Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

When will I ever make the switch? (Never?)

Funny the it guy waa playing with clear os 7 linux for monitoring gateway internets. Loading clear os 7, easy. Installing the gateway monitoring addon? Err, didn't work that well.

Funny the it guy waa playing with clear os 7 linux for monitoring gateway internets. Loading clear os 7, easy. Installing the gateway monitoring addon? Err, didn't work that well.

Yeah, we can only hope DOCKER takes off. We might finally have a 'universal EXE file format' for Linux.....

Yeah, we can only hope DOCKER takes off. We might finally have a 'universal EXE file format' for Linux.....

It kinda installed but getting the stupid addon to function ... nope! For some reason that addon had it's own **** password file too.

While I'm not surprised that linux isn't the best choice for some of you. I am quite surprised by the complaints about drivers, I now find the driver situation on Linux much better than for Windows.

I'm using Arch Linux on two machines and Mythbuntu 16.4 on the media center at home.

I can't remember the last time I even thought about drivers on linux, though admittedly I don't buy bleeding edge Motherboards or Graphics cards.

In fact my Canon flatbed scanner which hasn't worked under Windows since 64bit arrived, 'works out of the box' under linux. As do my TV tuner cards and every other device I own, every diver I have needed for years has been compiled into the kernel by default. The only driver I've needed to install manually in quite a few years was the Brother printer driver. (I suppose there is always an exception to prove every rule.)

On the upside, what I love about linux is :

• the lack of 'tag along crapware' trying to install itself when you install software
  • the consistency of distro repositories and especially the pacman package manager on Arch
  • the smaller target linux based OS's present to malware
  • not needing to concern myself with licences and serials
  • the OS and all the software I need is freeware
  • the Open Source and Free Software communities
  • no Windows Registry

That last is important, I prefer human readable text configuration files that I can understand and edit with confidence.

As for Docker - It probably has a place in some limited way but there are problems with that approach also. I prefer distro specific packages maintained for that distro by package maintainers.

Here's some reading http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/index.html

I get the 'problems with docker', but really, they need to be accepted.

The one thing, and IMO the only thing stopping people who want to 'try and move' is finding software.

Ubuntu went one step better and built an 'app store' for their software (based on APTITUDE) but still....

Until people can click "Download for Linux" and have it just work, it'll be unappreciated.

Even if it was just ALL DEBIAN, that's be a HUGE leap toward fixing the separatist feeling.

I think it's an SDK issue - there's apps for Windows, Android and Mac OS/iOS/mac whatever because the SDK kits just work and you can build for that platform.

Building an app for linux? Might not work with every version of Linux ...

Latest version of Ubuntu seem to have removed AMD/ATI catalyst drivers probably due new incompatibilities surfacing.

I think it's an SDK issue - there's apps for Windows, Android and Mac OS/iOS/mac whatever because the SDK kits just work and you can build for that platform.

Building an app for linux? Might not work with every version of Linux ...

GTK

Java

HTML5

Python

the list goes on really.

I'd wager a good 75% of programs can be happily ported.

A good rule to remember is that OSX is Darwin Unix beneath, anything on OSX should be a couple of switches to get working on *nix

Isn't that some kinda ubuntu thing which might not be even taken up by other distros?

Isn't that some kinda ubuntu thing which might not be even taken up by other distros?

nnnnnnnOPE!

https://www.docker.com/

Hi again,

well today I thought of trying again so that I can start learning Python. I thought of trying to install linux again.

Tried latest Ubuntu, SUSE and Mint.

I could run them using Virtualbox but without any hardware acceleration.

I could not even run the LiveCDs as I got graphics glitches and the screen is not readable. I guess I could go ahead an read on forums etc. and try and find a solution, but to be honest I could not be bothered. Sick of doing that.

Why can't we just have things work out of the box in computers?

I would need to purchase a new PC in order to run Linux... :( Either an Intel APU, or with an Nvidia Gpu.

OR I could just forget about it for some time again and just run Python under win10

Hi again,

well today I thought of trying again so that I can start learning Python. I thought of trying to install linux again.

Tried latest Ubuntu, SUSE and Mint.

I could run them using Virtualbox but without any hardware acceleration.

I could not even run the LiveCDs as I got graphics glitches and the screen is not readable. I guess I could go ahead an read on forums etc. and try and find a solution, but to be honest I could not be bothered. Sick of doing that.

Why can't we just have things work out of the box in computers?

I would need to purchase a new PC in order to run Linux... :( Either an Intel APU, or with an Nvidia Gpu.

OR I could just forget about it for some time again and just run Python under win10

Ubuntu give you two CD's.

"Normal" and "Alternative".

The Alternative is for those with oddball hardware to try.

I have a fairly new X99 motherboard (with a chipset not officially supported) and an AMD HD7970; Ubuntu original CD boots straight out of the box.

Im not sure which oddball hardware you're running :P

Its possible you've used a brand that isn't reference design?

Its like asking windows to run without drivers.

I'll be getting my normal laptop back from my parents (the one with the SSD) and then putting the crap from my netbook on it, then wiping the netbook and putting Peppermint on that when I have time. The laptop has Win 8.0 x64, will be putting Win 10 on that using the 8.0 license.

Edited by Jeruselem

Im not sure which oddball hardware you're running :P

Its possible you've used a brand that isn't reference design?

Its like asking windows to run without drivers.

Well my hardware is listed in my signature. GPU = Sapphire Radeon HD7870 XT Edition with Boost, 2GB

Besides the CPU, we're not that different.

My old card was a 7850 which was a plug and play in Ubuntu.

I wonder why you're having such issues.....

You have to use the open source AMD drivers, AMD catalyst drivers are broken on ubuntu.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

You have to use the open source AMD drivers, AMD catalyst drivers are broken on ubuntu.

Yes I thought so, but how do I use the live cd in order to install linux if I cannot see what I'm doing. I will need a different installation method?

Always seem to be missing somethings, needing to do something in order to make linux work. At least with an AMD Gpu. And the funny thing is that I always prefer AMD GPU over Nvidia on my desktop and I miss out on linux.

I might just build a mini machine with an APU and just run linux on it, or get a new video card from Nvidia :(

Linux seems to work best on those awful intel gpus, due to their driver support. You could install linux using the Intel GPU then put in the AMD card later.

Edited by Jeruselem

Yes I thought so, but how do I use the live cd in order to install linux if I cannot see what I'm doing. I will need a different installation method?

Always seem to be missing somethings, needing to do something in order to make linux work. At least with an AMD Gpu. And the funny thing is that I always prefer AMD GPU over Nvidia on my desktop and I miss out on linux.

I might just build a mini machine with an APU and just run linux on it, or get a new video card from Nvidia :(

Yeah, same as some GPU's when installing windows if they're in SLI or such.

Basically when you go to boot, you need to specify.... is it -VESA ? possibly?

Sets it to a failsafe 640x480 while you install.

While I'd love to side with you on the whole "WHY SHOULD IT BE LIKE THIS?" side of the fence; windows did the same thing to me for YEARS with "Push F3 to install 3rd party controllers" for the HDD's....... fuck that. Never worked.

And MAC did a similar thing, not being able to factory restore behind a corporate firewall, as it needed to touch the apple (online) server for SOME reason.

They all have their 'catches' and in my experience (recent) Linux has had the smallest list of problems.

Edited by Master_Scythe

I have grown out of time for games, and so I think that this might be a good time to totally switch to Linux. Since I also want to play around with Python etc. What I still use a lot is the Adobe products for work, but I do have a beast of a laptop that work has purchased for me, and that runs all that.

Should I look into getting a new GPU? An Nvidia one and throw away my current one? Would I also need a new CPU for better linux support?

Saw someone load arch linux on an android phone, well ... Using the linux kernel on the android phone. It worked but looked pretty unusable due to the screen size.

windows did the same thing to me for YEARS with "Push F3 to install 3rd party controllers" for the HDD's....... fuck that. Never worked.

Bollocks!

windows did the same thing to me for YEARS with "Push F3 to install 3rd party controllers" for the HDD's....... fuck that. Never worked.

Bollocks!

Had to make a slipstreamed CD with drivers already in it every time ><

I used the floppy disk method all the time. When I had my Athlon XP system, and ran two IDE HDDs on RAID-0 on one of those SiL 680 PCI adaptors.