Sign in to follow this  
codecreeper

Need some Help on choosing a Desktop system

Don't be that guy that buys a monitor with speakers in it.

Just don't.

Also that's all way overkill for playing MMOs.

Unless you mean specifically GW2 which the last I remember reading was a dog of an engine.

Just don't.

Unless you mean specifically GW2 which the last I remember reading was a dog of an engine.

Monitor with speakers in it is probably a non issue. remember Code is near deaf, so headphones will be 90% of his use.

And yes, hence why I down played a couple of the parts by just 'one step', leaving it still WAYY overkill for probably 3+ years to come (for MMO's), but saving a few hundred dollars in the process :)

Monitors with speakers are pretty common, I think all but one of the LCDs I own has them though I've practically never used them. Tried the ones in my Benq 24" via HDMI input and they're the expected crappy TV quality.

Just don't.

Monitor with speakers in it is probably a non issue. remember Code is near deaf, so headphones will be 90% of his use.

And yes, hence why I down played a couple of the parts by just 'one step', leaving it still WAYY overkill for probably 3+ years to come (for MMO's), but saving a few hundred dollars in the process :)

Actually headphones gives me headaches with small metal parts in one of my ears so i have to use good speakers. Currently i use some old Amiga Speakers which are really old ,love them as they have good Bass in them.

btw sorry for the delay in responding. See WOYM for details on why.

Looking at all the cases i see no difference but just because of a Brand Name. The Bitfenix Ronin looks nice.

As for monitor might ditch the speakers included ,don't wanna put Nich on the Roof with Aggro.

Also Ram with what is the best timing ? they all have different ones.

Still stuck on the SSD ( for WIndows and drivers ) and HDD ( for Games and apps ). Damn Graphics cards are so confusing ,probably go for a 960. Is that right.

for ram without overclocking your options are

cheapest 2133 15-15-15

corsair 2133 13-15-15

kingston 2400 is rated for 2133 14-14-14 which should perform similar to the corsair above

kingston 2666 is rated 2133 12-14-14 the timings being this tight vs 2133c15 could provide a similar performance difference to the 6500 vs 6600 less in some things more in others

if you want to run anything more than medium detail or sub 60fps in new games you will forget the gtx960 and spend more there less elsewhere

although im sure it will run wow just fine at 1080p without aa

Edited by Dasa

Unfortunately, one fact remains here.

The 1070 is just too good to pass up; normally 'waiting for the next release' is pointless, because there's always another product "Just Around The Corner"

But this time, there's not.

I'd, honestly, build the system we've discussed on here, MINUS the graphics card.

Use your existing graphics card for about 3 months, so the price stabilizes (I expect about $400~650) then jump like a madman into the 1070.

Or just get a second hand 970 and wait til later in the year for a sale on the 1070.

or this one
HIS Radeon RX480 8GB $369
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/624306/HIS-Radeon-RX480-8GB-GDDR5-HDMI-3xDisplayPort

pccg also has a 4g model listed at $319 but no stock

considering its faster than gtx970 which only has 3.5g usable vram its nice value by comparison

higher quality custom pcb\cooling versions will be out soon hopefully they wont cost much more

Edited by Dasa

Trying to justify putting 2 SSD's in the build. Can SSD's be recovered like HDD's?

For someone playing games thinking about backups do i really need a HDD? Could i buy a external HDD for Backups only?

Use one SSD for OS the other for Gaming and apps.

Decided to get a i7 and a noctua water cooling with a single fan. As i will not be OC at all ,noise will not bother me as i am partially deaf.

Setting my budget at $3000 as I don't need a monitor now.

Need to order system by end of week.

I don't think SSD would offer a big gaming advantage. A lot of delay with game loads is texture and command initialization with the graphics card.

If you went 2 SSDs the logical thing to do would be to Raid0 them which would nearly double the speed.

You can backup/restore SSDs much in the same way as normal HDDs. For a system full of games it's not worth backing it up fully. The stuff you'd want to backup is savegames and games that you've downloaded but can't easily download again if the drive is lost. I suppose these days since so many games are gotten as downloads it could work out to be a significant proportion of your space.

What helps a system in the modern day and is almost the cheapest performance upgrade - lots of Ram.

I don't think SSD would offer a big gaming advantage. A lot of delay with game loads is texture and command initialization with the graphics card.

If you went 2 SSDs the logical thing to do would be to Raid0 them which would nearly double the speed.

You can backup/restore SSDs much in the same way as normal HDDs. For a system full of games it's not worth backing it up fully. The stuff you'd want to backup is savegames and games that you've downloaded but can't easily download again if the drive is lost. I suppose these days since so many games are gotten as downloads it could work out to be a significant proportion of your space.

What helps a system in the modern day and is almost the cheapest performance upgrade - lots of Ram.

With playing MMO's i was thinking if any corruptions would happen on a SSD or HDD a full install would be required. As for save games most are done on the server side these days. Only i really need to backup is Emails and Personal stuff i download.

I really don't think a RAID setup for MMO's will justify the price.

With 16gb ram i could go higher to 32gb but i think that will be the most i ever need.

I would boot the OS on the SSD and put data on a normal drive.

When an SD dies, it's gone.

Throwing this out there:

16gb of ram is fine.

An i7 for playing MMOs is a massive overkill.

SSDs are fine. A 128gb is doing me fine for Win10, random non-game software, and a copy of WoW so it loads faster than off my HDD. I have my entire steam library installed on my 1.5TB HDD. So depending on how many games you own and what you want to regularly play, a second 500GB or 1TB SSD just for games will be fine. Whether you want a 1TB HDD for backups is another matter, and making it external is not going to change things - if it's left unplugged then it's less liable to be damaged by a freak power surge that fries the rest of your PC, but in my experience external drives are less reliable than internal ones over the long term.

For a budget of $3k, tho', it's almost not worth asking us anything.

An i7 for playing MMOs is a massive overkill.

Just wondering about World of Tanks and Warships. They seem to be CPU hungry.

Maybe go back to 16gb then.

I agree.

If you're spending 3 fucking thousand dollars, why ask? Its so much money for a PC that could have been done for under 2k, you're able to overkill everything and still have change!

8GB of ram is more than enough.

The lowest i5 is more than enough.

a single 500GB SSD drive is perfectly suited if you only play 5 or 6 games. they;'d need to be over 100GB each to use that space (few are above 20GB)

The cheapest asrock motherboard will run it fine. There is no 'better' or 'best' option when you're not heavily overclocking.

Just look at the 'recommended system requirements' for whatever you thin is your most played game.

Add a little more for 'expansions'.

Call it done.

I could build a top of the line gaming PC for $1600; would it be 'the best parts'? no.

Would the gamer himself be able to tell when he's using it? Not a chance!

Edited by Master_Scythe

Problem is the GPU its so damn expensive it takes up a 1/3 or 1/4 of the budget ,apart from SSD.

Motherboards seem all the same price about $200 ,np on that side.

i5's is what is confusing me ,so many types. i7 has only 2 types which i can see.

Ok just playing with parts list this what i have selected so far;

CM690 MK3 $156

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 Z170 DDR4 motherboard $277

Microsoft Windows 10 Home USB 32-bit/64-bit Flash Drive $172

ASUS DRW-24D3ST-BLACK DVD Writer, 24x OEM $55 ( its cheap backup )

Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming 4Gb 1178 / 1329 video card $517

960G Sandisk Ultra II SSD SATA III SDSSDHII-960G $425

32GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 Quad Channel [Ripjaws4] F4-2400C15Q-32GRR $229

Intel Core i5-6600, 3.30G, 4-core 4-threads, 6mb LGA1151 CPU w/fan $374

660W Seasonic 80Plus Platinum Series Power Supply $255

1TB WesternDigital Caviar Black Drive - 3.5", SATA III 6Gbs, 64M 7200 $137

I think that is all. PSU should be what you mentioned.

Edited by codecreeper

They're all about processing speed, and they're all well, well, well above what you need.

There's a good trick with PC parts, and thats called "Value for money"

For example (using random numbers):

Going from 3ghz to 3.2GHZ = +$30

Going from 3.2GHZ to 3.4GHZ = $22

Going from 3.4GHZ to 3.5GHZ = $100 <- RIGHT THERE is where you LOSE value for money. You dont take that step for the extra 100mhz processing speed.

If you go back to page1 and read the tweaks I made to DASA's list, thats what I've done.

I've taken tiny 'cuts' you'll never notice, to save really noticeable money.

And yes, its a gaming PC, your most important component is going to take most of your budget, that's normal.

however

Now we have seen how well these guys perform:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35880/xfx-radeon-rx-480-core-8gb

You have a GPU option that will let you run games at max, at 1080p for the forseeable future, and below $400

That brings my recommended build on the first page down to approx $2150 (Can't be bothered doing the exact math).

Ok just playing with parts list this what i have selected so far;

CM690 MK3 $156

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 Z170 DDR4 motherboard $277

Microsoft Windows 10 Home USB 32-bit/64-bit Flash Drive $172

ASUS DRW-24D3ST-BLACK DVD Writer, 24x OEM $55 ( its cheap backup )

Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming 4Gb 1178 / 1329 video card $517

960G Sandisk Ultra II SSD SATA III SDSSDHII-960G $425

32GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 Quad Channel [Ripjaws4] F4-2400C15Q-32GRR $229

Intel Core i5-6600, 3.30G, 4-core 4-threads, 6mb LGA1151 CPU w/fan $374

660W Seasonic 80Plus Platinum Series Power Supply $255

1TB WesternDigital Caviar Black Drive - 3.5", SATA III 6Gbs, 64M 7200 $137

I think that is all. PSU should be what you mentioned.

Its fine.

If I was buying it?

- Too much RAM.

I only ever game, surf the net, and listen to music at once. I dont render or anything. No game ive ever seen has ever used more than 8GB to itself.

I dont run Virtual Machines or anything.

- Motherboard is too expensive.

When a nice Asus or Asrock mATX board can be as cheap as $150? Why would I pay almost double that for 'no reason'?

- RX480 GPU

MUCH better performance, and saves you about $50.

- Drop the HDD.

A 1TB SSD is more than enough storage for me on the machine.

- That power supply is BULLSHIT expensive.

Compared to the tested and proven XFX TS Gold Series 650W $119

Where are those prices from? Thats pretty exxy on a few things; like the DVD drive for $55?! You can almost get a BD+ drive for that.

Edited by Master_Scythe

WTH are you getting those prices?

The power supply in my mind is overkill. No point spending over $100 for one on a non overclocked system.

That WD Black drive can be had for $35 less @ MSY. For the money you're spending you could get a 3 TB drive anyway, as in lower specced WD or a Seagate.

MSY have 4 Gig GTX470 cards from about $400-$470.