Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Actual ECC ram vs low risk non-ECC

So I've been contemplating ECC ram and my home server.

I'm not running ZFS, i 'll be running SnapRaid or UnRAID.

Everyone talks about ECC in a storage server like its the bees knees, but I'm not convinced.

I've only ever had one faulty ram stick, and corrupted data was the least of my concern; system stability was the main one. So it should be apparent pretty quickly.

I'm no fool. Obviously Checksums on your memory is better than none, but the likelihood of them being required is what i'm doubting.

I was just thinking if there was any way to 'decrease the risk' of running Non ECC ram.

For example, I've never looked into this, but does ram rated at, say CL11 @ 1.35v, have less chance to error at CL16 @1.4v? In the same way that a faulty CPU core can be unlocked and work fine once you up the vcore?

My home server project is just starting to balloon in costs, like all my plans do, and in reality, I'm just trying to figure for sure the benefits.

Especially since I'd need to go to an AMD platform to run ECC, unless I want to pay Intels insane price for ECC enabled motherboard chipsets (no thank you).

Edited by Master_Scythe

I wouldn't bother with it. For same quality pieces of silicon the chances of failure would actually be slightly higher for the same quantity of available RAM given that ECC requires more physical memory to represent the same available memory. Where ECC has the advantage is that upon failure there is some built in redundancy.

Though that said, if enough failures take place you have to replace faulty modules. Somewhat like RAID for disks, it works to a point.

Save the money and spend it elsewhere... like moar SSD. Or hookers & blow.

Id actually really like to.

Its so cheap to buy second hand, and it had advantages which are very clear. Just getting the hardware to match is painful. (mainly motherboard, unless i go AMD)

Id just never mused over the possibility of 'ensuring ram stability' and thought maybe the old CPU approach of 'slower, and with ever so slightly more volts' might work here too.