Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Need some Help on choosing a Desktop system

Ok moving to Gladstone Queensland have no idea what Computer stores are in Queensland.

I will be starting Fresh so i need the whole lot including Keyboard and Mouse.

I need a system for playing MMO's and doing some Internet Browsing.

Preferably all Intel and Nvidia. With 32GB of Ram as it seems cheap.

Not sure about DVD player as i won't be using it to play DVD's this time.

Maybe a SDD and HDD combo with about 512gb SDD and 2TB HDD.

Graphics Card or GPU maybe a 980ti or something like that.

No idea on PSU probably 800w and a Mid Tower CASE

CPU cooler ? Living in Queensland and high humidity not sure which way to go.

Monitor ? LED or LCD any hints.

overclocking?

budget?

8g ram would be enough for wow\internet unless your crazy messy so 16g should leave you plenty to spare for a long long time

gtx1070 for the gpu maybe gtx1080 if you want to run 4k or game on 3 monitors

550w is more than enough for a single gpu system 450w is fine without overclocking

happy to pay a little extra for a low noise case like fractal r5?

basically all lcd are led backlit these days what you go for really depends on your budget and the size your after

dont need a dvd drive? leave it out

• Like 1

Not really into overclocking ,preferably leave it as stock.

Should a Watercooler like those ones corsair be fine in high humidity areas.

Budget probably around $2500 on the build. I love the higher PSU just in case i need some expansion inside like a extra SDD or something like that.

The case will probably sit under a desk so it will need ventilation. Found a Large fan from my old CM690 put that in my bits and pieces box. Could be handy. The fan was the large one that sits on the panel. You could also put it in the top of the CM690. Fan never used.

Reading about the new Asus Strix on the new cards they look so heavy.

Can you give me some example setups for MMO Gaming to look at ,thanks DASA.

Unless they're utterly crap you should probably take your Ram, HDD and video card with you. Even the CPU if it's a decent modern one.

• Like 1

aio water coolers are louder and more prone to failure than a big hsf like nh-d15

ssd typically use <5w so unless your planing to stick in a bunch of pc-e sata cards to run 50 of them....

better to take the cash saved on the larger psu and buy a 1tb ssd now with 550w you will still have enough room for any typical expansion outside of sli

reference gtx1080 only take one pci-e 8 pin connector they average ~170w under load

the cpu will use ~70-100w

total system power use will be ~300w gaming ~40w idle

Intel Core i5 6600 $319
Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H $129
Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black $89
GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB $779 <should drop in price a lot
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB $369
XFX TS Gold Series 650W $119
Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Claw $89
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Flash Drive $149

for hdd
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB 7200RPM $129 <value
HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB $199 <reliability
Western Digital WD Blue 3TB WD30EZRZ $135 < slow but low nosie storage drive

Monitor just an option its not something i have looked into much
LG 25UM58-P $289

$2460 still need kb\mouse\speakers\headset

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

YAY system builds!

DASA is the man! But I enjoy playing devils advocate.

Lets discuss :)

Intel Core i5 6600 $319

i5 6500, $274 (-$35)

You save $40 and only lose 100mhz..... Its a sacrifice you'll never notice, and I think I'd personally do.

Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H $129

Asus B150M-K $105 (-$24)

I wont touch Gigabyte motherboards, TOO many failures. I've had about a 30% DOA rate (personally). Dont know why, but its only them.

Kingston HyperX Fury HX424C15FB2K2/16 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Black $89

I Agree here, 16GB is a HUGE amount of RAM for a gamer, but hey, its cheap, why not?

GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB $779 <should drop in price a lot

It had bloody better!!!! Expect a high $400 to mid $500 price.(-$250, being pessimistic)

SanDisk Ultra II 960GB $369

AGREE!!!!!! Holy shit... I didnt know SSD's this big had gotten that cheap!

XFX TS Gold Series 650W $119

MMMMMmmmMMMM tasty 'Seasonic' quality in an XFX box, Pretty OVERKILL with the wattage, but better safe than sorry :)

Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 Claw $89

Heh, cool. I'm one for simple cases, but that works. Looks funky and is cheap enough.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Flash Drive $149

Yup!!

Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB 7200RPM $129 <value

Yes, for sure. HIGH reliability statistics on these too, they're not just cheap they're bloody well built.
HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB $199 <reliability
Western Digital WD Blue 3TB WD30EZRZ $135 < slow but low nosie storage drive [/]

Monitor just an option its not something i have looked into much
LG 25UM58-P $289

Do you play FPS\Racing games? Or mainly things like WoW and slower-speed games?

If you only play slower paced games, so 60hz screens are suitable (I use one for DOTA), then pick any of the 25" IPS LCD screens.

I recommend the ACER G257HL $200 (-$89)

Its so pretty, almost no black glow that IPS suffers from, and just superb clarity, beyond anything I'd have hoped for.

$2460 still need kb\mouse\speakers\headset

Knocked $148 off in 'unnecessary things' (IMO)

$2312

SPEAKERS: Considering your hearing, You wont need speakers will you? You'll use good earbuds or some such, yes? Either way you can re-use what you have.

KEYBOARD: Tt eSPORTS Poseidon Z illuminated Mechanical Keyboard $109

I have one of these, and while I normally hate Thermaltake 'crap', this thing is actually quality. The keys are nice, its VERY cheap for a mechanical keyboard, and its just all round nice.

They ARE blue switches though, so if you live with someone with GOOD hearing, and you're sharing a computer area, make sure they're OK with keyboard 'clicking'.

MOUSE: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse $65

I own this.

6 Thumb Buttons for your MMO needs, VERY nice comfortable mouse, and the 'ECO' mode on the mouse (leave it on ECO for MMO, (there is no need for the 500hz polling in 'slow games' like that) You get about 2 months of battery from a single AA. I buy a pack of VARTA AA batteries from Bunnings, they're german and about $18 for a 40 pack.

Edited by Master_Scythe

Ok thanks MS and Dasa .

Was asking a salesman about building PC's he builds them in his spare time , he told me to buy a PSU with good surge protection. Lightning hits pretty bad here and power is dirty with all the industry up here. Bought Powersurge board not sure if PSU's have internal protection.

You know i like the higher rating PSU's no offense just in case i wanna upgrade.

What about a case?

Thanks so far guys . Just need to find a online store in queensland now.

And remember, if you're not at about 70% or more of the powersupply maximum load, its usually bad for the PSU, the components, and your electricity bill :P

So if you're going to get a BIIIIG PSU, you'd better plan to use it!

Just like Data is getting cheaper, moving forward, new parts are going to use LESS power, not more.

You like overkill? Fair enough....

Stick with the 650W PSU if you like overkill, you're only using about 400W with that system. 33% of your psu 'spare' is a LOT, and boarderline being inefficient\wasting electricity.

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

Actually i was looking at a 700w seasonic with Gold rating and internal power filtering.

That founders 1080 is over $1000. Whats the best in nvidia but about half price.

Whats the ASUS Maximus Hero 3 boards like ? Can get a bundle with board ,16 gb g.skill and i7 for $1000, is that good value. Could get a i5 for cheaper.

Case?

the psu suggested is a high quality seasonic built psu 80plus gold with 5 year warranty

if you want to go overkill

evga 650 $149 takes the warranty from 5y up to 7y

SeaSonic SS-660XPII $219 still only 7y warranty but the efficiency is slightly better at platinum probably not enough to make back the extra cost of purchase unless you run the pc 24\7

using a psu calc with

4x16g ram

gtx1080 x2 sli

1 m.2 ssd

10 sata ssd

6 sata 5.4k hdd

Load Wattage: 597 W
Recommended UPS rating: 1100 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 647 W

is that enough room for upgrades\expansion for you?

if your worried about the quality of your power consider a ups it adds a extra line of protection they filter out spikes and pick up the slack when the power dips or when it goes off they swap to battery giving you time to save and shutdown

CyberPower PFC Sinewave Series 1300VA $279

ASUS Maximus Hero is a nice mb if your looking to oc the crap out of your system with high vcore and custom watercooling while spending hours tweakign the ram for the fun of it

ASUS Maximus Hero 3 is very old so im guessing you meant the ASUS Maximus Hero 7 viii

value its ~$500 extra cost for features your not going to use

except the i7 which only costs ~$150 extra its higher clock speed makes it maybe 10% faster and ht makes it up to ~30% faster when rendering

gtx970 $420-500 half the speed of the gtx1080 less than half the available vram at half the price

if you care about games performance the gpu is where you spend the cash spending extra elsewhere will make no difference to performance in most current games

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1070/1.html

perfrel_3840_2160.png

Edited by Dasa

Actually i was looking at a 700w seasonic with Gold rating and internal power filtering.

Its just.... not as good, is all. they ALL have internal power filtering; its a transformer in there (240v to 12v\5v...)

Also, you're going to find it VERY hard to work that PSU hard enough, to have it in its efficiency range. 700w is just too much to work well.

That founders 1080 is over $1000. Whats the best in nvidia but about half price.

READ THIS PART CAREFULLY AND UNDERSTAND:

IF, and only IF, your current graphics card can't cope for another 3 or so months, get a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 OC 4GB DDR5, at about $399

IF you can handle your current GPU for another 3+ months (your old card will work fine in your new system); then new 1070 cards should come down from $700 to about 5~$600, and be beyond amazing....

Let the hype die down, and the prices will become MUCH more realistic.

Whats the ASUS Maximus Hero 3 boards like ?

About 3X the cost of a nice Asrock, why do you ask?

Can get a bundle with board ,16 gb g.skill and i7 for $1000, is that good value.

Fuck no.

ASRock Z170 Pro4 LGA1151 ATX Motherboard $189.00

GeIL 16GB Kit (2x8GB) GPR416GB2400C15DC DDR4 Evo Potemzs C15 2400MHz $99.00

Intel Core i7 6700 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.4GHz CPU Processor $438.00

Total: $726.00

Case?

Well that's about style isn't it, we can't decide what case you like the look of. They're all more than acceptable quality these days, even the $20 'yum cha' cases work fine.

If you're feeling rich (I only buy $30 cases) What about an Antec Eleven Hundred?

https://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=207&bid=2&sid=245075

32001.jpg

Edited by Master_Scythe

Ok thanks Dasa and MS .

Was looking at the sansdisk ssd are they 2.5 in size ,not sure if i had the right ones. 960 gb (1TB) ones look nice.

Why gigabyte GPU if their mobo's blow so easily, why not asus strix with the big fans.

I havent had bad GPUs from them, but purely because its the cheapest. You'll be upgrading it eventually anyway.

Besides, I'm well aware my experience wasnt company wide, its likely bad handling of an entire shipment at the docks, bound for Brisbane or something, and this was about 2 years ago too.

yes, all SSD's are 2.5"

Edited by Master_Scythe

gigabyte make solid mb

any model can have some duds that need rma

gigabyte made some of the worst cooled amd r9 290 but at the same time they made some of the best cooled nvidia cards

i have a sandisk ultra ii 960g it makes a great value games drive that i grabbed from amazon us ~$300au

using a samsung 830 64g for the os

if it was to be used for video editing then the sandisk extreme pro or samsung 950pro may be worth the extra

Monitors ,for mmo's like guild wars and general usage which is the better brands.

I have always like the asus range 27' for the clear crisp screen.

quoting myself from above

I recommend the ACER G257HL $200 (-$89)

Its so pretty, almost no black glow that IPS suffers from, and just superb clarity, beyond anything I'd have hoped for.

Is their any main difference from the new led screens to IPS?

What is the maximum price i should be paying for a motherboard? was looking at the Asus Z170 pro gaming board in the latest pcta mag..

are you overclocking or running sli? if so you want a z170 mb if not your just wasting cash

ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance $159 gets you alc 1150 audio with a decent headphone amp, intel lan, m.2 plenty of sata\usb3 ports

gigabyte b150m d3h $129 has a small drop in audio quality and two less usb3 ports at 6

led is the backlight which has replaced fluorescent tubes they are more energy efficient but can have other advantages if the panel maker goes to the trouble

the back light goes behind the panel which can be any one of these

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/photo-editing-monitor-buyers-guide-june-2016/

• S-IPS (Super IPS)
  • E-IPS (Enhanced IPS)
  • AS-IPS (Enhanced Super IPS)
  • H-IPS (Horizontal IPS)
  • e-IPS
  • S-IPS II
  • UH-IPS
  • H2-IPS
  • p-IPS (Performance IPS)
  • AH-IPS (Advanced High Performance IPS)
  • PLS (Plane to Line Switching – Samsung’s own panel type very similar to IPS)
  • AD-PLS (Advanced PLS)
  • AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle

tn panels are common in cheap or gaming monitors as while they are cheap they also have the lowest latency (with the exception of crt) and are capable of some of the highest refresh rates 144hz these are features that are preferred by people that are into competitive shooters

less competitive players may prefer ips for the higher color accuracy and better view angles

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Is their any main difference from the new led screens to IPS?

What is the maximum price i should be paying for a motherboard? was looking at the Asus Z170 pro gaming board in the latest pcta mag..

For MOBA\MMO gaming, IPS is the definate choice for the beautful colors and wonderful smoothness of motion.

LED isnt new, its been around since 2007-ish, and its how the light the screen up.

unless you mean OLED, in which case, avoid like the plague (for now)

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

Could not see that ACER model you quoted MS ,seems like the same as Asus models so i might go with them.

Asrock boards look fine.

Asrock boards are easily the best.

So ASUS make monitors using that panel? I thought it was currently only HP, ACER, and LG (since its an LG panel).

What ASUS did you gind using the new 25" IPS panel?

• Like 1

So ASUS make monitors using that panel? I thought it was currently only HP, ACER, and LG (since its an LG panel).

Looking at a Asus 27' with speakers at just over $400.

Looking at a Asus 27' with speakers at just over $400.

Who makes the panel? and what type of panel is it?

I'd be hesitant to spend that much, then the 25" is half the price (literally) and currently has the markets best IPS panel inside it.