scruffy1

win10 "free" almost expired

I never got it and don't plan to until 7 becomes redundant because i'm stubborn like that

That's a shame.

The memory management alone was worth it!

I never got it and don't plan to until 7 becomes redundant because i'm stubborn like that

That's a shame.

But how are you able to stand that ui? It just looks too modern, and everything is so complicated, jesus I sound like someone who used a computer for the first time at the age of 80....

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it looks modern, in many ways it reminds me of the crappy improvised windowed feel that Dos applications tried to create in 80 col text mode.

It's just a mystery to me that they took years to get the nice organic feel of Win7 then just started going backwards with 8. 10 to me just has a cheap look to it.

And applications are heading the same way. Modern versions of the likes of WinZip and Adobe Reader give you a similar ugly look/feel even on older OSes.

Ridiculously oversized text in some cases, extra clicks to accomplish the same thing. I call that anything but progress.

The UI is functionally the same for me.

In the bottom right corner, there's a start button that gets pressed to either right click and bring up a list of shortcuts, or left click to start typing to search for something (j/k, that's what the win key is for).

The major part of the bottom of the screen is still a taskbar. It's had no quicklink since, what, XP? Maybe Vista? so that's not a new change.

Bottom right.is the system tray, where I still misuse it by storing running utilities and shortcuts.

In almost every other respect, visually, it's the same as Win7 with a different skin than Aero.

In important respects - copying files, task manager - it is much better.

That's a shame.

But how are you able to stand that ui? It just looks too modern, and everything is so complicated, jesus I sound like someone who used a computer for the first time at the age of 80....

Disabled the "Themes" service.

Also, I tend to use BlackBox themed shells, I don't really use Explorer, so whatever the Kernel is underneath is all I care about.

In addition, I spend very little time interacting with the UI, and a LOT of time interacting with programs. It didnt change how my programs work (besides better memory) so I dont mind.

In the bottom right corner, there's a start button that gets pressed to either right click and bring up a list of shortcuts, or left click to start typing to search for something (j/k, that's what the win key is for).

The major part of the bottom of the screen is still a taskbar. It's had no quicklink since, what, XP? Maybe Vista? so that's not a new change.

Bottom right.is the system tray, where I still misuse it by storing running utilities and shortcuts.

In almost every other respect, visually, it's the same as Win7 with a different skin than Aero.

All my RUN commands are the same, </thread> as far as I'm concerned :)

That's a shame.

Disabled the "Themes" service.

Also, I tend to use BlackBox themed shells, I don't really use Explorer, so whatever the Kernel is underneath is all I care about.

In addition, I spend very little time interacting with the UI, and a LOT of time interacting with programs. It didnt change how my programs work (besides better memory) so I dont mind.

All my RUN commands are the same, </thread> as far as I'm concerned :)

It's not just the UI that gets me, my friend has windows 10 on his pc and I just don't like it, it just feels weird (probably because I don't like change and i'm stubborn :P), I did try to like it, I really did

copying files and task manager problems can be solved with external apps, and because i've been using a mac for school for about 5 years so i'm not used to pressing the windows key, I have disabled it with my keyboard and use it as a secondary control key in games, almost like I use control to crouch and windows key to prone, I much prefer it that way