Chaos.Lady

Board Games thread

European mainly.

For those who aren't Board Game freaks, this is a style of board games that tend to have deeper complexity and strategy. Not monopoly or scrabble. :p

Just recently got an awesome game called Tash Kalar which is a brain melting cross between Go and Magic the Gathering. Sort of. :)

Recently, working through Legendary Encounters: Alien, Mage Knight, Sushi Go, Takaido, Settlers of Catan (got the helpers and a expansion), SmallWorld, Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island, Carcassone (with a bunch of expansions) among others.

About to get Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz which I so can't wait for.

Any other board gamers out there? Which are your favourites? Any reviews of Dungeon

Lords/Petz? Anyone else played Tash Kalar?

Edit: for those who still need a definition of the kinds of games I'm talking about, try this http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eurogame

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Me and junior used to get together with a gang every Sunday arvo for a while until he got too busy with school work. Played a heap of different ones but don't remember their names now, except for BattleStar Galactica and The Walking dead. :) They sound like the same types that you are talking about.

Hadn't played an actual board game since I was about 14 - until my niece started playing Monopoly last year.

I got into tabletop an P&P RPGs instead. And 'outer games, of course - like that needs saying in here.

There's a few on pretty high rotation here.

Carcasonne is right up there, and Quirkle is *epic* for such a simple, simple idea.

Splendour, too, is great fun.

I also still paddle a bit in the Warhammer, and Magic: The Gathering end of the pool.

A little shot of our games cupboard, at the moment. There's a tonne more I'd love to buy, but space (as you can see) is chronically lacking.

3YJ6GXU.jpg

• Like 1

https://goo.gl/photos/o4AXJS78jxNdoXLc7

As you can see, my games cupboard is just as bad. :p

I see you have Tsuro and Zombies!!! Both are awesomely fun.

I got a google URL error in the link

Last board game i played was when i was about 15. Used love Cluedo and Battleships.

Uuurrgggg. Stupid posting from my iPad. I'll warm up the PC.

IMAG0011_zpsfe6o9jqe.jpg

The forums apparently don't play nice with google photos.

Edited by Chaos.Lady

Uuurrgggg. Stupid posting from my iPad. I'll warm up the PC.

I got the pic okay.

• Like 1

https://goo.gl/photos/o4AXJS78jxNdoXLc7

As you can see, my games cupboard is just as bad. :p

I see you have Tsuro and Zombies!!! Both are awesomely fun.

Hot damn! That's an impressive collection, right there!

It's a about to get a serious clean out and reorganise.

Most of the non-euro games are headed for the garage and the rest need cleaning up and putting into some sort of order.

I'll post a better pic when that's done in the next couple of weeks. :)

Oh! What can you tell me about Takenoko and DungeonQuest?

Both are on my list of future buys. :)

edit: Hmmm - so is Pandemic Legacy and Splendor for that matter. :)

Avalon is still my favourite. It's more of a deception game than a strategy one... until you get experienced and start metagaming.

That's on my list too.

I'm gonna stay poor forever. :(

Last one I played was Ticket to Ride. Fun

Also on my list. But I'm trying to find the Scandinavian one which looks brilliant.

Edited by Chaos.Lady

I have some of those games as well.

Just keen to get my son to play Chess and other board games.

3.5 years old, time he be able to play Monopoly ?

Also on my list. But I'm trying to find the Scandinavian one which looks brilliant.

We have that one!! It's freaking awesome :-)

Aaaand not much else. But, 8 month old. So. We pretty much have nothing anymore :-p

• Like 1

i almost bought Settlers after watching one of those Wesley Crusher playing stuff vids. but i dont really have anyone i could play that with :(

• Like 1

I get my daughters (15 and 12 year old) involved with board games. I believe there comes a time in this generation where we have to have some social activity rather than just on the phone, pc, or tablet. We get together with afew friends and have gaming session. My favorites are as follows Settlers of Catan, Settlers of Catan dice game, Zombies, Star Wars X-Wing, Ticket To Ride (original), Pandemic, Last Night On Earth and Munchkin.

There are also some little 15 minute games that we play, Zombie dice, Love letter and Get Bit.

• Like 1

I get my daughters (15 and 12 year old) involved with board games. I believe there comes a time in this generation where we have to have some social activity rather than just on the phone, pc, or tablet. We get together with afew friends and have gaming session. My favorites are as follows Settlers of Catan, Settlers of Catan dice game, Zombies, Star Wars X-Wing, Ticket To Ride (original), Pandemic, Last Night On Earth and Munchkin.

There are also some little 15 minute games that we play, Zombie dice, Love letter and Get Bit.

Munchkin is awesome fun.

Munchkin is a friendship ruiner. :) I have a few problems with the mechanics of it.

SoC is brilliant, but it really needs the helper set to make it awesome. It gets rid of a few really annoying gameplay aspects. I have the Lord of the Rings Love Letter which is a great game. I carry it in my bag to play when I'm stuck with someone and bored. :)

Have you played Sushi Go with them? It might be an excellent addition to your collection. It's very easy to learn, but has some really interesting strategy. It should work for their ages too.

Munchkin is a friendship ruiner. :) I have a few problems with the mechanics of it.

SoC is brilliant, but it really needs the helper set to make it awesome. It gets rid of a few really annoying gameplay aspects. I have the Lord of the Rings Love Letter which is a great game. I carry it in my bag to play when I'm stuck with someone and bored. :)

Have you played Sushi Go with them? It might be an excellent addition to your collection. It's very easy to learn, but has some really interesting strategy. It should work for their ages too.

No I haven't.. I'll check it out..thx for heads up

another I forgot to mention but play without the kids is Cards Against Humanity..

We play lots of board games...although little in the way of Euro's. Closest thing to a heave Euro I have played is Power Grid probably.

We play a lot of Dead of Winter, TTR, Dominion, Carcassone, and on and on.

We play a few simpler games with out daughter...she loves Roll For It and Zombie Dice.

I really want to get into more board games. Only recent one I've played is Relic, which I enjoy, but the play time is so ridiculously long. I want to get City of Horror, but $$

And a lot of games end up being so expensive and then too fiddly or time consuming for people to bother with :(

Or boring :(

Hector - how shit was QI the board game? :P

APKhNAQ.jpg

Soooo...there's a Mind Games shutting down a few 'burbs over from where I live. Scored me a few games for cheap.

(not shown, the fistful of M:TG boosters I also snagged)

• Like 1

Ohhhhhh, that's a nice score right there! :)

Let me know how Machi Koro plays. It's been on my wishlist for a while.