twinair

Where are they now and what are they doing?

Crikey.. there's so much to tell...

I got crook... Real crook. Lost huge amount of weight. Dropped down to 68kg. Haven't been that light since 9th grade.

Found out it was arthritis. damn. Back on board now but struggling with the booze.

Finally got off my ass and got a real job as a surveyor in Qld.

Realized i liked being on my own, so I'm single now with only the company of a recalcitrant cat (who i love).

Job is kinda cool but sucks too. Depression has always been a part of my life and it has been rearing it's head lately.

Off on stress leave for two weeks. Back now and trying to integrate which is tough.

Still... could be worse. I get cat cuddles every night. :)

• Like 3

10 years past, I feel old thinking back now :-p

hmmm, well 10 years ago I was working in IT for lawyers. In some ways, it does seem a long time ago. A different lifetime, almost; certainly a different life.

In the interim, I split with my previous partner, changed jobs, met my now-husband, changed jobs again, moved a couple of times.

I ended up in a couple of bad jobs in a row that really took it all out of me and I sat down and figured out what I really wanted from life: I wanted to help people feel better, and I wanted family close by. I was already a yoga instructor but I quit IT entirely and took most of the year off to re-qualify as a remedial massage therapist whilst also dedicating myself more fully to yoga sadhana. I then travelled through Europe for a bit (and crossed off two life dreams; to visit Germany and to go to Wave Gotik Treffen) to return to my dream job with my favourite teacher at college. I started the training to become a Zenthai Shiatsu therapist (I'm currently a ZTS practitioner; on my way to becoming a therapist).

I then got married, aaaaaaaand I'm currently on hiatus from my dream job to be a stay at home mum to our 8-ish month old baby girl.

So, a few changes :-p

• Like 2

Since I last really checked in around here in any kind of meaningful way, it'd probably be about five or so years ago when I found myself unhealthily sucked in to the place to the point where it was starting to affect me personally, and went and deliberately got myself banned- at the time it was a bit of a lashing out, but in hindsight I think it was kind of a way to get myself out of an unhealthy situation. I think it's pretty apparent who I was, but if not, ask me :)

I've stayed working at the same place, but I've shuffled roles a bit. I spent a fair bit of time in case management/complaints resolution, which has done me wonders in terms of personal growth - it turns out when it's your job to get yelled at, you quickly build up a lot of confidence and a lot of things bounce right off you. If anything it's probably worked a little too well as sometimes that confidence spills over to cockiness! That said my current place of employment is becoming rather unstable and isn't really sustainable in the long term, so I think it's time to think about another career choice in the coming months. The question I'm currently facing is what I want that to be - I'm the classic guy who doesn't know what he wants to do for the rest of his life, and at 30 I should probably really start thinking about it! If only I could get paid to write my project or travel :D

In terms of well-being I'm overall pretty good. Weight does do the odd yo-yo which I have to get on top of (the perils of a sedentary yet high-stress job!), but that's doable. I've found I've regained a sense of optimism in the world and people around it which I'm very happy with, and a lot of the bitterness and resentment some might have remembered me having have long since faded. Anxiety comes after me every few years but I have learned the secrets and have a good support network to kick its arse ASAP. If anything I'm probably a little *too* cruisy at the moment- while it's good to easily be satisfied there's so much more I should chase. Hair's receded a tad, but I can grow a halfway decent beard now so it's a fair trade!

In terms of family, I've become an uncle again two more times. No children myself - I've come to accept I don't really have the parental mindset and have no real desire to have kids, and I have no real desire to settle down at the moment - I'm pretty selective in who I get involved with and I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at. This might be a double-edged sword if I leave it too long, but for now it's good.

I still work towards my goal of writing a fantasy epic one day - the engine is slowly but surely getting steam and I hope to have something out in the next couple of years.

Travel has become a new passion of mine in the past few years - I went to Hong Kong in 2014 and absolutely fell in love with the place. Followed it up with a trip to Malaysia and Cambodia, and I've found I really love adventuring, going to exotic places and immersing myself in culture and beauty. I think I care for my family too much to go anywhere long-term, but I do love my sojourns away from home and hope to keep doing them. I'm going to Fiji in three days time, which I'm very much looking forward to!

I drift in and out of here, and I'm actually quite happy for it to be that way, it's what my involvement *should* have been from the start, rather than being tethered to the community like a replacement for real life. I talk with some of the old crew still - I lived with King_Of_The_Mountain for years, and play D&D with the Perth guys regularly. I still keep in touch with a lot of the people I took a shine to on here via FB as well.

So yeah, that's me. Older, wiser, et cetera.

Edited by aquilus
  • Like 1

I think it's pretty apparent who I was, but if not, ask me :)

DMB? :P

but seriously.... I have no idea....

Lol, he told me to ..." go to hell " ...< In righteous indignation !! > I said ... " no " :D

edit: ^^ not aquilas ... his former self :)

Edited by eveln

Not to make anyone in the community sound any less important by any means, but I dont usually follow who's going to hell and who isnt :P so I still have no idea :P

Not to make anyone in the community sound any less important by any means, but I dont usually follow who's going to hell and who isnt :P so I still have no idea :P

lol. It was pretty much my last recorded deed on atomic. I had a *lot* of pent up anger and I think that was the last straw. I was The Manta.

Oh Wow, cool!

So many old friends coming back.

I know it might sound a little pathetic, but I literally had 2 people in my teenage years who were 'spiteful' friends, and that was it. So true friends? People I felt I could talk to, or 'hang out' with; was here, atomic.

So being able to see all these old friends once again, come back, warms my heart like I haven't felt in probably 5+ years :)

So glad to see everyones name pop up :)

lol. It was pretty much my last recorded deed on atomic. I had a *lot* of pent up anger and I think that was the last straw. I was The Manta.

Yeah well just so's we're all clear here ... I didn't RTM you or nuthingk, roight ? :P

Edited by eveln

10 years.. Lessee..

Bought a house.

Had a son

Got Married.

Change jobs a few times.

Currently employed in a job referred to me by an Atomican (/waves Vanna)

Taken up charcuterie (BACON FTW)

Still homebrewing.(But not as much)

Still Blacksmithing (But not as much)

Put on a bit of weight (about 8kg)

Haven't been to Wushu after a significant injury. Hope to return this year. (I twisted my back and impacted my hip in the injury. The "Move" I was doing? A straight jump in warm ups)

Now really into marine fishkeeping. (Have a marine tank with 2 B&W clowns and a blenny)

AD

10 years. Hmmm.

10 years ago I was a shithead 19 year old driving around in a car that had no business being on the road, doing all the drugs I could find, working at McDonalds and starting to deal with crippling depression.

Since then? Rode the depression train right through and came out the other side. Spent 5 years on the dole being a useless cunt. Gotten a job, gotten a GOOD job, moved to Australia, been with the current mrs for 5.5 years, and basically sorted my shit out all round. Lost 40KG. Found it again. About to try and lose it again.

• Like 4

Still waiting for the Fuzz to put in an appearance.:)

and ...

Tantryl

Midnighter

SnowSquirrel

Foods

Pantsmonkey

Girvo

DEVERE

and thinking of DEV calls to mind all the other WA mob

• Like 1

:)

Middy is in the midst of a PC rebuild, I'll give him a nudge.

Cheers

Yeah well just so's we're all clear here ... I didn't RTM you or nuthingk, roight ? :P

Hmmmmm... .

Not saying nuthingk... roight! :P

:D

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Hmmmmm... <Checks RTMs>.

Not saying nuthingk... roight! :P

:D

Prove it ... or fuck off with the inuendo :D

What ? :)

lols dude.....

I repeat ... What ? :)

lols dude.....

srsly?

You've never heard of 'Innuendos', the famous Italian gay bar from the eighties?

lols dude.....

srsly?

You've never heard of 'Innuendos', the famous Italian gay bar from the eighties?

No.

lols dude.....

srsly?

No.

Oh.

No wonder you didn't know what was going on then. :0

lols dude.....

srsly?

No.

Oh.

No wonder you didn't know what was going on then. :0

Well if you do know what's going on then spell it out, please :)