Sign in to follow this  
Opy

Flight Sims

While I'm off work, I'm managing to get a fair bit of flight time in DCS World's A10-C. Still so much to learn. I've actually forgotten the start up procedure, it's complex enough that it is easily forgotten if not performed often enough.

Tried Falcon 4.0 BMS last week. Setup was taking more time than I had patience but it seems to be a good simulator.

Lockheed's Prepar3D is fantastic too, but I'm not forking out $1200 or so for the combat version.

As everything needs so much learning, I'll try to stick to the A10-C. It helps that I have replica HOTAS controls and the F-16 MFD panels work well too

02_4ScreenWH02.jpg

I

n my current setup, only the MFDs are on the bottom screen. Haven't setup Helios for ages.

Just now, I was flying a mission and got peppered by a 23mm AAA that knocked out most of my systems.

So I decided to fly to a base for repairs.

On approach, I asked for permission to land. They granted it but asked me to check landing gear.

My gear was down and I have no warnings so I went to an external view and discovered I only had 1 wheel and it had a screwed up tyre.

Not good.

Jettisoned my munitions to lighten the load and approached the runway. I have nothing to tell me airspeed on the HUD. As I write this I realise I have an analogue dial that was probably still working, woops.

Things looked too fast, so I went full throttle and pulled up and lowered flaps. Too damaged though. I got past the runway but couldn't gain altitude so I crashed into somebody's living room. Caught the end of a Seinfeld episode while I was there.

A10C-NoWheels.jpg

Does anybody else still play flight sims outside of the likes of WarThunder and BF2?

I play a bit of Rise of Flight United here and there. I love WW1 aerial combat and it is one of the best of played.

By the way, nice set up Opy.

Not played RoF for ages. Always got myself locked in a circle trying to get a guns on a plane doing the same thing.

I do love a good brrrrt!

do you have any form of force feedback? I'm sure that gun should give you the biggest rattles!!

Used to love the F-16 Fighting Falcon sims ,they felt almost real.

You can pick up most flight sim Titles pretty cheap now. Even MS Flight Simulator come with all the addons and is under $50.

Check Steam and EB games ,this time of year cheap sales on all Software for End of year Sales.

Smadge, there is no Force Feedback on the flight sim stick. Un-modded, it is a bad stick to use for most games, even flying/space games. For those I use the old MS ForceFeedback 2 stick. Microsoft used to make some brilliant gaming hardware. Pity they weren't getting enough profits to continue in that market. Every MS device I've owned still works flawlessly (when I can find drivers for the modern Windows versions).

The Warthog flight stick can be modified to make it lighter, easier to move. I like it stock for my purposes.

My current setup is Thrustmaster HOTAS Wartog stick and twin engine throttle, Saitek Pro Flight Pedals (starting to get a lot of use out of these in game), TrackIR 5 with standard reflective clip mounted on a cowboy hat ;)

a pair of Thrustmaster F16 MFDs.

There are a couple other devices, below, I'd love to have, but they are well over $1000 each. I'll stick with clicking those buttons on screen with the mouse until I get a touch screen panel or workout how to get the iPad app working.

http://www.simparts.de/en/a10c-ufc-en.html

http://www.simparts.de/en/a10c-cdu-en.html

Oh, got ipad going with CDU (bottom link in last post) Much easier to set nav points now.

I play a little FSX every now and again, with some of the third-party 737, 787 and A320 aircraft packages. I just like to fly circuits and short routes.

No setup to speak of, just a Saitek joystick.

i used to play CFS back in the day. but thats like a silly toy compared to DCS.

i go through phases of wanting to play something serious and learn much more but never seem to get around deciding on what, and which hardware to get.

a year or so ago i had resolved to get all the fancy addon shit for FSX and do the multiscreen thing with a yoke etc and...trackIR -- but then i got fixated on waiting for VR.

as for VR, something like this would be really cool:

Good point. RoF would be brilliant with a VR headset.

I played DCS World with a first edition Rift and while unplayable at that resolution you can't help but physically reach for the controls on screen. The cockpit is absolutely fantastic in 3D.

You have to see what your hands are doing though, there are about 50 functions that I have access to without touching keyboard or mouse, many more via keyboard. Most keyboard controls can be done by manipulating the buttons, dials and levers with the mouse. But it is hard to work out which of the 2 visible mouse pointers is the relevant one in 3D. Plus, most plane models do not have a fully clickable on screen cockpit.

You just cannot effectively fly a jet with a Rift or similar device.

WW1 planes would likely be insanely awesome though.

Good point. RoF would be brilliant with a VR headset.

I played DCS World with a first edition Rift and while unplayable at that resolution you can't help but physically reach for the controls on screen. The cockpit is absolutely fantastic in 3D.

You have to see what your hands are doing though, there are about 50 functions that I have access to without touching keyboard or mouse, many more via keyboard. Most keyboard controls can be done by manipulating the buttons, dials and levers with the mouse. But it is hard to work out which of the 2 visible mouse pointers is the relevant one in 3D. Plus, most plane models do not have a fully clickable on screen cockpit.

You just cannot effectively fly a jet with a Rift or similar device.

WW1 planes would likely be insanely awesome though.

I think the HTC Vive has two "handsets" which contain a variety of control interfaces (click buttons and wheels) along with accelerometors/gyros etc. in addition to the accelerometors/gyros in the headset itself.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/03/28/htc-vive-what-comes-in-the-box/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-virtual-reality-hmd,4519-2.html

seated experiences are just so compelling in VR, so i think very soon we will see

- an explosion of arcadey flying games (a la Eve Valkyrie), leading to...

- continual refinements to UI best practices

- 1:1 mapping of specific hardware into the game world ie. keyboard/mouse/HOTAS/yoke/pedals

- the retrofitting and/or integration of all this into existing flight sims

This is someone testing out the CV1 Rift with the Warthog.

Might be doable.