comparison to Uzbekistan....but so much nicer.

No sadly. We were only in the region for a short time on a semi-organised trip. Loved Uzbekistan but didn't go much on Tashkent. Don't get me wrong, the people were great for the most part but there was some serious udercurrents of hostility & unrest following Karimov (the Pres) rounding up several hundred protesters, political dissenters & having them killed.

I quite enjoyed Tashkent, but to be honest, I don't think that you missed much. I didn't pick up on any hostility nor unrest in Tashkent, other than the police at the metro stations. At one point someone mentioned Andijan to me, and while the convo wasn't related to protests I did change the topic pretty quickly.

Outside the cities it was a LOT more relaxed. Absolutely loved Samarkand & the Registan.

Oh god yes. Walking back to my B&B one rainy night I managed to score a mindblowingly good photo of the Registan, and I also had a lovely encounter with someone in the old town that invited me into their home.

Kyrgyzstan was totally different. Poor, small economy, not much remaining infrastructure after the split from the USSR in comparison to Uzbekistan....but so much nicer.

Sounds really fascinating. It's hard to justify a trip back to Central Asia since there's so many other places that I haven't had a taste of yet, but if I did then I'd love to hit Kyrgyzstan.

Rob.

Gotta remember, I was over there *almost* 10 years ago, so not long after that'd happened. I'm hoping things have calmed considerably since then ;)

That's an avatar I haven't seen in a while!

Ain't that the truth!

< waves > and another avatar :)

In the last 10 years:

Too boring to really go into. Still in IT. Still want to get out of IT. Enjoying photography more and more which has replaced any martial arts aspirations I had.

Focussing on how to position myself to spend as much time with the kids while they are still young enough to want to spend time with their parents and try and give them some life skills before they hit their teens. Considering I just dropped $$ on a Prado and a camper trailer, let's hope they enjoy some great outdoors as much as mum and dad seem to be these days.

• Like 1

In the last 10 years:

Too boring to really go into. Still in IT. Still want to get out of IT. Enjoying photography more and more which has replaced any martial arts aspirations I had.

Focussing on how to position myself to spend as much time with the kids while they are still young enough to want to spend time with their parents and try and give them some life skills before they hit their teens. Considering I just dropped $$ on a Prado and a camper trailer, let's hope they enjoy some great outdoors as much as mum and dad seem to be these days.

Try to blend 'their world' with 'your world'

Go outdoors for sure, but keep in mind things like Laser Tag kits, drones, photography, etc.

There's tons of ways to incorporate the lust for technology kids have these days into the 'old school' activities all the fogies seem to think we should be doing :P

This is why I bought my 11 yo a GoPro for Christmas. Now she wants to go bike riding a lot more with me. She wants to go bushwalking all the time with this thing strapped to her.

Then after we've had a great outdoors day, we come home and do some video editing!

• Like 1

In the last 10 years:

Try to blend 'their world' with 'your world'

Go outdoors for sure, but keep in mind things like Laser Tag kits, drones, photography, etc.

There's tons of ways to incorporate the lust for technology kids have these days into the 'old school' activities all the fogies seem to think we should be doing :P

Thanks for the advice but I've pretty much got that covered already.

Balance, in all things, is key.

Same job for last 10 years (well, sorta the same job)

Used to be just a programmer, but now windows domain admin.

Took over my grandmother's unit and paying the mortgage

Now a landlord with the associated headaches

I'm a food show addict (that started in 2008)

Katy Perry addict (that started in 2008 as well LOL)

Into medieval and the crusades history, I don't know why.

Holidays to Canberra and Melbun last few years.

Edited by Jeruselem

This is why I bought my 11 yo a GoPro for Christmas. Now she wants to go bike riding a lot more with me. She wants to go bushwalking all the time with this thing strapped to her. Then after we've had a great outdoors day, we come home and do some video editing!

and it's a fucking larf strapping gopros to kids :)

Shit yeah. We have a great giggle when we get home and watch the footage!

She loves it, says it's the best present she's ever received!

• Like 1

Oh, this fucking guy.

Who let him back in?

At least he stuck with Takoma and not Katoma..... that was a wierd time dude.... dont do that again :P

Ah it was fine, don't worry about it.

Not as weird as when teh ghey was trying desperately not to catch teh aids.

Gotta remember, I was over there *almost* 10 years ago, so not long after that'd happened. I'm hoping things have calmed considerably since then ;)

Oh my bad, I assumed it was in the last 12 months, you've got some cajones :P

Rob.

*Waves*

Gday Twinny, Bags, Hector,Thylacine, Garph, Chales, Tak, Plebs, Director,Tick, Seahund, Robzy and Evelyn. Man its been a looooong time since I saw those nicks.

Master_Scythe: dude when I stopped coming here around 10 years ago this place was f*cked. Full of spammy brain dead 13 yr olds and Haymarket making a quick dirty buck by charging to get in the door. Charging for a place built by us over many years into the powerhouse it became. Did anyone fix that stuff? My last post before this thread doesn't even show up in my profile haha... it's been a while.

Wanna give me a fast summary of what's happened in the last decade pls ?

• Like 1

And g'day back at you the dude :)

I'm thinking you must have made a visit or two in the last seven years, as I came on board early in 2009.

I do remember a thread or two with your nic in them. I missed the " spammy brain dead 13 yr olds ", or is it just that they

grew up to be not so spammy and brain dead ? :D

I'm no story teller either and history always managed to send me to sleep ... but the present now that's another matter !

The cool thing about atomic is that it's here for the wanderers to come back to when they want :)

Decided to step out as a professional player this year. Some of my first independent gigs this week, performing and presenting in Prague next month

Would it be possible for you to show a clip here ? ... I mean only if you feel comfortable doing that < looks hopeful > :)

hello all you long absent people

robzy's arrival is timely, as i have a joke for him...

what do you call a man with no arms or legs in the water ?

bob

what do you call him if he's black ?

buoy

i know it's completely politically incorrect, but i almost spat my coffee on the table when a friend told me at a recent lunch

Decided to step out as a professional player this year. Some of my first independent gigs this week, performing and presenting in Prague next month

Would it be possible for you to show a clip here ? ... I mean only if you feel comfortable doing that < looks hopeful > :)

Video, don't have any just yet. However, I did record a duet with my teacher earlier this year for his newest CD, which just been printed. Should be receiving a batch in the coming week. Will post up an mp3.

Just now, was sent a photo from the concert last night

13235640_10207167240273460_8550372185984

Edited by komuso
  • Like 3