Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

ssds and large infrequently accessed files?

I've often heard/read that one should not use an ssd for the storage of large infrequently accessed files (eg 1gb+) presumably for the cost/gb of the ssd's capacity "not being worth it"

That thought aside, is there a technical reason why one should not do this?

Many thanks

RM :)

I'd imagine just because for file meeting that description, Tape is just so much better.

Either way you're spending some significant money. Tapes are just probably cheaper buying 'last gens' drives.

SSD drives store files as scattered bits all over the drive, to stop excessive wear. Long term storage = tape!

Fast access = SSD! Compromise = normal hard drives!

Edited by Jeruselem

It'd be from a price/performance perspective.

And it's not exactly right. You could have a movie that's watched frequently, but video files require about 1/15th the access speed of a normal HDD if played normally.

On the other hand you could have a frequently application that has a .INI file which is updated every time it starts, stops or opens a file. But it's a small file and wouldn't really matter if access speed was 40 or 400 Meg/sec.

I think the whole point is to devote SSD to things where speed would benefit greatly. But generally an OS drive will need most of the files for the OS to be resident. The bulk is in stuff like Windows, Prog Files, paging, hibernate, system restore files. Except for stuff like system restore and maybe hibernate you'd want the remainder of that to be quick access anyhow. Docs and Settings is a mixed bag, the general idea there is just leave it as is but keep folders on normal drives for big stuff.

SSD can also be useful for large temporary/work files. e.g. a few Gig worth of video footage in seperate files that you want to edit into a presentation would be well copied to SSD for that process.

No technical reason not to store large, infrequently accessed files on SSD. Economic viability is a personal performance & value judgement.

I assume by 'infrequent' you are not talking about an archive. Flash/SSD is not considered an archive medium - something to write your files then lock in the vault for years.