twinair

Where are they now and what are they doing?

Well... since we're doing this...

I'm not on atomic as much any more. I come and go. At the moment I'm in go. But that may change any time.

In the last 10 years I divorced my high-schools sweetheart who ended up cheating on me (many times).

I went on a Thai holiday and met my current wife, there. She's a Russian girl.

Reconnected with the Russian world and language. Once again a native speaker.

Had a little girl. She's 22 months old and the light of my life. We called her Sofia Maya. Named after my dead grandfather, and with a Jewish middle name.

Sold my old unit with the ex-wife. Blew all my money from it getting my current wife here and educated to a level of English where she's better than me sometimes.

Sold my shares in the business I founded. Put half the cost of a mortgage down against a 3-bedder unit in Maroubra, with the proceeds.

Set up another business with some friends. Got a full time job. Started a business with the owners. Curre tly breaking even across both.

Got my parents-in-law over here twice to see their granddaughter.

I've reached the peak of my technical/consulting career. I'm the guy you call when you have an egg and some salt but want a steak dinner. I'm the guy who can make it out of those ingredients.

Thinking where to next. Friend wants me to invest in her beauty salon. Maybe. I'm thinking of transitioning to a technical pre-sales role.

Otherwise, happy, healthy, opinionated, etc.

The usual.

hey leo

i always wondered if you got "that girl" from the posts way back when

good to hear it all turned out so well for you (give or take a wife) :)

hey leo

i always wondered if you got "that girl" from the posts way back when

good to hear it all turned out so well for you (give or take a wife) :)

I did.

It was a serious amount of effort. And I'd do it again.

It's been decades since I considered myself Russian, and still don't. Yet I'm continually amazed at how compatible we are - me with my Jewish Australian upbringing, hers with her Russian, Orthodox one.

It's been 5 years since we met. Not one argument yet.

• Like 2

Shot this a couple of summers ago on a cheap ass cam but you get the idea of how I de-stress.

• Like 2

10 years?

Damn that's a long time. At the far end of the ten years I was in a worldwide technical consulting roll for a largish multinational ;) My main focus was the performance and management of client server apps. I then moved into various regional rolls until one day I found myself as the country marketing manager. That was a fast learning curve. Only lasted 18 months in that roll as we acquired another company which had many folks in the same rolls. I didn't have the degree or experience so the other dude (a great guy) got my job and I moved into a worldwide marketing roll.

Was very successful doing that but 3 years ago an organisational change meant my roll was gone. Had the choice of two other rolls or a payout. I decided, after 31 years with the same company, it was time to jump and I've been having a ball since. As I was at a point in my life where I wanted to change down a few gears work wise, I found the job hunt a wee bit difficult. All the rolls I was being offered were at a higher level than I wanted because of my age and experience but that's not what I wanted to do.

So I did the next best thing, the missus went from part time to full time work while I look after the house and do a bit of volunteer marketing and IT work for not-for-profits and charities :) I got back into photography and cooking while playing a lot more and getting worse at golf :/

We have been travelling heaps, with a couple of months in Europe one year, the US the next and later this year back to Europe for 50 odd days. This includes a week and a half losing golf balls all over the greatest courses throughout Scotland including St Andrews.

The billy lids are all doing fine, finishing their degrees, moving out, moving back, getting full time jobs. They are awesome. The missus is a bona fide fucking saint and we will be coming up to our 28th wedding anniversary later this year.

Plans?

After we get back from Europe I want to go back to study and build on my marketing knowledge.

And my latest addiction - genealogy.

A few months ago one of my older cousins was asking questions about our family history and I thought I'd have a dig. Well that was a bad idea. I've now spent many an hour in the Victorian Public Archives digging through old wills and probate records. Found footage of my uncle's company days before he was killed in a Japanese suicide raid in Papua New Guinea. The records of my ancestors coming to Australia in dribs and drabs from England, some being killed at sea when their ship was torpedoed by u-boats.

The more I find the more interesting it is...

Lots of other stuff comes popping into my head but that will do for the moment...

• Like 1

ok...

Since 2006

• Moved away from the security industry and into Vocational Education and Training. I now work for the Australian Institute of Fitness as their quality and compliance manager
  • Travelled to the US for a second time - specifically New York then Los Angeles and San Fransisco. Also holidayed in Bali twice and Phuket twice,
  • Set up a training school in Manila, Phillipines, to deliver Certificate III in Telecommunication so that skilled workers could come to Australia on 457 visas, and be part of the NBN rollout
  • Completed a Diploma of Management and Diploma of Business Administration and am now into my second unit of an MBA
  • Established a successful beauty salon (which was run into to the ground by my ex-wife)
  • Separated and Divorced
  • Performed in Spamalot and Jesus Christ Superstar
  • Sold a house and handed over another to my daughter and ex-wife.
  • Had two heart attacks and surgery to remove a tumour.
  • Returned to the Blue Mountains and now living in the town I grew up in
  • Ended up on the Board of Directors for a not-for-profit organisation, eventually Chairman.
  • Rebuilt my relationships with my Father and my sister
  • Fell in love and moved in with someone from my childhood

Wow - ten years is a looooong time...

Edited by PhR33X

Shot this a couple of summers ago on a cheap ass cam but you get the idea of how I de-stress.

Niiiiiice!

Had two heart attacks and surgery to remove a tumour.

Fark!

Sounds pretty serious....all good now?

Loving all these old faces....

If you're in contact with any other Atomicans....get them to bloody well post in here.

Fark!

Had two heart attacks and surgery to remove a tumour.

Sounds pretty serious....all good now?

Yep - all good now :)

Cheers

Edited by PhR33X

My turn.

Still with Mrs. Z, we celebrated 27 years in January this year. Kids have moved out and doing their own thing, we're both immensely proud with how they're turned into Really Nice People. I just had a birthday recently and realised that 50 is getting (very,very) close...uncomfortably so.

Been with one employer now for 13 years, have had jobs with 2 or 3 other employers as well. Currently working with a national accountancy firm as a Systems Administrator, but it's really just a glorified helpdesk position. I thought I'd hate it and it turned out to be just the opposite: I absolutely love it, it's a job at the pointy-end of I.T. where you get to work closely with the users, solving their issues and helping make their day a little bit better. I put that down to my being a real 'people person' vs. a tech-head. Having two jobs over the last 3 years is what made me drift away from Atomic; I made a concious decision that it was taking up too much time so I put it down and didn't pick it up again 'til today.

I paid off a really, really large debt to the ATO. That sucked balls big-time, but I'm the only person to blame for getting myself into that position so I was the only one I could expect to get me out of it. Very tough for a couple of years, and the worst has passed. It also taught me that a good accountant who actually understands tax law is worth their weight in platinum. (Tax law is not meant to be understood by normal humans.)

I recently made another decision lately that's had a big impact. I was with Queensland Fire & Emergency Services for 11+ years as an auxiliary firefighter and retired from that in February. Again, it came down to a choice of how much time I had to devote to things, and I'm a sucker for not being able to say 'no' at times. So, for the sake of my sanity and spending more time with Mrs. Z it was time for me to say goodbye to the job I loved doing for so long. I wanted to walk away when I was still enjoying it rather than wait until I became jaded and resentful. I miss it, but it was absolutely the right choice.

I've moved house once.

Still have the same dog - he turns 11 soon.

Still drive the same car. That's one Hyundai Getz which won't die. (I do look after it, though.)

Lost my Mum last year to cancer, brother-in-law from heart attack 4 or 5 years ago. This year I'm taking my first overseas holiday (as opposed to travelling for work or to visit family) and meeting up with my Dad in the UK. We're going to hop over to Ireland and take a cruise on the Shannon River, and he's bringing some of my Mum's ashes with him. They were actually going to do that last year, but the cancer got in the way. Now we're making sure she actually gets to go this time. It's gonna be awesome!

I've taken up drinking whisky properly. After 30+ years of drinking Canadian Club and Coke I decided it was time to become mature (just bit) and start drinking it the right way: neat. I'm loving the journey of discovery - so many whiskies and only one lifetime!

Oh, and I still drive by Director's house twice a day.

Edit: speeling (still sucks)

Edited by Zzozzach

My turn.

Still with Mrs. Z, we celebrated 27 years in January this year. Kids have moved out and doing their own thing, we're both immensely proud with how they're turned into Really Nice People. I just had a birthday recently and realised that 50 is getting (very,very) close...uncomfortably so.

Been with one employer now for 13 years, have had jobs with 2 or 3 other employers as well. Currently working with a national accountancy firm as a Systems Administrator, but it's really just a glorified helpdesk position. I thought I'd hate it and it turned out to be just the opposite: I absolutely love it, it's a job at the pointy-end of I.T. where you get to work closely with the users, solving their issues and helping make their day a little bit better. I put that down to my being a real 'people person' vs. a tech-head. Having two jobs over the last 3 years is what made me drift away from Atomic; I made a concious decision that it was taking up too much time so I put it down and didn't pick it up again 'til today.

I paid off a really, really large debt to the ATO. That sucked balls big-time, but I'm the only person to blame for getting myself into that position so I was the only one I could expect to get me out of it. Very tough for a couple of years, and the worst has passed. It also taught me that a good accountant who actually understands tax law is worth their weight in platinum. (Tax law is not meant to be understood by normal humans.)

I recently made another decision lately that's had a big impact. I was with Queensland Fire & Emergency Services for 11+ years as an auxiliary firefighter and retired from that in February. Again, it came down to a choice of how much time I had to devote to things, and I'm a sucker for not being able to say 'no' at times. So, for the sake of my sanity and spending more time with Mrs. Z it was time for me to say goodbye to the job I loved doing for so long. I wanted to walk away when I was still enjoying it rather than wait until I became jaded and resentful. I miss it, but it was absolutely the right choice.

I've moved house once.

Still have the same dog - he turns 11 soon.

Still drive the same car. That's one Hyundai Getz which won't die. (I do look after it, though.)

Lost my Mum last year to cancer, brother-in-law from heart attack 4 or 5 years ago. This year I'm taking my first overseas holiday (as opposed to travelling for work or to visit family) and meeting up with my Dad in the UK. We're going to hop over to Ireland and take a cruise on the Shannon River, and he's bringing some of my Mum's ashes with him. They were actually going to do that last year, but the cancer got in the way. Now we're making sure she actually gets to go this time. It's gonna be awesome!

I've taken up drinking whisky properly. After 30+ years of drinking Canadian Club and Coke I decided it was time to become mature (just bit) and start drinking it the right way: neat. I'm loving the journey of discovery - so many whiskies and only one lifetime!

Oh, and I still drive by Director's house twice a day.

Edit: speeling (still sucks)

I wondered where all those bags of turds were coming from. :)

(Seriously though, you can tell if I've been out walking by the amount of other peoples shit strewn all over the side of the road. )

Nice to see you're still around dude, you should drop in for a cuppa one day. :)

..." After 30+ years of drinking Canadian Club and Coke I decided it was time to become mature (just bit) and start drinking

it the right way: neat..."

Good to hear that Zzozzach. Coke is purely unadulterated evil shit. :)

..." After 30+ years of drinking Canadian Club and Coke I decided it was time to become mature (just bit) and start drinking

it the right way: neat..."

Good to hear that Zzozzach. Coke is purely unadulterated evil shit. :)

Black Death?

As everyone's saying, 10 years is a fair bit of water under a number of bridges. Simplest to do this in bullet points:

- Got my lawn forked (I think that just squeezes into the time-frame).

- Finished uni.

- Moved from Perth to Melbourne.

- Met Ambrosia, spat food up in front of Ambrosia, married Ambrosia.

- Got into journalism, got out of journalism, got back into journalism (sorta).

- Adopted Ambrosia's fur-baby and added another.

- Lived in 4 places, one of which was MrFriendly's couch.

- Bought a house and renovated it with Ambrosia.

- Got acid in my eye.

- Traveled to Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Hong Kong, China, Dubai, New Zealand, Peru, Ecuador and the US.

- Kissed a llama.

- Got back into martial arts (goju kai karate) with Ambrosia.

- Bought more camera gear and torches than I realistically need. Also whisky, but I need all of that.

- Kept in touch with lots of Atomicans, but less than I should.

- A bunch of other stuff that was less interesting.

• Like 1

OK, So a big hello to everyone that knows me! And a big hello to all the others :-)

Many moons ago (about 10 years) had a complete breakdown. Can't remember any of the highlights prior to then. Unsure if selective, or prescription induced. Never truly recovered.

Had the chance to pull the pin from work with an early retirement package. Left the smokey shores of Townsville and returned to my home town of Charters Towers. Spent 14 months in 'retirement' until some silly bugger gave me a job.

And here I am, again.

• Like 3

" - Got acid in my eye."

hellooo orinjuse...makes me flinch something fierce just reading that.

Edited by eveln

" - Got acid in my eye."

hellooo orinjuse...makes me flinch something fierce just reading that.

It wasn't soooo bad. It was only phosphoric acid - clever me managed to splash rust converter in my eye. Quick visit to emergency, lots of saline solution and a week of R&R and all was well.

• Like 2

Wow. I've so thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's post, and now I feel like a bit of a doofus for my silly one.

While i feel that I'm barely the same person I was 5 years ago, let alone 10 years ago, I guess that some things never change.

Rob.

• Like 1

I could definitely say this about me...I am terrible at staying in touch with people, especially with friends....totally...the worst.

• Like 3

Wow. I've so thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's post, and now I feel like a bit of a doofus for my silly one.

While i feel that I'm barely the same person I was 5 years ago, let alone 10 years ago, I guess that some things never change.

Rob.

Don't EVER change Robz. We love you how you are. :)

Last 10 years....Hmmm

bought a new house

lost my dog (to age and arthritis)

bought a new car

purchased another pooch (German Sheppard)

bought a horse (for daughter #1)

bought myself a new pet ( black headed python)

bought a horse float

sold the new car

purchased a handful of board games

bought another car (for towing)

sold horse float

got bitten by a nasty horse (not ours, still physically scarred)

bought a pony (daughter #2)

sold horse

purchased a new float

purchased another horse (daughter #1)

purchased more camera gear, new body, lenses etc

work in the city as IT during the week, work in the country on weekends ,even have my own John Deere tractor keys

that's pretty much it

• Like 1

I could definitely say this about me...I am terrible at staying in touch with people, especially with friends....totally...the worst.

Same. Moment I stop seeing people in the course of daily stuff and have to actively look them up, I'm doing well to see them again ever, let alone regularly.

Last 10 years....Hmmm

bought a new house

lost my dog (to age and arthritis)

bought a new car

purchased another pooch (German Sheppard)

bought a horse (for daughter #1)

bought myself a new pet ( black headed python)

bought a horse float

sold the new car

purchased a handful of board games

bought another car (for towing)

sold horse float

got bitten by a nasty horse (not ours, still physically scarred)

bought a pony (daughter #2)

sold horse

purchased a new float

purchased another horse (daughter #1)

purchased more camera gear, new body, lenses etc

work in the city as IT during the week, work in the country on weekends ,even have my own John Deere tractor keys

that's pretty much it

So a lot of horsing around then?