Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

When will I ever make the switch? (Never?)

I have grown out of time for games, and so I think that this might be a good time to totally switch to Linux. Since I also want to play around with Python etc. What I still use a lot is the Adobe products for work, but I do have a beast of a laptop that work has purchased for me, and that runs all that.

Should I look into getting a new GPU? An Nvidia one and throw away my current one? Would I also need a new CPU for better linux support?

I use Xubuntu as my primary OS, and I definitely use it for gaming. It's less of a compromise than people think, although I'll grant it's not parity. The primary toll is in first person shooters, most strategy games are being released with native linux ports these days. The open source AMD drivers that ubuntu can install for you work tend to work fine. They're probably not as optimized as the windows AMD ones, but you're unlikely to notice the difference without an FPS monitor.

I've been running it since mid-2015, whenever it was windows 7 started bitching at me to upgrade. I've had a functional windows partition since then, but haven't booted it for over a year, I just don't need it. You'll definitely find linux better for development. It's a marked improvement over OSX for dev work, and windows isn't even comparable.

I'm more a icon clicking person than than someone who swipes. Having to swipe all the time to get everywhere would annoy me.

I'm more a icon clicking person than than someone who swipes. Having to swipe all the time to get everywhere would annoy me.

What are you talking about? o_O

Hmm.

We seem to run Linux on all our servers, but they are pretty much all in DCs these days and virtualised so I really don't care.

On my desktop Win10, for the simple reason that it is what I am most likely to get support calls on.

Cheers

Looking at distros to put on my crap Compaq n1000c ... Looks like Linux needs 512mb minimum. Linux lite and lubuntu look promising for this laptop. Still running xp sp3 on it. No onboard wireless with this laptop, have a PCMCIA card which works under Windows XP.

The USB in this is like 1.1 and the CD/dvd drive is slow as.

Edited by Jeruselem

I remember telling Tantryl I think it was.. that if I ever stopped wanting to play video games that I'd give up on Windows and switch to Linux. Then MS started giving Windows away so I just stayed with 'em.

I miss Tantryl...

I remember telling Tantryl I think it was.. that if I ever stopped wanting to play video games that I'd give up on Windows and switch to Linux. Then MS started giving Windows away so I just stayed with 'em.

I miss Tantryl...

did something happen to him?!

• Like 1

I miss Tantryl...

did something happen to him?!

Damn mate.. I hope not.