komuso

Recent recording

As many of you would know, I've been playing shakuhachi (Japanese traditional bamboo flute) for a good while now. I recently mentioned on here that I obtained my master license earlier this year, and around the same time, recorded a duet with my teacher, Kaoru Kakizakai, for his next CD. I don't know if the CD is available yet, but I thought I'd just post up a link to the recording for the ears of the Atomic community!

The piece is called Shika no Tone ('the cry of distant deer'). It's a traditional piece from the repertoire that is associated with the Zen Buddhist roots of shakuhachi playing, known as honkyoku ('fundamental pieces'), and is one of the only duets in that repertoire.

Link

• Like 7

My ears are thanking you muchly.

Between the constant rain and Walt tanking on the PS4, it's a bit noisy round here ...but I fully intend on a second and third listen.

• Like 1

many thanks

will admire more tomorrow out on the recently upgraded sound set up in the lounge room

• Like 1

Loved it, I am glad Eva called me over to listen. Thank you for sharing your art with us komuso. :-)

• Like 1

Glad it was enjoyed! Thanks for listening.

The long, quiet practice continues....

Hah ! Was just having 'nother listen ... it's easing my present state of tiredness.

Thanks RM! I be a male.

Another music person was asking me about this piece this week, and they found the notation interesting, so I thought I would post up an example. First page:

shika_zpsnesmbezm.jpg

This piece was first notated in the 1700s, but it was transmitted orally before that, originating from a temple in Nagasaki. Shakuhachi music originally derived from a type of religious chant called shomyo, and shared some structural similarities, but modern version of pieces usually remove many repeated phrases for a more compact and interesting performance. I know one piece that goes for an hour and five minutes; obviously that one gets less requests (:

Edited by komuso