twinair

Any model ship builders here? I'm building the HMS Endeavour!

I've posted some pics and stories of my recent model building adventures.

Well I'm about to undertake a build which is pretty daunting, never built anything like this before. It arrived today, some pics below. Still waiting on some tools to arrive, but once they do I will start building this beast!

It's a 1:54 scale model of the HMS Endeavour.

If anyone is into or has built ships before, I'd love to hear from you and take on any advice. Or if anyone wants to just watch me make a mess of this, watch this space!

What it's supposed to look like!

oc14005b.jpg

My bits and pieces:

9ZLQ0XI.jpg

RAjNhgh.jpg

ewuCNDo.jpg

FtyjMvT.jpg

R4kDaaW.jpg

• Like 2

A past boss of mine was a frequent visitor to SE-Asia, and brought back several hand-made model ships (of the sailed kind), and he paid peanuts for them.

I think there would be a lot of satisfaction in building them yourself, if you have the patience (and the hand-eye coordination!)

I'm more a modern ship person though, I love battleships and large commercial vessels.

I think I will gain a huge amount of satisfaction building this. I really love working with wood, love making things and I love building models. If I can get it to look anything like it is supposed to be, I'll be happy.

The hardest part is getting the planks onto the hull. The process is called planking. I thought that was just kids being dickheads in public?

Anyway. That's the part that will take the most patience, skill and effort.

Have a look at some YT videos, if you're interested, about planking. Fun detailed stuff!

Not sure the planking is the only thing that will test your patience :D I've seen some youtube of guys

who are into this. Did you know there a separate tubes that will concentrate solely on tying of knots, and those

little wooden discs with holes in them ( they do have a name ? ) need threading and knotting on to beams etc ? ...

edit : of course this might be an interesting time to give the ciggies a flick ..

Edited by eveln

I'm envious of your ability to see on that scale.

I used to LOVE modeling, whether it was painting warhammer, or building scale. It was so good.

No hope now.

what does it do?

Where is your post count and why cant i click your name......

EDIT: nevermind it fixed itself.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Not sure the planking is the only thing that will test your patience :D I've seen some youtube of guys

who are into this. Did you know there a separate tubes that will concentrate solely on tying of knots, and those

little wooden discs with holes in them ( they do have a name ? ) need threading and knotting on to beams etc ? ...

edit : of course this might be an interesting time to give the ciggies a flick ..

Yes.

Dead eyes, they're called. I have learned a lot about this in recent times!

I'm a nautical cunt, now!

• Like 2

WTF is that, hung? A ouija board?

I'm waiting on this book to arrive....this will help me with historical accuracy. I'm not intending to just glue this thing together. I'm intending on making this as amazing and as accurate as possible.

78968_Lrg.jpg

Haven't done it, actually last model I had anything to do with was Darth Vaders Tie Fighter probably when I was about 12.

As it happened that one I hung for a while then somehow it travelled with me until I finally threw it out sometime probably around 15 years ago.

One of my mates has done a shitload of models, I think mosly WW2 planes, ships, aircraft carriers. He's got MS so I think part reasoning was keeping busy when he was off work and I should think it also helps to keep up the dexterity.

First video I found on the planking process... fark, that will be some fiddly, precise stuff that on it's own could run into months worth of late night sessions.

First video I found on the planking process... fark, that will be some fiddly, precise stuff that on it's own could run into months worth of late night sessions.

Yep, it's a bit scary actually. I've joined a model ship forum. I'm getting loads of advice and picking up tips after picking everyone's brain there.

its a mandala painstakingly 'painted' using coloured sand. (search pics, theyre amazing). ...which the monks promptly destroy.

• Like 2

I tried building the HMS Victory many years ago, but I cracked the shits with it and chucked it in the bin.

My interest in these things waxes and wanes, and as much as I'd love to try and build a timber ship again, I just haven't got the space to store it when I'm not interested in it.

I've still got a half-completed OO Hornby train set under the sofa in the living room that I really want to get back to, too.

• Like 1

its a mandala painstakingly 'painted' using coloured sand. (search pics, theyre amazing). ...which the monks promptly destroy.

Oh yeah, sounds tops. I'll suss them out.

I'd fucking drop a monk if he tried that shit with me.

I tried building the HMS Victory many years ago, but I cracked the shits with it and chucked it in the bin.

I'm really hoping I don't reach that point!

Oh yeah, sounds tops. I'll suss them out.

I'd fucking drop a monk if he tried that shit with me.

I'm really hoping I don't reach that point!

Here you go philistines....

Mandalas

The Tibetan mandala is a tool for gaining wisdom and compassion and generally is depicted as a tightly balanced, geometric composition wherein deities reside. The principal deity is housed in the center. The mandala serves as a tool for guiding individuals along the path to enlightenment. Monks meditate upon the mandala, imagining it as a three-dimensional palace. The deities who reside in the palace embody philosophical views and serve as role models. The mandala's purpose is to help transform ordinary minds into enlightened ones.

The Sand Mandala

Mandalas constructed from sand are unique to Tibetan Buddhism and are believed to effect purification and healing. Typically, a great teacher chooses the specific mandala to be created. Monks then begin construction of the sand mandala by consecrating the site with sacred chants and music. Next, they make a detailed drawing from memory. Over a number of days, they fill in the design with millions of grains of colored sand. At its completion, the mandala is consecrated. The monks then enact the impermanent nature of existence by sweeping up the colored grains and dispersing them in flowing water.

How Mandalas Heal

According to Buddhist scripture, sand mandalas transmit positive energies to the environment and to the people who view them. While constructing a mandala, Buddhist monks chant and meditate to invoke the divine energies of the deities residing within the mandala. The monks then ask for the deities' healing blessings. A mandala's healing power extends to the whole world even before it is swept up and dispersed into flowing water—a further expression of sharing the mandala's blessings with all.

Tibetan Buddhism

The historical Buddha, founder of Buddhism in India during the fifth century B.C.E., taught the impermanence of existence. Tibetan Buddhism, which developed in the seventh century, draws its main tenets from Indian Buddhism: individual enlightenment, the liberation of all beings, and the development of compassion and insight into the nature of reality.

i would definitely enjoy building your motorbike one because it would be great way to learn about the anatomy of bikes. but then i would give it away so it could become someone else's dust/storage problem!

this one, even more interesting. but much harder to give away.

I did enjoy that aspect, learning about the anatomy of a Ducati. But I've rebuilt an actual motorbike before, so I knew a decent amount already. Although that was a pretty old bike, but still, I learnt a shitload! Except tuning carburettors, fuck that, someone else can do that. Pain in the arse.

The Ducati and the Lamborghini are going into display cases. That was until I bought the ship....now I will have to buy a display cabinet! Been sussing them out on Gumtree and eBay. Can get a decent sized, free standing cabinet for under 200 bucks. All glass. Seems legit.

And yes, D, I did actually go and have a Google for those Mandalas, found the wiki article....very interesting indeed. Amazingly intricate pieces of art.

I used to build model balsa kits the most important thing is keep working area clean and free of any spills.

When working with twine make sure its not wet unless instruction say so. For those small thread can break easy so keep them dry.

With your tools i usually put them laid out like a surgeons instruments tray. And keep tools clean and put them back in same place so you know where to get them.

For steaming wood use a kettle with rainwater not tap water ,tap water can stain the wood.

• Like 2

With your tools i usually put them laid out like a surgeons instruments tray. And keep tools clean and put them back in same place so you know where to get them.

For steaming wood use a kettle with rainwater not tap water ,tap water can stain the wood.

Yeah, I've got plenty of space in our new place, my build area is basically an old bar....loads of room. And I will put up one of those masonite tool boards. You know the ones with the holes in them? Then I can hang everything neatly.

As for the wood steaming....thanks for that tip. That I would never have considered.

Apparently the Endeavour is one of the hardest ships to plank, due to the stern of the hull (down near the rudder) having some pretty sharp angles in it. So there will be a lot of bending. I could go the easy way and crimp, but I want to do it the proper way, even if it takes me longer. SO I will be steaming and bending planks for sure.

Edited by twinair
  • Like 2

When steaming the grain of wood is most important ,wrong grain direction and it could splinter in seconds. And when steaming use gloves ,not plastic.

With any wood projects you will make mistakes so get some wood and nails ready in case you need to pin the wood together under pressure.

Think ahead and plan the build carefully if the sails are made from Lawn cloth get them washed first ,put them in some stockings and then put in washing machine. Then Iron the sails on low heat and keep them flat until usage.

My late uncle used to build yachts and old sailing ships he has one displayed in Portland ,Victoria council chambers or the local pub ,not sure where it is now. He used to be the Harbormaster of Portland. Spent his spare time making model boats. Used watch him with a mini lathe making the masts for sailing boats then he rubbed them down. Left them overnight to settle down and let them dry out before he varnished them.

• Like 1

Excellent! I'll be turning to you for help should the need arise.

Should? Who am I kidding! lol...definitely will.

But yeah, I am fully planning ahead. I have bought all sorts of shit that I might not even need, but in the event that I do need it, I want it by my side.

I've ordered all sorts of shit like clamps, bulldog clips, swivelling vice, verniers, bow compass etc. Tonnes of shit.

My eBay purchase history list in the last couple of weeks has grown a lot....but given what I'm building, I'm able to pick up a lot of second hand stuff really cheap.

For example, the verniers I bought, was chatting to the bloke who lives not far from me. He used to be an Aircraft mechanic, he was selling them for 5 bucks! Even got his name engraved in them.

I think I will gain a huge amount of satisfaction building this. I really love working with wood, love making things and I love building models. If I can get it to look anything like it is supposed to be, I'll be happy.

The hardest part is getting the planks onto the hull. The process is called planking. I thought that was just kids being dickheads in public?

Anyway. That's the part that will take the most patience, skill and effort.

Have a look at some YT videos, if you're interested, about planking. Fun detailed stuff!

Maybe its just me but looking at that, all of it is the hardest part, but the spiderweb of rigging with all them spools of thread and tiny wooden block and tackle thingamyjiggers is where I would loose my shit.

Looking forward to seeing it progress :-)

Edited by Waltish