Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

FTPS or SFTP

Remind me, without having to set up both protocols and test....

Which one allows for a 'password only' authentification?

I know one requires a certificate also; and one can just be username+password.

SFTP is the one you're thinking of, it uses SSH for the connection, compared with FTPS which uses full SSL/TLS and thus will warn you if your certificates are self-signed.

• Like 1

SFTP is the one you're thinking of, it uses SSH for the connection, compared with FTPS which uses full SSL/TLS and thus will warn you if your certificates are self-signed.

Thank you!

I wanted secure FTP access, but when I kept trying to set it up, it always wanted a fucking certificate file; and I just wanted username and passwords with encryption!

The requirement for certificates with FTPS is no different to setting up HTTPS. You can use self-signed certificates, but the client will warn that they are not signed by a trusted issuer.

That said, if SSH is sufficiently secure for your purposes, then so is SFTP by extension. It's certainly more straightforward to configure. Not just the server software, but also the firewall. FTPS uses discrete control and data ports, just like normal passive FTP, so you need a lot more open+forwarded ports on your firewall.

Edited by SquallStrife