Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
phenomenal187

New Gaming System

Hey guys.

It's been a long time since I did a proper, researched, build. Did a few "keep it under $5-6-700" Builds last year, and was pretty impressed with the performance of those. I dont have a solid budget but If I spend too much I'll be murdered in my sleep, probably with the case, by a severely annoyed fiance.

This time around, I'm doing one for myself, and while I kinda know what I want, ( a solid "daily" with the guts to play GTA 5 with decent settings) I need a little help fleshing out the details. If you can help out, It'd be much appreciated

All I really know is I want to build an i5 rig, I'm leaning towards the 6600k.

I was leaning towards the AsRock Fatality H170 Board, but upon reading reviews I found a couple stating O/c was impossible on the board, so now I'm back to having no idea what to look at.

Ram? 16 GB. Is Kingston still a player or are g.skill a bit more respected nowadays?

I'll be dropping a 240Gb SSD into it, intel or samsung seem to get the most votes, paired with a 2gb seagate.

GFX seems to be the big one, with my desired game being GTAV, and I want to try out the just cause series. Should I be looking at a GTX750ti or a GTX 950? Theres no way I could justify a 980ti/1080, its just not on the cards :)

As far as Power goes, I've got a shaw 1kw thats been pretty solid for years, theyre a good brand, if mistrusted due to their place on the pricing totem pole. I'll either salvage that or get a new 975 max.

A monitor is unnecessary, i HDMI to a tv

I'd prefer to go buy everything at MSY, but if theres stuff they dont have I'll go online

again, any help you can give me would be very appreciated

ok i5 is nice but considering your budget forget overclocking the cpu and move more cash tot he gpu unless you want to keep the cpu\mb\ram for a long time with a few gpu upgrades

gtx 950 is the slowest gpu i would pair with a i3

ram brand doesnt really mater just the speed rating

toshiba are a popular hdd these days offering good performance at a similar price to segate but with a longer warranty

shaw are one of the worst brands of psu consider yourself lucky your pc still lives

also its claimed 1kw or 975 max is really just a ~300w psu that will explode if your system tries to draw more power from it than that

you need to spend ~$100 for a decent psu

what is your current case?

Edited by Dasa

Ditching the case. Was breifly looking at the Thermaltake bundled case+psus. Might be a goer, only a few bob more

Also, I had a 8ish month old corsair PSU before the shaw. went kablooey in summer one day. bought the shaw, the next week was a hell of a lot hotter, it kept on going. Names aren't everything.

true brand isnt everything but build quality is http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416

even the best psu can die but when they do die they are far less likely to kill other components than a crap psu

shaw sucks so do thermlatake oem psu used in there cases

seasonic make some of the best psu like these ones rebadged by xfx

XFX TS Gold Series 650W $119
XFX TS Bronze Series 550W $79

these are some more rebadged seasonic

Antec HCG Bronze 520M $104

Antec True Power 80+ Gold 550 $117

these 4 psu have 5y warranty

the bronze\gold efficiency will use less power vs a cheaper psu saving you money in the long run

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-the-80-plus-certification/

Edited by Dasa

What would you say about the coolermaster, antec and aerocool oem psus?

Also I never really answered your first question, I'm looking to build the best rig I can for the $ and I honestly just can not justify spending the money on a 980ti unless it folds my damn laundry. I'd prefer a monster cpu ram and mobo and upgrade the gfx as i need it.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, I dont need to play the latest thing at the highest settings. GTA 5 better than a ps4 is more than good enough for me.

To elaborate on that I dont play games, heres the current list installed on here

NFSU2

Skyrim

STALKER 1&2

GTA4 But i lost the disc

I really dont need the best of the best, but I do want performance. If that makes sense.

stalker and nfs would be happy on your current cpu

skyrim would like a faster dual core

gta wants a fast quad core and a fast gpu

most games are gpu limited for example shadow of mordor 1080p with a gtx980

Intel Pentium G3258 99.92FPS
Intel Core i7 6700K 99.6FPS

no difference between the pentium and the i7

gta is a bit of a mix

here you can see the gtx 750ti is struggling to maintain 10-20fps

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=7&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://pclab.pl/art57777-15.html&usg=ALkJrhjG5XcYdJsv-FuSA1FXLwHB9_CBpA

here the i5 is managing ~50fps that that makes gtx970 or amd 390 a good match for the i5 in gta 1080p max detail aa off

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=7&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http://pclab.pl/art66945-13.html&usg=ALkJrhhn8EE4qROEQjkLO3jGJrQG86bCmw

Edited by Dasa

maybe wait till new mid end gpu are out from amd\nvidia you may get better bang for your buck around then provided the au $ doesnt plummet further which i hope ti does for the sake of the dairy industry among others at the moment

but to give you an idea of how it would look now

Intel i3-6100 $159
ASRock H110M-DGS-D DDR4 $82
4G Single 2133 Kingston x2 $44
SanDisk Ultra II 240G $99
Antec True Power 80+ Gold TPC 450 $109
DeepCool MATX-Smarter LED $37
$530+GPU

can you reuse an existing sata hdd?

4G R9-380 MSI GAMING $309

or up the cpu to a i5-6500 $274 and spend a bit extra on the gpu
3.5G GTX 970 Asus Turbo-OC $439

Edited by Dasa

to put it as politely as i can

Theres no fucking way im going that gutless.

When someone comes on saying they want, and have the budget for, a 6600k, 16gb ram, a $160 mobo, why are you telling them to go for the cheap n nasty?

because if this is to be used for gaming the gpu is where you should be putting your money and skimming on the psu is a stupid gamble

you want a sub $500 gpu i am pricing the rest of the system appropriately

you could upgrade from a 5 year old i5 2500k to a 10 core 6950x ($1500us cpu) overclocked to 5ghz on phase change and not see a single fps increase due to being held back by a gtx950

but if you want to see what a decent value system capable of a mild oc looks like swap these parts with whats above for ~20-30% increase in cpu performance

Intel i5-6600K $334
Gigabyte 170-D3H $195
16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200 G.Skill Ripjaws $119
Antec True Power 80+ Gold 550 $117
Coolermaster Hyper-212X $49

this system would work nicely with a gtx1070

total is ~$950+gpu so almost double the price for 20-30% extra cpu performance vs the i5 6500

which will make 0-5% difference in most games vs the i3 with a gtx950

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 2

its not in english so i cant tell if its low or high detail ~30fps

Edited by Dasa

I've managed to talk myself into an ASUS STRIX GTX960 4GB. Since the TV I output to is only a 720p LG I really shouldnt have any issues.

However, after looking more and more at motherboards, I'm more confused than ever. Some $80 jobs seem to have the same features as the $200 boards, with similar ratings/reviews. I honestly have nfi what I'm looking at.

Any help Would be much appreciated

would have been good to know your tv was only 720p a bit sooner that significantly reduces the need for gpu power

gtx 960 4g isnt a great value card its a fair price increase over the gtx950 for a fairly small performance increase although it looks like gtx950 price has gone up $20 since i last looked and 960 4g has dropped a bit

perfrel_1600.gif

as for mb if you want to oc it has to have the z170 chipset they start at $180

if your happy with a i5 without overclocking the gigabyte b150-d3h ddr4 $125 is a popular value mb

ASUS STRIX 960 Going out at msy for $305, seems a great deal

gtx960 ~15% quicker than gtx950 for 36% extra cost

gtx970 ~55% quicker than gtx960 for 34% extra cost

380 4g is a fair bit quicker than the gtx960 for much the same price

Edited by Dasa

Okay, so since this happened, not much has happened. Picked up a 2tb sata, 2 days later my car went bang. So all the computer $ went there instead. Headed into MSY tomorrow to see what I can see, budget is roughly $1-1200.

Still going the z170 route, Any board suggestions keeping it under say $220?

i6600k with 16gb seems good, 8 I don't feel would be enough for what I make my computers do sometimes but 32 is just overkill

the asus strix 4g960 has come down a bit more. I'm not a numbers guy, I could be wasting a few $ on the card, if theres an Nvidia thats better for my purposes please let me know, Keeping in mind I'll only be HDMI'ing to a 720P tv

The real thing I cant make my mind up on is the PSU. I kinda want to get everything tomorrow and build it but if they dont have anything worthy I'll go elsewhere, I'm not CC lol :)

If you had to buy from MSY, which PSU would you choose? or recommend something else. Whatever.

Chuurs

Antec True Power clasic 80+ Gold TPC 450 / 550

the 450 has more than enough power for the system as it is and the 550 has more than enough for a gtx1080 with the system heavily overclocked

beyond that you will find my recommendations in the parts guide

Edited by Dasa

So people know, I've been hanging around, just not logged in. I have some good news!

THIS THING IS EPIC!!!

I havent had a single problem with it, goes great guns.

I upgraded my TV to 1080 when I moved again (long story) and if anything it performs better at 1080 than 720.

I say not a single problem... One minor niggle, I suppose.

The ASUS GPU Tweak software doesn't load when Windows does, which leads to higher gfx temps due to its stupid silent running shit... Bit scary the few times I've forgotten to kick it on before I start GTAV.

Anyway Chuurs