Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
slayme1974

6300-FX Overclock

Hi I have a nice easy one for you all. I have a socket am3+ 6300FX cpu with a stock cooler.1 I need to know if it is multiplier unlocked and also what the maximum vcore I should set is. 2 Is the stock cooler ok or should I buy a new HSF?

Supposedly all AMD FX are unlocked "unless otherwise specified". The A-series APUs of the same microarchitecture are locked except the K suffix which are unlocked.

What to do? That might be hard, there was a time when this place was 90:10 AMD to Intel but now it's probably more like 95:5 Intel to AMD.

I'd try small increments at first at stock voltage and see how it goes. Since it's the lower specced 6-core @95 Watts vs 130 for the 6350 you might have some headroom with stock cooling.

But before anything I'd install temp monitoring software like Speedfan, plus do some research on what's acceptable running temps. I would think chances are these things probably have auto throttledown and shutdown by means of internal sensor monitoring but really you don't need to be pushing it to the limit.

I also think I probably should get some burn in software. Does anyone know if PassMark is any good? If not what free or cheap burn in software do you recommend?

Furmark has a "CPU burner" program. It's good in that with or without the graphics BM running it can give the CPU a flogging and you choose how many threads to run (use 1 less than full capacity if doing the graphics to keep it going smoothly).

The good thing is you can generate near maximum heat you'd expect in a windowed/desktop scenario which lets you keep other windows active for monitoring etc. and you can kill it off quickly as well.

Ok so here is what i've found out the maximum temperature my 6300fx should reach is 65C. When I did my burn in test (100% load) my temp at stock settings (not overclocked) reached 82C after 5 minutes. Will adding a cheap aio watercooler drop that cpu temp enough? the one I've been looking at is the Antec Kuhler H2O H1200 Pro.

OK - http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/CPU/AMD-FX-Series/AMD-FX-6-Core-Black-Edition/FX-6300/136

Some quick research, AMD lists top temp at 70 C which does seem a little low.

But information found elsewhere suggests they don't have chip resident sensors and that core temps are calculated algorithmically by external sensor then interpolated by CPU%busy and might be anything from 5-20 off actual.

Whatever... it seems though that people start getting concerned at 60-65, so if you're loading it up and hitting 65 then it's probably time to start looking at aftermarket cooling.

Edited by Rybags

whats your mb? when overclocking fx the vrm cooling can be every bit as important as the cpu

using a aio cooler removes the fan blowing over the vrm so you would need to zip tie in a new fan over the cpu socket

tower hsf tend to be quieter for similar temps to cheap water coolers but can also lead to reduced airflow over the vrm

Edited by Dasa